Sponsored

People suck......

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Just have to vent a bit. I hope that this sub-forum is the right place....I apologize if not....

We recently traded in our 2019 Cherokee for a 2021 Wrangler. LOVE it.

As part of the process, I was selling the like-new Weathertech mats we had in the Cherokee on ebay and bought new weathertechs for the Wrangler.

I took many pictures of the Cherokee weathertechs and still even had the original boxes with labels and part numbers. I posted all those pictures on ebay. I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

I explained in the ad that they were only a few years old and came out of a very low mileage Cherokee.

The ad had clearly stated "no returns accepted, please look at the pictures and do your research and be sure that they will fit your vehicle" thinking that would cover me. Ebay states that returns by the buyer for changing ones mind or making a mistake is not allowed UNLESS the seller accepts returns, which I did not.

I offered the Cherokee weathertechs for sale at $99 plus shipping opening bid and a couple people bid.....sold at $100.

The buyer paid promptly. I packed them up in the original boxes and shipped them.

They got there and were delivered just fine.

Well a day or two after they arrived I get a message from the buyer saying "these do not fit a 2020 Cherokee as advertised and I want my money back...I will not pay for your mistake...if you do not refund in full I will pursue through ebay".

Now....after the fact, I found there WAS a bit of confusion with part numbers for the rears as weathertech apparently revised part numbers mid stream...but weathertech confirmed this and said the mats definitely do fit a 2020 Cherokee front and rear.

But ebay insists now I have to accept a return solely because the buyer claims "not as advertised"..... and if I do not, they will force it....I will lose the product and the money and have a dinged ebay seller record. If I accept the return, I can in theory get the mats back (on my dime), get refunded the final value fees...but will lose out on the original shipping and the return shipping to me.

So since I had no options, I accepted the return, paid for a shipping return label and now I wait to see if I get the mats back or not. I have to wait two weeks.

Weathertech suggested that perhaps the buyer has a GRAND cherokee and bought the wrong item -- he says that they run into that a lot.....

It has also been suggested to me by others and by reading similar situation posts like mine on the web that this is all a scam and that I will never see the mats back...in which case I have to go through ebay and pray I get my money back and be made whole.

I did look up the buyer's name and address online and they do NOT appear to be legit....so I am hoping that it IS a scam and that I will be made whole.

Either way it is a disappointing glimpse into how unethical people are today. And ebay's open-ended "not as advertised" loophole allows ANY buyer to make that claim and get a free product. There are videos out there showing people how to do this and how to get "free" stuff on ebay.

The irony here is that I used ebay rather than craigslist etc because I figured ebay was safer all the way around.

*IF* I get the mats back I am not sure how I will try and sell now.....after this I trust people even less than I did before.

I doubt the buyer is on this forum...but if they are I hope they see this and realize that they are screwing over a fellow human being for either their mistake or their for their scam.

And I hope they crap their bed for the rest of their lives.
tango_face_grin.png
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Going back like 17 years, I sold a college text book on eBay. It had pictures and an accurate description. However, I had typed in the books ISBN number in the additional item details section and eBay used that to automatically add additional item details.

I didnā€™t catch that eBay tagged it as a hard cover book. Clearly by pictures it is a soft cover book.

Buyer purchased and received item. He sent me a note that itā€™s the right book but not the hard copy version he ordered. I told him to pound sand. He filed a claim with eBay and eBay gave him the option of returning the book for a refund. He told eBay that wouldnā€™t work as the semester had already started and he couldnā€™t go without the book. There was more back and forth but eBay ultimately forced me to refund him 50% of the purchase price.

It was ridiculous. It had pictures and accurate description and it sold for about the same as other similar text books.

I donā€™t blame eBay. I think it was a terrible human being a terrible person. This person was a student at Virginia Tech. Iā€™ve hated that school since.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
They don't care! People like this have no souls, ethics, morals!!!!! Sorry...I hope I am wrong and you get back your Mats and can re-sell ....but I would try and sell local to weed out the undesirables! Ebay is the worst! I had a few bad exchanges myself and have decided to never use them again no matter, just not worth the agravation.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would not have thought to sell the floormats out of a vehicle I sold or traded. I'd recommend a good lubricant to get rid of the squeek.

