First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Have had my Sunrider installed for over a year now. Initially, I was looking forward to a retractable shade. While waiting for the said, I installed an Alien shade early on to enjoy the full benefits of the Sunrider.

If and when Bestop introduces a retractable shade, I will consider it. In the meantime, I have what I need.
Sponsored

NickL

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
As we've mentioned in other threads we aren't planning to offer the retractable sunshade or Core Doors for the JL/JT in 2020. We keep seeing interest expressed here and other forums so we may run Kickstarter campaigns to better determine the true demand vs. a few member being very vocal advocates of getting these products to market. While we appreciate the excitement and interest it requires a lot of investment to bring a product like these into full production. Regardless, we been talking internally and the continued interest is keeping the idea of a Kickstarter-like approach alive in our discussions.

As for the tops for the JL we already have the Sunrider for Hardtop and Trektop. The new Trektop Ultra (shown at SEMA) should be available for pre-order in the next couple of weeks with shipments expected to start late February. Look for more info here in the forums and on bestop.com in the next week or so.

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Bestop, I live in South Florida. I love my Sunrider but..... I have been searching the internet for a shade that wonā€™t stop me from operating the top from the driver's seat. On other sites people say that they put in a sunshade and just park and get outside to operate the Sunrider top. Kinda defeats the purpose doesnā€™t it?
In S FL we get summer showers almost every day, mid afternoon.

when I ordered the Sunrider I had seen the retractable sunshade and didnā€™t realize it was only on the JK models. Iā€™m pretty sure that there's a high demand for a sunshade, just based on the high volume sales of sunshades in general. Please reconsider developing one. Before I "Rube Goldberg" something with Velcro or snaps.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
This thread went to a weird place....

@besttop, thanks for the replies. I too would be interested in a retractable shade.

That is all.
Ditto.

And I would be fine with the Kickstarter idea.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I really want the core doors for JL @Bestop. By far the best design I have seen, I will hold out for these, but wish I could have them yesterday.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
@Bestop, super tough crowd here. Keep up the good work. Itā€™s better to get the product right than deliver crap. I have had zero issues with my softtop or the wifeā€™s Sunrider for hardtop. Looking forward to your future products. Rome wasnā€™t built in a day. Thanks.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I'm disappointed that the core doors won't be out for the JL for 2020, but at least I know I can stop hoping for them this year and look into other possibilities.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I really donā€™t understand, how are we a tough crowd? We love their products, and want more. How is that so wrong? We wouldnā€™t be asking for more, if we didnā€™t love what they have. Isnā€™t this whole thread (minus the idiotic banter of one guy) a compliment to them, that we want more stuff they make, but for our jeeps.

If thatā€™s not how you read this, you should.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
I really donā€™t understand, how are we a tough crowd? We love their products, and want more. How is that so wrong? We wouldnā€™t be asking for more, if we didnā€™t love what they have. Isnā€™t this whole thread (minus the idiotic banter of one guy) a compliment to them, that we want more stuff they make, but for our jeeps.

If thatā€™s not how you read this, you should.
LOL. Thatā€™s exactly how I read it and I have said the very same thing to Bestop in the past. They have something we all want. Our wants arenā€™t going to increase production capacity. The engineering process is the process. I am happy waiting. Like other Bestop products, I know theyā€™ll deliver quality. In the beginning, if you ordered a dual top group then your softtop would be delayed. They focus on quality and their capacity is what it is.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
3rd time: only because it bears repeating...never did I actually, or mean to disparage Bestop--in fact nobody here did. Exactly what terrible thing happened here:

...I told Bestop, who most of us love (with our $) what we'd like (a retractable shade) but recognized that the company may have other priorities right now and that while regrettable, was something that would be respected. I subsequently recognized Bestop's unique roll as both OEM and aftermarket provider and how they must have their hands full.

Companies pay for this kind of market research which, as a result, came discussion about kickstarting the shade's release--which if it even never comes to pass, is still good talk.

