• I ain't lettin' China track me!

Results are only viewable after voting.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I just found out about this today. Apparently, for those of us that didn't know, this is a feature on newer Polaris vehicles. It's also a standalone app on your smart device or computer. While it seems pretty standard for off-road apps, the part that interests me the most is grouping up. Say a group of Jeepers/off-roaders are out and about, they can group up on the app and suddenly if one person breaks down or gets turned around, everyone can see them.

Polaris Ride Command

Now I know that OnX Off-Road is available(when you're premium), and while it has it's pluses and minuses, I'm amazed by this product from Polaris. I'm honestly a bit displeased OnX, with all the revenue they've been generating lately I'm sure, hasn't gotten something like the Ride Command going.

I see this kind of thing as HUGELY beneficial in so many ways, especially with not being dependent upon cell signal.
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I don’t think it’s possible to know if someone in your group falls behind/gets lost if you have no cell service. But I’m not a tech guy. I could be wrong.

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think it’s possible to know if someone in your group falls behind/gets lost if you have no cell service. But I’m not a tech guy. I could be wrong.
They advertise that once person A and person B link up via the app, screen, etc., they'll each be able to see each other regardless of cell signal. I haven't been able to confirm.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

They advertise that once person A and person B link up via the app, screen, etc., they'll each be able to see each other regardless of cell signal. I haven't been able to confirm.
What technology would have those characteristics? Satellite?

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What technology would have those characteristics? Satellite?
They advert it as connected to GPS.

I'm going to download the app after work. I created an account on the computer, but the site kept not loading.

Sponsored

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
They advert it as connected to GPS.

I'm going to download the app after work. I created an account on the computer, but the site kept not loading.
Sure, but GPS is receive only. Can't relay messages through it. So each phone knows where it is, but would need some way of communicating its location to the other phones. On a cell phone that's limited to one of its built in radios: cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC. If out of range of those, out of luck.

Garmin for years has made their "Rino" devices that have a GPS receiver and a built in GMRS radio to transmit its location to other users so you can see your group on the map. But no GMRS radios in phones.

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sure, but GPS is receive only. Can't relay messages through it. So each phone knows where it is, but would need some way of communicating its location to the other phones. On a cell phone that's limited to one of its built in radios: cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC. If out of range of those, out of luck.

Garmin for years has made their "Rino" devices that have a GPS receiver and a built in GMRS radio to transmit its location to other users so you can see your group on the map. But no GMRS radios in phones.
No I get what you're saying. I haven't had a chance to check it out, but that's what they say. I have a buddy at work who uses it for snowmobiling. He says it works.
Sponsored