Performance in winter, no lsd

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
So our family is really enjoying our first Jeep and while it’s likely not going to be off-road much at all, except an occassial camp ground that can be navigated just fine by our minivan, are biggest test will be the winter.

We didn’t get the LSD on our unit because the the dual top and LED light package combo was what we wanted and the dealer stock was limited at our price point.

Will not having LSD really be an issue in the winter? I have lived in WI/MN/IL all my life and always had front wheel drive cars and one AWD car and never had an issue. I’m guessing the Jeep will be more than sufficient but the more I read the more it sounds like not having LSD will be a problem on snowy and icy roads.

Is this really true or does BLD work just fine.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
It will be leaps and bounds better than your minivan. Don’t second guess your purchase, you’re fine.

The right person behind the wheel paired with some good tires are all you need to conquer snow and ice.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
So our family is really enjoying our first Jeep and while it’s likely not going to be off-road much at all, except an occassial camp ground that can be navigated just fine by our minivan, are biggest test will be the winter.

We didn’t get the LSD on our unit because the the dual top and LED light package combo was what we wanted and the dealer stock was limited at our price point.

Will not having LSD really be an issue in the winter? I have lived in WI/MN/IL all my life and always had front wheel drive cars and one AWD car and never had an issue. I’m guessing the Jeep will be more than sufficient but the more I read the more it sounds like not having LSD will be a problem on snowy and icy roads.

If your tires are kept fresh you shouldn’t have any big problems. That said, your Wrangler has highway tires.. if you’d paid up for Anti-Spin you’d have additional snow performance improvements from the All-Terrain tires that come with that option.

For $595 Anti-Spin the most important Wrangler option to have. The dealer I bought mine from equipped ALL of their Sports with it since the #1 occupation(s) for their Wrangler buyers are hospital employees- nurses and doctors. They can’t get stuck going to work, and staying home isn’t an option either.

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
My wife ordered her 2 door Sport S equipped as she wanted, which was standard except for Cold Weather.
The only option I insisted on was LSD. My 2 trucks ago RAM did not have LSD. I had to put it in 4WD every time there was 3 inches of snow.
And also, for the better tires.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Its way better to have it than not. You will have to put it in 4wd allot more not having it.

Sponsored

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
When I bought my 2017 JL Sport, I couldn't believe how well it handled in snow while still in 2WD. I thought it would be all over the place without 4WD. This is with the standard all season tires. Still better in snow than any rear wheel drive car I ever owned.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Just try it out this winter. If you don’t like it, you can always add one before next winter. Not a big problem.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I wouldn’t worry about it. The BLD works terrific. The LSD isn’t needed. I live in snow country. Rarely do I have to put it in 4x4. Also, those that aren’t really used to LSD end up in the ditch anyway. Rolling down the road, both tires will spin them right around. An open diff will limit that spin out and force them into 4wd.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have never had a lsd on any of my 4wd trucks and i have never had any issue with snow. As long as youre not trying to get through 2 feet of it, you wont have a problem with the stock rubber if you drive smart. The main thing is tire choice...if its mostly on street in lighter amounts you can get by very well with a highway tire with m-s designation ...i like michelin ltx. If its going to be deeper, you may want to go to a KO2.
But drive tires you have til they wear out, then decide from there with knowledge gained.
Mostly, remember, unless youre downshifting and slowing the truck with the engine/trans, the second you put your foot on the brake, the 4wd means nothing.....might as well be driving that minivan. Then, its all a matter of what kind of rubber you have.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I live in Chicago and frequent the Chain of Lakes, Lake Geneva areas during the winters. No need to second guess your choice. You will be surprised at how capable your Wrangler is even without the LSD. Everyone's advice about tires is correct. The all terrain tires that come with the LSD help in snow. Tires make the biggest difference. You can always replace the tires with KO2s if you discover you are having issues. I doubt you will have any issues though if you have been OK with front wheel drive cars in the past. Enjoy your new JL!

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
It will be fine. Unless you ate trying to drive though some ridiculously deep snow.

OP
OP

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks all. The Jeep I purchased had the upgraded wheels that came with the AT tires. I’m pretty sure that it will perform well in the snow and if need be, I’ll put her in 4H.

But as someone added, I suppose I could always add a LSD in the future, but I’m not likely one that will be upgrading his Jeep much. Not really an off-road type, just like the look, the dual tops, and the ability to not worry what I’m driving in.

But so far, it’s by far the most enjoyable car I have ever owned.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Thanks all. The Jeep I purchased had the upgraded wheels that came with the AT tires. I’m pretty sure that it will perform well in the snow and if need be, I’ll put her in 4H.

But as someone added, I suppose I could always add a LSD in the future, but I’m not likely one that will be upgrading his Jeep much. Not really an off-road type, just like the look, the dual tops, and the ability to not worry what I’m driving in.

But so far, it’s by far the most enjoyable car I have ever owned.
Trust me, you won’t need to add it. If you feel your wheels slipping, just pull the lever and pop her into 4wd. That’s all you'll ever need.

It will be fine. Unless you ate trying to drive though some ridiculously deep snow.
This why the Rubi can be a monster in deep snow. Lockers!

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI

The jeep will be better than any of the cars you mention, BUT There is nothing like winter tires. Regardless of your LSD or AWD, FWD, or 4x4, none of those things help while braking. I wouldn’t worry at all about not having the LSD, but I would make sure to have good winter tires in any car. The Jeep doesn’tn need them as much as the other cars you mention, but the Jeep with good winter tires will be your safest car to drive in the winter.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
LSD isn’t something that would cause a driver a problem in slippery conditions. Locking rear diff, on the other hand, could though.

If you have a specific situation where LSD can cause a driver to lose control, I’d like to know what it is.
Sponsored