Permanently remove auto start stop system

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Yeah, i have over 1000 miles on the car now and I've never had the start/stop engage. Guess I'm lucky? I could try to turn it on and see if it actually works, but if everything works otherwise I'm tempted to not poke the bear.
From your response you might have misunderstood what I was saying. The diesel will not start doing ESS until it has run a little while. If you don't have about 20min or maybe even 30min of run time on a drive it is possible you've never got the diesel engine to a point where the software will start turning the engine off.

I've also read about how some people can brake in a way that tricks the vehicle into not killing the engine. Maybe you naturally brake in a way that engages this bypass. This is something that people do across brands, often there is a way to brake and stop and then do a slight lurch forward before the engine is killed which stops the ESS from being actived for that stop. But with this I don't know if and how it works for the jeeps.

I'm not saying you didn't get lucky and the ESS doesn't work properly, it just seems more likely that there is another factor at play creating your lucky situation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

But with this I don't know if and how it works for the jeeps.
You can come to a complete stop in the JL with light enough pressure on the brake pedal so that ESS doesn't engage. I'd do it all the time before using an ESS eliminator and then a Tazer to leave it off all the time.

Rolling heavy

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic si coupe, 2017 honda civic EXLHB,
Yeah, i have over 1000 miles on the car now and I've never had the start/stop engage. Guess I'm lucky? I could try to turn it on and see if it actually works, but if everything works otherwise I'm tempted to not poke the bear.
You don't "turn it on" it is on by default and as others have mentioned works only when fully warm and no other high demand like a super hot day and the air conditioning running with the stereo on. If once the start stop is in the "ready" mode the only way to disengage it is to physically push the button which will then illuminate the button.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
You don't "turn it on" it is on by default and as others have mentioned works only when fully warm and no other high demand like a super hot day and the air conditioning running with the stereo on. If once the start stop is in the "ready" mode the only way to disengage it is to physically push the button which will then illuminate the button.
A Tazer will automatically disable ESS every time you start the Jeep. It sends a "button press" signal on the CAN bus automatically when you enable that feature.

Sponsored

IAMTHEBEASTIWORSHIP

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
if anyone is contemplating ditching their crappy uconnect stereo, the stinger off-road system also has integrated memory controls. i didn't realize it when i bought it, but the ability to disable ESS has been a great bonus.

dc3plt1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler EcoD
Hey gang.. I'm sure this is as stupid question, but I'm wondering if the auto start stop system can be physically removed from an engine? Remove the battery and any odds and ends? Is this possible? I know there are module that turn the button into a memory button that remembers your last choice so you can permanently shut it off.. but then you have that motorcycle battery kicking around under your main battery..

Dave
Disconnect this switch. Stop/start no more đź‘Ť

1708301D-C69D-47B2-844B-AD4BE12EDAA6.jpeg

First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU diesel sport, 2004 TJ rubicon
I undid the one pin under the hood to disable it there is a good u tube video on it, I still have that pesky light on my dash though

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I undid the one pin under the hood to disable it there is a good u tube video on it, I still have that pesky light on my dash though
Yes, the EVIC warning, knocks out remote start and more... Not at all a good way to deal with ESS. (It's a laughable way to deal with it)

Best move is to buy a SmartStopStart unit. Works flawlessly and no EVIC warning or other lets call them side effects. Or deal with ESS with a Tazer JL if you have a Tazer JL.
Sponsored