Putting doors back on issue

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Anyone have issues with the hinge putting the doors back on , like it won’t extend out enough to put the bolt back in once the door is put in the slots .worked all last summer now 2 of my doors the hinge is like to far into the door and it’s hards to pull it out .
Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Yeah, that's a thing that's been discussed here before. I did it to my door once and the way I pulled it out was putting a screwdriver through the hole, door was upright on a towel, had my wife balance/it hold it up, I put a foot on the door edge and pulled back on the screwdriver with two hands like a rower. Popped out that way, I wasn't getting it out any other way.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Anyone have issues with the hinge putting the doors back on , like it won’t extend out enough to put the bolt back in once the door is put in the slots .worked all last summer now 2 of my doors the hinge is like to far into the door and it’s hards to pull it out .
Was thinking I was crazy a few days ago when this happened to me! I thought mine was FUBAR for sure, but I finally was able to pull hard enough to get it to come back out.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
I didn't realize anyone put the hinge bolts back on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleG

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Whatever bolt it is inside the door jam

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Grip it & rip it! It’s a PITA, but it’ll pop out.

Instarand

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I think I understand what you’re struggling with. Yesterday I had the same issue. When you try to drop the door back into the hinges do it so the door angle is open. In other words, imagine the door swung open vs a few inches from being closed. When you re attach the door with the door being in the “way open” position, that interior hinge/tensioner thingy that you unbolt to get the doors off in the first place is out of the way.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I put the doors on at basically almost a right angle to the vehicle, so the detent arm does not touch or scrape anything. Having already removed the single detent hinge screw , it's easy to position the hinge and door to get the screw started by hand almost all the way in.

Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Easy fix.

Have someone hold onto the door, and then YOU get a pair of pliers and pull it out. Easy peasy.

Side note, when taking the doors off, be VERY careful and leave them wide open when pulling them off so that the hinges dont pop back in. Same thing on putting them back on.

Made that mistake 1 time. All good now!

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I couldn’t pull mine out with pliers so I climbed in the Jeep and closed doors almost completely and took an extension and the screw and started it (turned) it a few rounds then opened the door it pulled them out. It’s hard to get your hands in there but I was able to do it.

OP
OP
LittleG

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
I couldn’t pull mine out with pliers so I climbed in the Jeep and closed doors almost completely and took an extension and the screw and started it (turned) it a few rounds then opened the door it pulled them out. It’s hard to get your hands in there but I was able to do it.
I was gonna try that but I was afraid when I swung the door open without the screw in all the way it would ruin the threads on the screw .And like you said doing it that way has very little room .

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I was gonna try that but I was afraid when I swung the door open without the screw in all the way it would ruin the threads on the screw .And like you said doing it that way has very little room .
I had to do all 4 because I pushed them in one night when i got caught in the rain. Didn’t have any issues I just opened them easy and made sure the screw wasn’t trying to turn to the side. I couldn’t budge them with channel locks.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL