Sponsored

Power lag between shifting (Manual)

lastxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 4-door
Not sure how to describe this...

When I'm shifting between gears I notice there's not much power until rpm hits around 2K and then it takes off, almost lurching, like it's hitting a powerband or something. Especially noticeable between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. There appears to be a steep drop in rpm between shifts. I can correct it by running the rpms higher and shifting quickly, but then I'm trying to drive it like a sports car which I don't want to do. I've learned to live with it but I thought I'd float this out there to see if this is normal for the 2018 JL manual.
Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Sounds like your not reving it up enough between shifts. Take it up to 3 or 3.5K before you shift. You will have more power.

cowgirljeeper

First Name
Shaunti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Pearl JLUR, 1997/2001/2-2014 Rams, 1979 Ford, 1978 Ford step-side
Not sure how to describe this...

When I'm shifting between gears I notice there's not much power until rpm hits around 2K and then it takes off, almost lurching, like it's hitting a powerband or something. Especially noticeable between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. There appears to be a steep drop in rpm between shifts. I can correct it by running the rpms higher and shifting quickly, but then I'm trying to drive it like a sports car which I don't want to do. I've learned to live with it but I thought I'd float this out there to see if this is normal for the 2018 JL manual.
mine (2019 JLU) seems to have a power loss as soon as i shift to 4th and then again at 5th and yes, i run the RPMs up and then it like hits a dead spot when shifting past 3rd. Talked w/dealer and they have not know issues on record so don't know what could be causing it.

OP
OP
lastxit

lastxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like your not reving it up enough between shifts. Take it up to 3 or 3.5K before you shift. You will have more power.
The issue seems like the rpms drop off very quickly, like too quickly. I can run it up to 3500 and shift fast, but I don't like to bang on the gears like that.

dabial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara, waiting patiently 2023 Rubicon
mine (2019 JLU) seems to have a power loss as soon as i shift to 4th and then again at 5th and yes, i run the RPMs up and then it like hits a dead spot when shifting past 3rd. Talked w/dealer and they have not know issues on record so don't know what could be causing it.
cowgirl...long time no talk ... is it the pick up like if you are on the highway it just doesn't want to accelerate or does it feel like its stuck? I notice if I am in 5th and have to lose a little speed due to car in front of me or something it wont accelerate much (I get it its overdrive but nothing) but also you can ride pretty high in 4th with out pinning the rpm's I don't really notice anything from 4th

Sponsored

OP
OP
lastxit

lastxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealership said mine was "working as designed". It's not a show stopper for me, just asking to see if maybe other's notice the same thing, or if there's a software update or something.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
First, the engine has essentially no torque until 2k, which is why you experience this. Options:
1. Rev higher so that the new gear is engaging at or above 2k RPM. <I only do this when I'm trying to get up and go>
2. Accept that in daily driving with the rpms less than 2k you have no real torque to apply, so if you need to rapidly accelerate, it is accompanied by a downshift.
3. learn how to rev match and do #1, then you don't have the power loss on engagement. <This is a jeep, if you want to do this, have at it. I personally just don't care.>

I do not experience the power loss described by cowgirl in 4/5. If my rpms drop under 2k it is gutless, but I don't describe that as power loss.

OP
OP
lastxit

lastxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, the engine has essentially no torque until 2k, which is why you experience this. Options:
1. Rev higher so that the new gear is engaging at or above 2k RPM. <I only do this when I'm trying to get up and go>
2. Accept that in daily driving with the rpms less than 2k you have no real torque to apply, so if you need to rapidly accelerate, it is accompanied by a downshift.
3. learn how to rev match and do #1, then you don't have the power loss on engagement. <This is a jeep, if you want to do this, have at it. I personally just don't care.>

I do not experience the power loss described by cowgirl in 4/5. If my rpms drop under 2k it is gutless, but I don't describe that as power loss.
It's only a very minor annoyance when city driving from light to light, but you pretty much nailed it. I've gotten used to it.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have found that if you back off of the gas a little the lag is a little less noticeable. Actually gets through it a little quicker.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

This should be a sticky. Wranglers are first and foremost off-road vehicles, and that’s how they drive.

Sponsored

cowgirljeeper

First Name
Shaunti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cowgirl...long time no talk ... is it the pick up like if you are on the highway it just doesn't want to accelerate or does it feel like its stuck? I notice if I am in 5th and have to lose a little speed due to car in front of me or something it wont accelerate much (I get it its overdrive but nothing) but also you can ride pretty high in 4th with out pinning the rpm's I don't really notice anything from 4th
Hey Dabial, how ya been? i really first noticed it when on my usual route to work a certain hill that I had to downshift from 6th to 5th in my JKU i now have to basically go down to 3rd to pull the same hill in my JLU.

cowgirljeeper

First Name
Shaunti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I've just gotten used to it but thought i would mention it since a thread had been started, just to see if anyone w/a manual had this issue too.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The OP's post sounds like mine. It took me a while to figure out you have to be pretty aggressive with it. Don't be afraid to rev it to 5k before shifting, especially if going up hill. As long as you don't red line it's fine.
In highway driving don't be afraid to downshift two or 3 gears when needed. You need to go all the way to 3rd at 60mph if you need power on a hill. The power is there but you have to downshift and get revs up above 3k.
This engine seems to love to be revved. Once you're cruising, 1500 is fine, but there is no real power below 2500 or so.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hey Dabial, how ya been? i really first noticed it when on my usual route to work a certain hill that I had to downshift from 6th to 5th in my JKU i now have to basically go down to 3rd to pull the same hill in my JLU.
Different tire size between the 2? Totally different great ratios in this transmission as well.
Sponsored