Premium Soft Top (ST) vs. One Touch Automatic (OT) top

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018 JL
Am I right in assuming (after watching YouTube and trying to decipher the owner’s manual):
  1. Taking the ST to “Sunrider position” opens up the car about as much as OT
  2. There are 2 latches and 2 straps to open/secure for ST vs. one button (up to 60mph) for OT
  3. With OT you can’t remove the back or side panels
  4. With OT you have glass back, and side, panels instead of plastic
  5. With ST you can lower the roof further, all the way down (if you remove panels)
  6. The OT is basically a soft top, so road noise should be roughly equivalent (or does the glass vs. plastic panels make a big difference)?
How fast can you go in a ST Jeep in "Sunrider Position"? Are their any other limitations/pros/cons I haven’t considered?

The Rubicon will be used in desert climate (Cabo area) after 1 year and for the rest of its life...

Appreciate any corrections and/or thoughts around this!
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Am I right in assuming (after watching YouTube and trying to decipher the owner’s manual):
  1. Taking the ST to “Sunrider position” opens up the car about as much as OT
  2. There are 2 latches and 2 straps to open/secure for ST vs. one button (up to 60mph) for OT
  3. With OT you can’t remove the back or side panels
  4. With OT you have glass back, and side, panels instead of plastic
  5. With ST you can lower the roof further, all the way down (if you remove panels)
  6. The OT is basically a soft top, so road noise should be roughly equivalent (or does the glass vs. plastic panels make a big difference)?
How fast can you go in a ST Jeep in "Sunrider Position"? Are their any other limitations/pros/cons I haven’t considered?

The Rubicon will be used in desert climate (Cabo area) after 1 year and for the rest of its life...

Appreciate any corrections and/or thoughts around this!
  1. Not as much. ST Sunrider opens up to the back seat. OT back further to cargo area back
  2. Correct
  3. OT you can remove back side windows, undo latches and pop them out
  4. Correct
  5. Correct
  6. Nobody has received an OT top to compare but my guess would be equivalent to soft top
I have driven on the highway up to 75 with soft top in sunrider position.

OP
OP
sten

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018 JL
  1. Not as much. ST Sunrider opens up to the back seat. OT back further to cargo area back
  2. Correct
  3. OT you can remove back side windows, undo latches and pop them out
  4. Correct
  5. Correct
  6. Nobody has received an OT top to compare but my guess would be equivalent to soft top
I have driven on the highway up to 75 with soft top in sunrider position.
Thanks, that helps! And then obviously ST is available and cheaper...

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thanks, that helps! And then obviously ST is available and cheaper...
Much cheaper and I would go for the Premium Soft Top upgrade at $595.00. The standard soft top is fine but the premium is well worth the upgrade price. It is the same cloth that is used on high end sports cars like Corvette, Maserati, Lamborghini and Ferrari to name a few.

Standard soft top is a vinyl weave and is thinner. The Premium is a nice thick cloth and is Jet black. It will insulate a bit better and block outside sound a little bit better. I believe the plastic windows in the premium are also thicker.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I saw one press review where the One-Touch noise was closer to the hard top than a soft top, but none of us know.

I have a Freedom top and a new Bestop Supertop NX. The soft top takes three minutes to open up. The primary reason to have the One-Touch is frequency and convenience.

If I am late and rushed to get to an appointment I drive with the top up. With the One-Touch I will have the top down a lot more. Over the years I have worn out several convertible tops on my other vehicles, just raising and lowering them.

The great thing about a Jeep is that you can take more parts off to open up the vehicle to the outside more. But you have to have a great series of good weather days to make that commitment. I can still make the commitment with the One-Touch.

If it was really cold when I arrived at work and I had the top raised. At 10am I want to run down the street to Starbucks, I'll just push the button and Wallah. I'll be back at work in 5 minutes depending on the line at Starbucks.

The One-Touch is just the next great Jeep Thing.
Sponsored