Sponsored

Problem when removing doors

mvtiger03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I took the doors off today for the first time, and of course, I scratched one of them. So pissed!
My problem is now that I'm trying to put the doors back on, the hinge that connects the door to the frame has sunk into the door and I can't get it back out. I've tried pulling on it and prying with a screwdriver. Anyone had this problem or know what to do?

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@mvtiger03 ... Actually, what you are seeing is as per design. Yes, you are having an issue but again, by design and nothing is broken.

The item you are having trouble with is called the check strap/door check. If someone does not want their JLU/JL doors to be checked when they are on, they can unbolt and push the door check back into the cavity as you accidentally did. They can unbolt the door check, push it into the cavity and leave it there indefinitely if they want to.

Anyway, read at this thread and you will learn how to get that check strap/door check back out of the cavity and bolted back up. It will be a little bit of a project for you.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-jl-problem-door-limiting-bolt.4057/#post-77988

Sorry you scratched your JLU.

Last edited:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@mvtiger03 ..Well, you probably read at that thread and went huh... I can't figure out what that guy is saying he did.

Well, I had trouble understanding him to. Anyway, you need a lot of pull on that check strap to get it out. Yes, alot of pull.

What you can do (one of a few ways) is take the a much longer bolt and use it in place of your short check strap bolt. The longer bolt will allow you to reach to...to fasten up to the check strap and pull it out of the cavity further. After it is out, remove your long bolt and then use the short bolt to secure the check strap properly. So, guess you will be going to the hardware store. You will be careful next time not to let the check strap go into the cavity.

Oh, you might want to watch this video:

And this one:

Last edited:

Uncreative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
accountant
this thread is amazing, totally makes me smile!!! after 3 yrs in a jku and free swinging doors, my knees cannot handle the new door constantly being in the way because it didn't open! LOL

what is the long-term downside of making these stupid things recess out of the way?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
What a pain in the ass this is. Can't get it out with locking pliers. Guess I gotta go to Home Depot and find a longer bolt of the same size. With their inventory that's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
What a pain in the ass this is. Can't get it out with locking pliers. Guess I gotta go to Home Depot and find a longer bolt of the same size. With their inventory that's like finding a needle in a haystack.
You should be able pull the door nearly closed and start threading the bolt into the door frame. Once it’s screwed in with few good threads you should be able to open the door completely and it will come out.

whenever I remove my doors, I roll down the windows first, then disconnect the electrical wires and then open door completely. I then undo the check strap. Once that is off, I then can remove my doors. I just leave the door hinge post bolts off at all times.

bydney

First Name
Sydney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 4-Door
You should be able pull the door nearly closed and start threading the bolt into the door frame. Once it’s screwed in with few good threads you should be able to open the door completely and it will come out.

whenever I remove my doors, I roll down the windows first, then disconnect the electrical wires and then open door completely. I then undo the check strap. Once that is off, I then can remove my doors. I just leave the door hinge post bolts off at all times.
Thank you!!! We started panicking for a second but this worked for us :)

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!!! We started panicking for a second but this worked for us :)
Good to hear.
Next time just fully open your doors and make that the last bolt out before you pull off your doors. Then reverse order when putting the doors back on.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon

Yeah I did the same thing later on except with the longer bolt I picked up. Not hard to fix with that method but I'm surprised the locking pliers didn't get it done.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, I've had my JL for over a year, doors have been off 100's of times. (Colorado Wx!) I have taken extra caution not to run into this problem. Of course, yesterday I was out messing with the Jeep and one of my boys ran out asking for homework help and sure enough I shut one of my doors with the bolt out. I spent hrs trying to thread the little bolt and even tried rigging zip ties to the hinge and bolt and nothing would work. As often as the doors come off, I'm seriously debating on just leaving them pushed in as long as it doesn't cause any major issues, it is one (actually 4) less things I have to do to get the fully naked. even though it is nice to have these doors stay open.

Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
LOL, I've had my JL for over a year, doors have been off 100's of times. (Colorado Wx!) I have taken extra caution not to run into this problem. Of course, yesterday I was out messing with the Jeep and one of my boys ran out asking for homework help and sure enough I shut one of my doors with the bolt out. I spent hrs trying to thread the little bolt and even tried rigging zip ties to the hinge and bolt and nothing would work. As often as the doors come off, I'm seriously debating on just leaving them pushed in as long as it doesn't cause any major issues, it is one (actually 4) less things I have to do to get the fully naked. even though it is nice to have these doors stay open.
I pushed them in a year ago and have zero issues. I considered pulling them back out for the winter, but laziness decided otherwise.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Heads up I noticed my proximity sensor on the drivers door wasn’t working so I took it in for service. Dealer fixed the issue under warranty but also politely told me “one of the electrical pins was bent out of alignment” and to “be more careful when putting the doors back on” whoops!

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I pushed them in a year ago and have zero issues. I considered pulling them back out for the winter, but laziness decided otherwise.
that's where I'm at with my decision. I'm going to leave them like this for the Summer, I might throw some electrical tape over the it just to prevent any rubbing. My wife did get in the jeep and immediately asked what the hell happened to the door :lipssealed::CWL:. totally played if off like I meant to do it.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Yeah I did the same thing later on except with the longer bolt I picked up. Not hard to fix with that method but I'm surprised the locking pliers didn't get it done.
You have to consider the 3 feet of mechanical advantage you get when you use the door, vs a couple inches with vice grips. It *can* be done that way if you’ve been doing your push-ups!

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I did this today. I got lucky and was able to straighten the bent pins back in line with a popsicle stick...don’t use anything metal! It’s a little easier if you take the harness off the clip attachment to the chassis, but there is only enough wire in the harness to turn it back towards the seat so you can see inside.

in the future I will only use the white lever for disconnecting. It will slide back in with very light pressure if they are all lined up properly.

Wow...super DA post! I thought the original was about bent electrical connector pins. Well, maybe someone else might FU like me and try the fix.
Sponsored