PalmettoMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hello all,

I want to preface this by saying that I don't have too much mechanical knowledge beyond the basics and would like some opinions.

I have a 2018 Jeep JLUR. Last year I went with RCV's and ran into some trouble at an offroad park and ended up busting a balljoint. I replaced the ball joint at the time, but have since noticed some vibration while driving. I recently took it to a shop to get it checked out and was told the inner RCV shaft had been bent. I was also told that I needed a new axle housing. The mechanic clearly showed me that the inner RCV shaft was bent, but could not explain why I needed an entirely new axle housing, which he happened to have a spare that he was selling.

It seemed kind of off to me because the numerousshops and dealerships I had been to since the incident at the offroad park had mentionednothingof having to replacethe entire housing, but had mentioned a slight bend on the RCV, so I told him that I wanted to take it somewhere else for a different opinion before dropping $3500 plus labor on an entirely new axle housing, which he reluctantly agreed with.

I'm unsure as to whether he was attempting to try to pressure me into purchasing a new axle housing or not, but did know the inner RCV shaft was bent and needed replaced.

What I'm asking is how can I determine that I do need a new axle housing or not? Is there a way to determine? Please understand that I'm not mechanically knowledgeable about these things and just want to ensure that I'm not getting taken for a ride and be out thousands of dollars for an axle housing when I don't need to be.

I've attached some images that I was sent also. Thanks!

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Screenshot_20221118_165440.jpg

Screenshot_20221118_165538.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

PalmettoMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The axle housing should be fine, just replace the bent shaft.
Appreciate it. I just have a weird feeling that I was being told I needed to replace the entire housing when I didn't need to. Obviously I'm going to have a different shop check it out and get a different opinion on it, but wondered what everyone thought since I'm not as knowledgeable.