People suck......

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Agree with the above, people will find a way to scam anything and ebay has become a playground for them. Craigslist is worse and even forums have their share of shitty humans. That being said, if I want to buy/sell something, I use facebook marketplace almost exclusively. It's easy to check profiles and make your decision from there if you want to engage the buyer/seller.
But to end on a positive note, had a nice lady call yesterday to let me know my car warranty was about to expire....I didn't even know.
I have bought a couple things on Facebook too...including a car. WENT GREAT.

Problem is, I am avoiding FB these days......between the censorship and political shenanigans that go on there, and them making BILLIONS on data mining my/your/our info and posts, I just do not trust social media anymore.

I had a call from the same lady......she promised great coverage and all I had to do was give her my social security number, birthday and a credit card.......that was a week ago....cant wait to get my great new coverage!

(JK!! LOL)
Sponsored

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry you went through that.

I had a somewhat similar issue about 10+ years ago where I sold a ~$500 Best Buy gift card (long story, it was for a return and they would only give me store credit) on eBay. Buyer sent money, I promptly deposited into my bank, sent the card, and then eBay/Paypal found out that they'd used a fraudulent method to pay me and wanted their $500 back. I refused and said that was not my problem and that Paypal should have done a better job of vetting the payment.

eBay/Paypal gave me the same spiel: we're going to suspend your account, ding your feedback, etc; but I held firm. I even removed my bank info and told my bank not to allow them to debit any money from my account. I was more than helpful, too: I had the gift card number still and the pin for it and was able to provide them with the exact location, date, and time it was used by the person who committed the fraud in the first place. Well, after months of going back and forth with them, sending tons of documentation, they finally acquiesced and removed the negative $500 balance on my account and apologized.

Moral of the story: don't let eBay push you around. They offer a service and are on the hook for when someone gets scammed.
Man that sounds like a nightmare.....and for way more than a set of used mats and shipping...LOL

You are 100% right and they shoudl have NEVER gone after YOU...like you said , tha twas THERE screwup!

Glad you were (eventually) made whole.

I do usually go after stuff like this like a pit bull on a raw steak, but sometimes it just gets so OLD, ya know?

Only so much energy anymore to "fight" and damn if it dont feel like we have to fighjt for EVERYTHING now or get hosed.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I didnt think AirBNB would have the same issues.....DAMN.

Were you hosed out of any money by the "host" aside from the last minute spend?

That sucks.

Seems like the milk of human kindness has curdled.....
The host ultimately did not end up with my money. But AirBnB said I had no recourse because they are just a broker and that the “contract” is between me and the host.

I have used AirBnB since that unpleasant incident but always make sure to have a back up plan. If it had not been a reunion weekend the hotel prices would have been more reasonable.

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Over the years every online market type place has gotten crappy. I pretty much won't use any venue that doesn't have some type of feedback system and that's just for buying stuff.
Selling stuff, that's a meet me in person and bring dead presidents. You check the item over and buy it, no returns. Also, I won't even attempt to sell something unless I feel confident it will bring in >$50, lower amounts just aren't worth the headache anymore.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Here's my take:

The title of this thread may better be written as "People Can Suck."

They can also be enormously wonderful, generous, and selfless people.

We, the human race, are capable of either extreme. We must remember that in tough times there are good people, and in good times to not categorically trust strangers.

An ebay story: me the buyer. A while back a seller advertised parts from a vacuum I already owned and wanted to repair. He was very specific that what he was selling wasn't a working vacuum.

His auction arrived as described and I, with parts I already had, was able to make two working vacuums: one from my broken one that the seller provided parts for, and one from his which needed parts I had.

I was so happy that I thanked the seller for being so honest, telling him my story about getting two working vacuums out of the sale.

He responded that I had restored his faith in ebay as the prior person he sold the item to returned it because the vacuum parts he sold didn't amount to a working vacuum--just like he said up front.

So there's all kinds of buyer and sellers out there.

Sponsored

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my take:

The title of this thread may better be written as "People Can Suck."

They can also be enormously wonderful, generous, and selfless people.

We, the human race, are capable of either extreme. We must remember that in tough times there are good people, and in good times to not categorically trust strangers.

An ebay story: me the buyer. A while back a seller advertised parts from a vacuum I already owned and wanted to repair. He was very specific that what he was selling wasn't a working vacuum.

His auction arrived as described and I, with parts I already had, was able to make two working vacuums: one from my broken one that the seller provided parts for, and one from his which needed parts I had.

I was so happy that I thanked the seller for being so honest, telling him my story about getting two working vacuums out of the sale.

He responded that I had restored his faith in ebay as the prior person he sold the item to returned it because the vacuum parts he sold didn't amount to a working vacuum--just like he said up front.

So there's all kinds of buyer and sellers out there.
Sure there are swell folks out there.

You and I may very well be two of em.

I have some stories like that myself.

But that doesn't discount how many shysters and unethical people there are out there.

I am out $70 while the "human" at the other end of this transaction gets to get away with his unethical and dishonest activity.

