Sponsored

Power steering issues

Unrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 4door
Vehicle Showcase
A question here about our electric steering systems. I have a 2019 Rubicon with the v6 and 8sp, at this time about 16000 miles. From the first time we went wheelin with the rig the steering characteristics were noticed. Mainly that the power part of the steering didn’t work when stopped with the engine at an idle. It was necessary to just slightly touch the gas or hold the rig with the brake while raising rpm. That was when it was new. Now a few miles and with 35” tires and mopar lift. It continued to operate the same way until last week.
After leaving home the other day, maybe 5 minutes after start up on a 35 mph road it cut out on a curve. Causing me to increase force on the wheel to maintain my turn rate. But it only cut out for perhaps 2 second. So when it came back on it caused me to over correct and turn too sharply into the on coming lane. Scared the crap out of me. Since then it has done this twice more. Both times coming out of my drive way so not as frightening. But not right. I’ve been to 1 dealer that was unable help because they were unable to replicate the condition.
This rig has steered great up til now, no death wobble, nothing to bitch about.
Any body felt this condition on your rigs.
Any help would be great.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Software update. Go to dealer.

OP
OP

Unrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 4door
Vehicle Showcase
Software update. Go to dealer.
It has been updated once back in 2019. I for sure could be wrong, but this doesn’t seem like a software issue. Did you experience this condition and get it corrected with a update?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Dig around here a bit, I remember reading threads about steering dying or the ps pump kicking off.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It has been updated once back in 2019. I for sure could be wrong, but this doesn’t seem like a software issue. Did you experience this condition and get it corrected with a update?
There is a new recall and software version for exactly this problem.