Permanently remove auto start stop system

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Maybe it is a 2021 change but my auto start/stop feature stays off permanently with the button depressed. Regardless if I key the vehicle on or off (it does not turn back on as a default). Turned it off the third day I had it and is still off with the button LED illuminated almost three months later.
My 2021, 2.0l ESS off button is not persistent after restart, wish it were.
Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I ordered the Autostop Eliminator, which is basically the same thing as the SSS, only cheaper. Plus you can use the discount code "GMTRUCKS" (found on this forum) and save $15, which brings the price down to $85.

After my warranty expires I'll take the nuclear route (skillfully outlined by @Jebiruph) and remove the ESS batery all together. It has to be one of the dumbest things Jeep has ever done in a Wrangler.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I ordered the Autostop Eliminator, which is basically the same thing as the SSS, only cheaper. Plus you can use the discount code "GMTRUCKS" (found on this forum) and save $15, which brings the price down to $85.

After my warranty expires I'll take the nuclear route (skillfully outlined by @Jebiruph) and remove the ESS batery all together. It has to be one of the dumbest things Jeep has ever done in a Wrangler.
@JDJL

The Autostop Eliminator has been reported to hiccup lots... It will work... then not work, then work according to a few on FB that installed it. It also has a far bigger footprint.

You saved $ but......

I would not have the Autostop Eliminator offering, if you gave it to me...

The original, SmartStopStart is the way to go... the SSS is not that expensive and can be resold for close to what you paid for it when you sell your JL/JT.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rikity

Foolish to do that for more then one reason..... Hope others here do their homework before doing as shown in the video you posted.

Guys/gals see such videos and just follow them.... funny...

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
@rikity

Foolish to do that for more then one reason..... Hope others here do their homework before doing as shown in the video you posted.

Guys/gals see such videos and just follow them.... funny...

Oh I agree, this question has been addressed on here many times before

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
@JDJL

The Autostop Eliminator has been reported to hiccup lots... It will work... then not work, then work according to a few on FB that installed it. It also has a far bigger footprint.

You saved $ but......

I would not have the Autostop Eliminator offering, if you gave it to me...

The original, SmartStopStart is the way to go... the SSS is not that expensive and can be resold for close to what you paid for it when you sell your JL/JT.
Good to know, thanks. I'm not worried about the slightly larger footprint since it's hidden under the dash anyway. All it has to do is last 2 years until my warranty runs out, then I'll remove the ESS battery permanently.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JDJL

Even with the Aux battery removed or jumpered out of the picture you will still need the unit do the deed with the button.

I do think you will regret going with the knock off. Like I mentioned... lots reported issues with same. I'd send it back and get the SSS which is known to work without any issues...

Again, just because you remove the Aux battery does not mean you no longer will want to turn off Stop Start.

Actually running with just the Main it is important not to use Stop Start.... you need Stop Start turned off.

By the way, I have been running with the Aux battery out of the picture (Running with the Main battery and Aux is alive and well for b/u if necessary) for just over 2 yrs now.... and well over 30,000 miles doing so. Never any issues...

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@JDJL I to have been running with a SSS module for over two years (40k plus miles ) on my 2018 and have had zero issues, I actually don’t even look at ESS anymore as it’s never engaged and my aux battery is gone but I do run with two full size batteries and no jumper as the ESS positive is connected to my main crank battery and ESS negative is disconnected on both ends.

Had never heard of the Auto Stop Eliminator until seeing it here so can‘t comment on its reliability but can tell you the SSS is 100% solid and if by chance it were to fail I would not hesitate in getting another one.

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not pushing for the Autostop Eliminator - I just went with it based on price and reviews (I could't find any negative reviews - through google or these forums). I also know Autostop Eliminator isn't a forum sponsor. I just didn't see what SSS offered for $45 more. They both offer 3 year warranties. They also have 60 day money back guarantees (90 days for SSS). So I have 60 days to try it out. If it's terrible I'll send it back. If it doesn't last, I'll report back here and buy a SSS.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Is the general consensus around the dislike for auto start stop with automatic transmission? I don't mind it on my 6 speed. When I come to a light, I take it out of gear and come off the clutch anyway, the auto start stop engages. When I engage the clutch, before it touches the floor the engine is back on and I shift to 1st and go. I typically won't do it if I'm in the front of the line but if I'm a few vehicles back I can take my time anyway so it's no big deal.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
My 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel doesn't have start/stop function enabled. Maybe the dealer disabled it for me?
Are you sure it is not working? The ESS on the diesels only engages when the engine is warmed up and not doing a regen. If you don't get it warmed up enough on a daily drive ESS may never engage.

flyingbear

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Are you sure it is not working? The ESS on the diesels only engages when the engine is warmed up and not doing a regen. If you don't get it warmed up enough on a daily drive ESS may never engage.
Yeah, i have over 1000 miles on the car now and I've never had the start/stop engage. Guess I'm lucky? I could try to turn it on and see if it actually works, but if everything works otherwise I'm tempted to not poke the bear.
Sponsored