It is bad enough to have to go through this, if there is some recourse for the honest guy to try.

But when the fraud is ACCEPTED by the intermediate (ebay) that makes money on the deal, well, excuse me for not seeing the glass half full right now. LOL

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Sure there are swell folks out there.

You and I may very well be two of em.

I have some stories like that myself.

But that doesn't discount how many shysters and unethical people there are out there.

I am out $70 while the "human" at the other end of this transaction gets to get away with his unethical and dishonest activity.

It is bad enough to have to go through this, if there is some recourse for the honest guy to try.

But when the fraud is ACCEPTED by the intermediate (ebay) that makes money on the deal, well, excuse me for not seeing the glass half full right now. LOL
Based on the original post, was the seller truly facing a situation where the mats didn't match or trying to pull some funny business?

I get it, either way you're out the sale, but I'm curious as to buyer intention. You stated up front, essentially "where is, as is," and sold that which you described accurately, acting ethically.

Having also been, what I describe as, in times, screwed by ebay policy I get your frustration. Ebay seeks to portray themselves as protective of the buyer when in truth, their monetary stream is paid by the seller, who presumably charges more to compensate for this, and ultimately, this profit is paid by both buyer and seller: not unlike how a tax is in part paid by buyer and seller.

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the good news here is that in theory Ebay has refunded me the fees and most of the shipping....at least they said they would and my account says that right now.

Whether this will "stick" who knows.

I wont sell there again though....learnt my lesson well.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
My wife's Cruze was totaled by a distracted driver a few years ago. I sold those Weathertech floor mats on Craigslist to a local buyer. No shipping which was nice.

Craigslist has it's own horror stories from time to time and you have to be very cautious. I've sold quite a few items on eBay and have had good results most of the time. I've also sold some furniture for my mom on Facebook market place.

Purchased a pair of UGGS for my daughter on eBay where the seller was from Texas, or so I thought. When I got the shipping information they were coming from China. I contacted eBay and said I was no longer interested in the purchase. eBay agreed and PayPal gave me my money back.

Some people though always want to try to get something for nothing. The individual who bought your weathertech mats should have sold them to someone else as it was their mistake, not yours.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
first of all FUCK EBAY. I used to sell approx $60,000 worth of motorcycle and atvs stuff a year on it. I had some local motorcycle dealerships that I would sell off their excess inventory. It just got to the point that I fucking hated answering the dumb ass emails everyday from fucktards. This was back in the early 2000s.....

The one that made me decide to stop was a guy who sent me 17 emails about a pair of snowmobile boots. Like really, there is a full description in the listing, a photo of the box that also contains the full description.

RGardnerDC

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Willys
I also had a similar eBay experience and quit using them. I even had my account attacked and items were being sent via my credit card to people I didn't know. The police didn't care even when presented with delivery addresses. Luckily, I wasn't charged for the items on my card. No more eBay for me either.

Does this website allow listing items for sale?

I am on another forum for the Single Action Shooting Society. It is a close group of people with high moral values. We can advertise guns/items for sale at no charge for listing. Of course, they have to be sent to an FFL for transfer, but the deal is arranged through the web page. Very honest folks! People often trust each other so much the seller will ship before the money arrives! These are people who look at that glass "completely" full, partly with water and partly with air!

I wonder if a classified section would work for us on this site? My experience so far has been amazing. The way people here are willing to help each other, and me. I know we have many different personalities, but that makes it interesting. I'm going to leave with this:

" Life is sweet because of the friends we have made and those things which In common we share. We want to live on, not because of ourselves, but because of those people who care. For it is giving and doing, for somebody else, in that all of life's pleasure depends. And the joy of this world, when you have summed it all up, is found in the making of friends." Edward G.

Happy Mothers Day to all the "Jeep" Moms!!!

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Does this website allow listing items for sale?

I am on another forum for the Single Action Shooting Society. It is a close group of people with high moral values. We can advertise guns/items for sale at no charge for listing. Of course, they have to be sent to an FFL for transfer, but the deal is arranged through the web page. Very honest folks! People often trust each other so much the seller will ship before the money arrives! These are people who look at that glass "completely" full, partly with water and partly with air!

I wonder if a classified section would work for us on this site?
We have a pretty active one. Marketplace >Member Marketplace. Just scroll up a bit from here. I've done a couple giveaways on it.

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have a pretty active one. Marketplace >Member Marketplace. Just scroll up a bit from here. I've done a couple giveaways on it.
I posted the mats (at least I think I did?) but but no bites so far.

Part of the issue is that folks naturally are skeptical about buying stoff on forums from "new" folks......I know *I* am....I have bought tons of stuff from folks on boards I have been on for years....but I am always leary about buying from "new" people....LOL

So....I guess I am holding on to these damn things a while yet.

I actually thought about making up some cheap slips of paper saying what I have for sale and putting them on Cherokees when I see one in a parking lot etc....

But that seems creepy. LOL
Sponsored