Power steering fluid

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Anyway, for those that are interested, it is prudent to change the power steering fluid, every 40,000 miles or every two years of driving.
Do you have any references for this? I haven't seen this anywhere and 2 years/40k seems a bit early....and I would be overdue. I would imagine nobody changes the fluid in here as well.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do you have any references for this? I haven't seen this anywhere and 2 years/40k seems a bit early....and I would be overdue. I would imagine nobody changes the fluid in here as well.
Google search will net you info on when it is prudent to deal with steering fluid replacement in regard to motor vehicles.

Much depends on the vehicle / the particular fluid used.

Pretty typical is 40,000 to say the very max of 80,000 miles and then you should deal with steering fluid replacement.

As for your thinking "would imagine nobody changes the fluid in here as well" .... Well, I sure would like to think there are other's here that like me, know you can't / should not just ignore the steering fluid / any fluid at that, in a vehicle.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just installed the Apex boost kit and cooler, which essentially drained the reservoir, pump and most of the lines. It did not drain the gear box itself.

I just ordered some Amsoil power steering fluid for it. So, I think I'll purge the gear box of the OEM fluid as I would guess it doesn't have near the flash point, and high temp performance that the fluid I'm putting in has. I've seen someone post somewhere that they overheated their system and got some alerts. With the boosted pressure, I want as much heat performance margin as I can get.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Google search will net you info on when it is prudent to deal with steering fluid replacement in regard to motor vehicles.

Much depends on the vehicle / the particular fluid used.

Pretty typical is 40,000 to say the very max of 80,000 miles and then you should deal with steering fluid replacement.

As for your thinking "would imagine nobody changes the fluid in here as well" .... Well, I sure would like to think there are other's here that like me, know you can't / should not just ignore the steering fluid / any fluid at that, in a vehicle.

When the TSB came out to change the steering box on the 2019 JLU it was wise to check the fluid level after the box was switched. Some posters reported that the steering reservoirs were low after the gear was changed.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When the TSB came out to change the steering box on the 2019 JLU it was wise to check the fluid level after the box was switched. Some posters reported that the steering reservoirs were low after the gear was changed.
That wouldn't surprise me. The system has to be "bled" to get all the air out. If there is any air in the system, it will eventually work its way out by just driving it, and the fluid level will go down.

So...at the risk of needing a football helmet here, I looked into finding a compatible fluid that had a very high flash point to ensure my fluid wouldn't boil if it got very hot when wheeling with my newly added Apex boost kit and cooler (which ups the pressure from 1300 psi to 2000 psi). Almost all the electric power steering fluids I could find had a flash point in the mid 200F range. Amsoil's power steering fluid has a flash point at almost 450F, as well as a higher viscosity at elevated temperatures. That's what i put in the system a couple days ago after purging it of the remaining OE fluid.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
After servicing 3 different early model JL's this week and finding the power steering fluid reservoirs, quite a bit below minimum level on each vehicle...

I figured I would once again, come here and remind owner's..... ...Especially those owner's with 2018 and 2019, 2020 JL's.... to check your power steering fluid level.

Take the time to carefully read through this whole thread before you go out and check or buy/add fluid.

Get a good light and a step stool ... Climb up and look at the backside of the reservoir..... the side facing the fire wall. If you look real close you will see the MAX MIN lines. (Yes, it is possible your Max Min lines may be on the front side of the reservoir)

I had to really look close to find the lines. After I found the lines, I used a black Sharpie to make lines in corresponding places on the opposite side of the reservoir..

When the vehicle is cold... been sitting say all night fill the reservoir so the fluid level is in between the Max and Min lines..

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
After servicing 3 different early model JL's this week and finding the power steering fluid reservoirs, quite a bit below minimum level on each vehicle...

I figured I would once again, come here and remind owner's..... ...Especially those owner's with 2018 and 2019, 2020 JL's.... to check your power steering fluid level.

Take the time to carefully read through this whole thread before you go out and check or buy/add fluid.

Get a good light and a step stool ... Climb up and look at the backside of the reservoir..... the side facing the fire wall. If you look real close you will see the MAX MIN lines. (Yes, it is possible your Max Min lines may be on the front side of the reservoir)

I had to really look close to find the lines. After I found the lines, I used a black Sharpie to make lines in corresponding places on the opposite side of the reservoir..

When the vehicle is cold... been sitting say all night fill the reservoir so the fluid level is in between the Max and Min lines..

It's particularly important to check the fluid reservoir after the TSB's have been done where the steering gear has been replaced. This is the Pitman Box.
Sponsored