Public Charging?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Anyone here have luck with charging stations in your community? I seem to move around in a vacuum of public charging stations. Some grocery stores have them but none I usually use.

I'm going to see if my company may want to install some for employee use. With our short EV ranges 4xe owners are going to be needy.
Sponsored

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
My nearest Whole Foods has two chargers, though you have to have the Blink app and pay a little bit.

My Safeway has two chargers that are free (and like 10 Tesla chargers).

Both are problematic because I’m not spending enough time at the grocery store to get much charge.

I found a parking garage near my work, about 2 blocks up from my normal garage. It has one charger that is free after you pay to get in the garage. Seems hit or miss whether someone will have gotten plugged in before me. It was available today and I went from 1% to 98% in just over two hours.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Unless you are going to be someplace for hours I don't really see the point of public charging either. It just seems like al a lot of hassle for what amounts to about a gallon of gas. Also unless it is free I have yet to see a place that would cost less than gas and most considerably more.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
Unless you are going to be someplace for hours I don't really see the point of public charging either. It just seems like al a lot of hassle for what amounts to about a gallon of gas. Also unless it is free I have yet to see a place that would cost less than gas and most considerably more.
My preferred grocery store has free level 2 chargers. When I do a full run (~1/mo) it'd certainly be worth it to charge because it takes about an hour for me to get through deli and meat counter and get all the fruits and veggies and visit the wine and beer etc. etc.

free.jpg

Sponsored

no.sleep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Billet Silver JLUR 4xe
My initial solution is to charge at a public level 2 charging station about 0.5 miles from my apartment. This is effective as my commute back and forth is under the full electric range, and the charger is free. I do stay in the vehicle during charging, but I bring my laptop to get some work done.

At my workplace, there is an outlet (120V 15A) outside that I can park near and plug in my included level 1 charger at work (with permission). I'm hoping this will give me enough charge while I'm at work to go home and come back. I just started doing this today.

I am working on getting some level 2 chargers installed at my workplace, as federal and state incentives make it stupid cheap to install at a workplace, so my workplace has offered to cover the costs provided I do the work to get them installed (contacting outside vendors and getting quotes, etc.).

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I was thinking of doing the same at work. We have an ESG focused company, that's also looking for way to attract people back into the office. The biggest hurdle I see is we lease in a multi-tenanant office building.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
All this " Free" BS, who is paying for this free power, the taxpayer or rate payer???

I thought the idea with these would be to plug in at your own damn home, if your under 16 cents/KW-hr, you will save money, if over you are spending more on electricity to fully charge the battery and get your 21 mile range on electric power vs simply using gas.

It costs the rate payer or taxpayer about 300K$ to install one of these "Free" Charging stations, I know, we get pimped by our PUC to put these things in, cost is spread among all customers.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
All this " Free" BS, who is paying for this free power, the taxpayer or rate payer???

I thought the idea with these would be to plug in at your own damn home, if your under 16 cents/KW-hr, you will save money, if over you are spending more on electricity to fully charge the battery and get your 21 mile range on electric power vs simply using gas.

It costs the rate payer or taxpayer about 300K$ to install one of these "Free" Charging stations, I know, we get pimped by our PUC to put these things in, cost is spread among all customers.
Nothing in life is free of course. It is still cheaper to use a "free" public charger to that person than to charge at home. The super large majority of the public chargers in my area are not free and the large majority of them are 20 cents a kw and thus more expensive than gas. It is cheaper than gas for me to charge at home or to use a "free" public charger. The free ones are provided by county government and I'd be surprised if they spend more than a thousand dollars a year providing free charging. The county's budget is over 1 billion, so I doubt it is costing those not using it much in their individual taxes.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Gave the ChargePoint at Whole Foods a try today. I was able to add 10 miles for no cost while shopping. While there are not many stations in spots I normally go, the paid ones around here seem to be about 10 cents per KW hr. That would actually be good for me still since my home rate is 12 cents per KW hr.

I did see a very shocked/confused individual checking the wrangler out.

Here is a shot hanging out with the Teslas. Please ignore the poor parking job.

Jeep Wrangler JL Public Charging? 20210501_151952

Sponsored

walkyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renault Duster
My nearest Whole Foods has two chargers, though you have to have the Blink app and pay a little bit.

My Safeway has two chargers that are free (and like 10 Tesla chargers).

Both are problematic because I’m not spending enough time at the grocery store to get much charge.

I found a parking garage near my work, about 2 blocks up from my normal garage. It has one charger that is free after you pay to get in the garage. Seems hit or miss whether someone will have gotten plugged in before me. It was available today and I went from 1% to 98% in just over two hours.
Great to know but you should have a pleasant Safeway where you reside, the one close to my home is so terrible my significant other and I allude to it as 'the one based on Indian cemetery' haha. The one near me even doesn't allow Safeway employees to use it.

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
Jealous of you guys with cheap electricity. We pay 23c/kw up here in MA. My office has subsidized chargers installed that I pay 12c/kw for, it's great because I use 90% of my charge to get to work, can recharge by lunchtime, and drive home on all electricity again. First time using the chargepoint app, it's pretty cool you can see local chargers, how much they cost, and if they're in-use. There are a few around our town, including some just off main st we may use in the future.

Jeep Wrangler JL Public Charging? IMG_5348.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Public Charging? IMG_5345.JPG

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Jealous of you guys with cheap electricity. We pay 23c/kw up here in MA. My office has subsidized chargers installed that I pay 12c/kw for, it's great because I use 90% of my charge to get to work, can recharge by lunchtime, and drive home on all electricity again. First time using the chargepoint app, it's pretty cool you can see local chargers, how much they cost, and if they're in-use. There are a few around our town, including some just off main st we may use in the future.

Perfect use case right there.
More and more employers are providing this amenity so EV adoption should continue to increase as a result.
Nice.

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
The only issue I had was the charger I pulled up to wouldn't work after 3 tries. The one I'm plugged into for the next space over worked first shot. The app has a comments section you can leave notes in, if the charger is broken or slow, etc. It's pretty useful.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Gave the ChargePoint at Whole Foods a try today. I was able to add 10 miles for no cost while shopping. While there are not many stations in spots I normally go, the paid ones around here seem to be about 10 cents per KW hr. That would actually be good for me still since my home rate is 12 cents per KW hr.

I did see a very shocked/confused individual checking the wrangler out.

Here is a shot hanging out with the Teslas. Please ignore the poor parking job.

You shoulda flexed on the curb while charging... :CWL:
Sponsored