• Total voters

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
at first i was shopping for used wranglers and i did not want leather. ended up buying a new JL and a Sport was in my budget so leather not even an option lol. but i would take even standard cloth over leather. i wanted a soft top. the doors will eventually be in storage and it gets hot where i live. i had a mustang convertible with leather seats before and it sucked having the top down on hot days. for non-verts, leather all day long.

as far as long term, i was recently shopping for a used suburban. as an extra family vehicle to keep parked. i was looking at 2005ish subs. the ones with leather were just falling apart due to age. the ones with cloth still looked great. we ended up buying a 2007 with low miles and leather but the truck is like new still and wont see very many miles so im good with it. windows will all be tinted so that helps with the heat.

those premium Rubi cloth seats are nice.
2005 that's 13 years old. Even cloth going to look bad that old
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Like somebody said you would think after this many years Jeep could come out with a water resistant material or even waterproof they make aftermarket waterproof covers why can't Jeep make a waterproof seat. That way water or liquid doesn't soak into the foam and start stinking

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I have a 2 yr old, so I ordered leather. Was going to go with katzkins, but with the factory leather you get the trench cover and a few other items are wrapped in leather that I don’t believe would be if I was to go with the katzkins. Also, there seems to be variance with the katzkins installers’ abilities, I decided to go factory as it was similarly priced.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

2005 that's 13 years old. Even cloth going to look bad that old
actually pretty much every sub i looked at with cloth seats they were still intact. the bad ones looked "loose" but not all tore up. the cloth definitely outlives the "leather". i have a 94 Silverado (was my fathers DD work truck for many years) with cloth seats that have zero issues. my wife's DD is a 2010 lexus and the leather seats have seen much better days and already have a nice rip in the driver's seat.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I have a 2 yr old, so I ordered leather. Was going to go with katzkins, but with the factory leather you get the trench cover and a few other items are wrapped in leather that I don’t believe would be if I was to go with the katzkins. Also, there seems to be variance with the katzkins installers’ abilities, I decided to go factory as it was similarly priced.
I had the CAT scan in my truck and Suburban we put it in there after we bought them. It's very nice and looks better but it feels thinner doesn't feel as durable the factory leather feel thicker to me

Sponsored

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I had the CAT scan in my truck and Suburban we put it in there after we bought them. It's very nice and looks better but it feels thinner doesn't feel as durable the factory leather feel thicker to me
That’s interesting. I’ve always read people think the katzkins are thicker than factory. I guess it depends on the manufacturer though.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
That’s interesting. I’ve always read people think the katzkins are thicker than factory. I guess it depends on the manufacturer though.
We used south side trim in Arlington Texas. They do just about every dealer in the Dallas-Fort Worth area seriously. They are so good and very busy they are like the best they do it all they must be the cheapest because every dealer just about uses them they come and get the vehicles and take them back that's probably a plus in and part of the reason

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
I have a Mustang that I had a Katzkins interior installed.It looks fantastic.They did the door panels and console cover. I wonder what ever happened to hi-quality,super long lasting,waterproof,good looking vinyl stock interiors? I've had cars that were 40 yrs old and the interior still looked great. If I get a Katzkins interior on my Jeep I will specify all vinyl.
P1040565.JPG
P1040564.JPG

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I have a Mustang that I had a Katzkins interior installed.It looks fantastic.They did the door panels and console cover. I wonder what ever happened to hi-quality,super long lasting,waterproof,good looking vinyl stock interiors? I've had cars that were 40 yrs old and the interior still looked great. If I get a Katzkins interior on my Jeep I will specify all vinyl.
P1040565.JPG
P1040564.JPG
And in Orange ?

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Is the foam/comfort the same between cloth and leather? I noticed the leather option is listed as #1 foam cushion. I haven't sat in a Sahara with cloth seats to compare.
I thought the reason to get a sahara was the leather seats and dash why get a Sahara with cloth ?

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
I thought the reason to get a sahara was the leather seats and dash why get a Sahara with cloth ?
Its just another $1500, I like the Sahara standard wheels actually and the auto 4WD. I like the leather of course, but money, and the hot sun are the anti-leather party leaders.

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
And in Orange ?
I am getting into a bit of an orange rut. I have a Harley with factory custom sparkley Orange 2-tone paint. I traded an Inferno Orange Camaro for the orange Mustang. I am trying not to order a Punkin JL.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I would much prefer leather because I've always found leather in my other cars easy to slide in and out of, and they are easy to wipe down. No fabric to accept dirt getting grounded or grinded in, that never comes out. The 'too hot in scorching summer heat' or 'too cold on dark winter mornings' arguments never really resonated with me because the surface temp regulates in less than a minute.
But....I ordered premium cloth because the back seat in my 2-door is going in the basement as soon as I get back from the dealer. That will be my first mod. lol

TexasAG90

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
VP of Sales
The dealer finally got my leather in (it was on back order when i bought my jlur) and installed it last week. It hasnt been in the rain without the top and doors yet but its just a matter of time. Do the leather seats absorb water like the cloth do? Or if they get wet, can I just wipe them off and be good to go? Never had leather in a jeep before lol.
Sponsored