Sponsored

Premium Soft Top vs Regular Soft Top - differences?

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
My 2007 JKU came with the standard top and I bought a Premium soft top for it last year. There was a huge difference between the two. Now my standard top was 10 years old when I got the premium one but there were no more leaks and it just looked nicer and was much more quite.
I read somewhere that the JL premium top had strut assisted sun rider and the standard top was a spring assisted sun rider. I think I read that on Quadratech’s website.
Sponsored

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Hi, I ordered ours with the dual top. All white like your picture. I live in Tampa. Have yet to see a brand new Rubicon. I have only seen 2 Saraha's. 1 Red and 1 White. Are you going to order different Rails?
I also had the dual top with premium when I purchased my JLU Rubicon. I took my rock rails off and installed the rails in these pics.

JL1.jpg JL2.jpg JL3.jpg

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Reviving this one. In the current versions for the JL does anyone have experience with the difference between the regular and the premium soft tops?

venutoj

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler JL
Hi, I just received my jeep wrangler JL 2020. This my 5th Jeep. I made the mistake of ordering the premium soft-top for almost 600 dollars. DO NOT order this soft-top. It is fabric and very thin soft fabric. I should have kept with the standard soft-top that is much thicker. I can see this premium fabric ripping in the near future. I also believe bird poop and other tree droppings will not come out without scrubbing very hard.

On a separate topic why did jeep get rid of the zippers. SMH. They are back to the grove which is more difficult to install. I do love the mechanism to lower the top ....much improved. Love-hate relationship over the years.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hi, I just received my jeep wrangler JL 2020. This my 5th Jeep. I made the mistake of ordering the premium soft-top for almost 600 dollars. DO NOT order this soft-top. It is fabric and very thin soft fabric. I should have kept with the standard soft-top that is much thicker. I can see this premium fabric ripping in the near future. I also believe bird poop and other tree droppings will not come out without scrubbing very hard.

On a separate topic why did jeep get rid of the zippers. SMH. They are back to the grove which is more difficult to install. I do love the mechanism to lower the top ....much improved. Love-hate relationship over the years.
Everyone has an opinion, and yours is 180 degrees from mine. :)

IMO, the twill is worth every penny. Much quieter, warmer, and more durable than the sailcloth. Good riddance to the zippers, too, I say.

Non premium report of tearing: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-bow-supports-ripped.10981/

And another: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/attention-soft-top-owners-possible-ripping.14474/

I’ve been lurking on this forum since it started, and have yet to see a report of the premium top ripping as a result of normal use.

Sponsored

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have the standard and luckily no ripping at this point (10K miles). I agree with about the zippers in that I hated them and am glad they are gone.

That being said, anyone have any pics of these side by side? I just realized there was a color difference...

Thanks,

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I have the standard and luckily no ripping at this point (10K miles). I agree with about the zippers in that I hated them and am glad they are gone.

That being said, anyone have any pics of these side by side? I just realized there was a color difference...

Thanks,
the standard is a dark gray and the premium is a jet black. The standard looks more like canvas and the premium like a suede (obviously not lol).

i have both at the moment. Currently have standard installed and just bought a premium top.

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Reviving.

Anyone have strong opinions on the standard soft top vs. premium? Is it worth the extra $600?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
The premium twill is worth every penny!!!!!!! It looks 100xs better than the vinyl/sailcloth. It's thicker, heavier, quieter and is a perfect compliment to the wrangler. This is my 6th wrangler and I have always bought with dual tops.... the twill is so much nicer than the sailcloth period. But if you are going to be using your rig primarily for offroading...I would get the sailcloth!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Anyone have strong opinions on the standard soft top vs. premium? Is it worth the extra $600?
The black twill soft top is a deep black that looks very nice, no doubt, but I didn't see the value proposition for six additional C-notes. The sail cloth top on my JLU fits snugly, doesn't flutter a whit at speed, doesn't leak, and is much quieter than the equivalent soft top that was on my YJ. More to the point, I bought a soft top to lower it, and keep it lowered, for as long as weather conditions would permit. There's little point in paying extra for something that just looks nice when its appearance is recurringly hidden for more than half the year. ;)

Sponsored

Smoke ‘Em

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR
It was worth it to me.

I bought my JLR with the hardtop and just recently added the premium soft top.

I logged a couple hours in both versions of the JL soft top before deciding.

It was worth the premium when I ordered it and it has become worth it more as each day passes. I fully expected to go back to my hardtop for winter, but I realize now my hardtop is going to just sit. The premium soft top is THAT good.

I take several extended road trips annually in my Jeep and I just came back from one(2100 miles)with the premium soft top. I don’t drive 90mph, but at 75mph the noise difference was negligible.

As someone with experience with the older Jeep soft tops, the new JL soft top is beyond anything I could’ve hoped for. Truly a home run.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I have nothing to compare it to, but I ordered mine with the premium soft top for the main reason its a darker black color than the standard. I really like, zero complaints.

Did a three hour trip for the first time ever in my Jeep, and maybe I was expecting it to be worse based on comments, but like I didnt notice any bad road noise, and also like the entire trip was smooth the entire way even through a huge downpour. The Jeep is a tank, didn't wander for me at all, comfortable, and not loud whatsoever. I am also a music person so I am always listening.

Overall, I am super impressed and don't want to invalidate others opinions, but based on some peoples reviews I thought I was going to be in for a hell ride :LOL: . Complete opposite for me.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Could anyone that has experience with both Twill and Sailcloth tell me any difference in cooler weather, taking out/ reinstalling windows, flipping the front back ? I enjoy running top down in the cool of evenings, Fall, Spring weather. Thanks in advance
Sponsored