Those who feel otherwise, please, ask Cassie privately if she felt that either she or @Bestop was disparaged in this process. There is a historical relationship between the Wrangler community and the aftermarket that involves enormous brand loyalty in exchange for customer input on future designs and priorities.

This dialogue produces happy customers that buy the wares of pre-market tested vendors, that feed said vendors and their families. Everyone is happy.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
@Bestop

Dont listen to these fools.

As a business owner I completely understand your reasoning. A lot of people(well, at least the handful on this thread out of hundreds of thousands) dont understand what it takes to engineer a good quality product, that works.

They dont understand if you rush a product through to market and its subpar and lacks usability it hurts the company, its employees and more importantly those who spent money to buy it.

If these folks want cheap product just because its "available", then let them get it off Ebay or Amazon.

I'd rather wait for well engineered quality over junk. A large number of us have big money into our Jeeps - last thing we want is crap product.

You make GREAT products!! Keep up the great work!!
I totally agree. I've been manufacturing products for over 25 years and the research, development, prototyping, scaling and production is a longer process than most think. Avoiding a recall for defects can determine if a company is going to survive so top quality should be job #1.

I do have experience with the sunshade on my other JK jeep and can tell you that it's not as good as the Alien sunshade but somewhat more convenient. There is a lot of flutter over 35 MPH and is annoying as hell. My friend has the same problem so it's not just a defective shade. That said, the quality is top notch but I'm not sure that "flutter free" would work with a retractable shade. The Alien is held with bungees but does not easily come off and back on but gives plenty of stretch for latching and unlatching. I bought mine on a recommendation from Rhinebeck01 and I'm glad I did.

I did take my sunshade off the JK and see what had to be done on the JL. There is no way to adapt it as the opening is an entirely different shape and narrower than the JK opening. If Bestop isn't moving forward there are plenty of reasons and other than this forum (or others) there may be a lot of customer issues with the JK unit and that plays a big part.

Personally I respect their business decision and based on my experiences I think they made the right decision.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I'm in manufacturing too (almost 40 years) and we make much more complex products and we get them designed, prototyped, tested, lifeline testing and to manufacturing in 6 months

I totally agree. I've been manufacturing products for over 25 years and the research, development, prototyping, scaling and production is a longer process than most think. Avoiding a recall for defects can determine if a company is going to survive so top quality should be job #1.

I do have experience with the sunshade on my other JK jeep and can tell you that it's not as good as the Alien sunshade but somewhat more convenient. There is a lot of flutter over 35 MPH and is annoying as hell. My friend has the same problem so it's not just a defective shade. That said, the quality is top notch but I'm not sure that "flutter free" would work with a retractable shade. The Alien is held with bungees but does not easily come off and back on but gives plenty of stretch for latching and unlatching. I bought mine on a recommendation from Rhinebeck01 and I'm glad I did.

I did take my sunshade off the JK and see what had to be done on the JL. There is no way to adapt it as the opening is an entirely different shape and narrower than the JK opening. If Bestop isn't moving forward there are plenty of reasons and other than this forum (or others) there may be a lot of customer issues with the JK unit and that plays a big part.

Personally I respect their business decision and based on my experiences I think they made the right decision.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I'm in manufacturing too (almost 40 years) and we make much more complex products and we get them designed, prototyped, tested, lifeline testing and to manufacturing in 6 months
What you make/manufacture?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
What you make/manufacture?
Well it's classified but I can tell you that the modules we make are included in our early missile launch detection systems.

They are under constant change and enhancements and no room for error.

Certainly higher on the scale than a convertible top!!!!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Well it's classified but I can tell you that the modules we make are included in our early missile launch detection systems.

They are under constant change and enhancements and no room for error.

Certainly higher on the scale than a convertible top!!!!
Lol your comparing the resources your company has...to BestTop?! That's hilarious.

(....is this Elon Musk??....just curious)
Sponsored