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They don't care! People like this have no souls, ethics, morals!!!!! Sorry...I hope I am wrong and you get back your Mats and can re-sell ....but I would try and sell local to weed out the undesirables! Ebay is the worst! I had a few bad exchanges myself and have decided to never use them again no matter, just not worth the agravation.
Yeah I am pretty sure I wont try and sell again on ebay.

I was scammed once some 20+ years ago on ebay out of $700. Luckily I had paid with a money order at the time and when it was found that the "seller" was scamming hundreds of folks, I got most of my money back. I once ordered a product on ebay and got a box with a spnge in it....(I had NOT ordered a sponge)...LOL.....ebay took care of that. Again, someone scamming folks.

And I had once sold a vacuum cleaner part to someone on ebay and they claimed it didnt fit their vacuum. They slipped and said that they had a different vacuum than what the part was advertise for and that ended that. But over the years, not many issues. But again, I have mostly been a buyer.

But just the hassle and lost sleep alone makes this SO not worth it.

I hate "people".

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just have to vent a bit. I hope that this sub-forum is the right place....I apologize if not....

We recently traded in our 2019 Cherokee for a 2021 Wrangler. LOVE it.

As part of the process, I was selling the like-new Weathertech mats we had in the Cherokee on ebay and bought new weathertechs for the Wrangler.

I took many pictures of the Cherokee weathertechs and still even had the original boxes with labels and part numbers. I posted all those pictures on ebay. I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

I explained in the ad that they were only a few years old and came out of a very low mileage Cherokee.

The ad had clearly stated "no returns accepted, please look at the pictures and do your research and be sure that they will fit your vehicle" thinking that would cover me. Ebay states that returns by the buyer for changing ones mind or making a mistake is not allowed UNLESS the seller accepts returns, which I did not.

I offered the Cherokee weathertechs for sale at $99 plus shipping opening bid and a couple people bid.....sold at $100.

The buyer paid promptly. I packed them up in the original boxes and shipped them.

They got there and were delivered just fine.

Well a day or two after they arrived I get a message from the buyer saying "these do not fit a 2020 Cherokee as advertised and I want my money back...I will not pay for your mistake...if you do not refund in full I will pursue through ebay".

Now....after the fact, I found there WAS a bit of confusion with part numbers for the rears as weathertech apparently revised part numbers mid stream...but weathertech confirmed this and said the mats definitely do fit a 2020 Cherokee front and rear.

But ebay insists now I have to accept a return solely because the buyer claims "not as advertised"..... and if I do not, they will force it....I will lose the product and the money and have a dinged ebay seller record. If I accept the return, I can in theory get the mats back (on my dime), get refunded the final value fees...but will lose out on the original shipping and the return shipping to me.

So since I had no options, I accepted the return, paid for a shipping return label and now I wait to see if I get the mats back or not. I have to wait two weeks.

Weathertech suggested that perhaps the buyer has a GRAND cherokee and bought the wrong item -- he says that they run into that a lot.....

It has also been suggested to me by others and by reading similar situation posts like mine on the web that this is all a scam and that I will never see the mats back...in which case I have to go through ebay and pray I get my money back and be made whole.

I did look up the buyer's name and address online and they do NOT appear to be legit....so I am hoping that it IS a scam and that I will be made whole.

Either way it is a disappointing glimpse into how unethical people are today. And ebay's open-ended "not as advertised" loophole allows ANY buyer to make that claim and get a free product. There are videos out there showing people how to do this and how to get "free" stuff on ebay.

The irony here is that I used ebay rather than craigslist etc because I figured ebay was safer all the way around.

*IF* I get the mats back I am not sure how I will try and sell now.....after this I trust people even less than I did before.

I doubt the buyer is on this forum...but if they are I hope they see this and realize that they are screwing over a fellow human being for either their mistake or their for their scam.

And I hope they crap their bed for the rest of their lives.
Jeep Wrangler JL People suck...... tango_face_gri
Ebay sucks, people are just arseholes.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Parasites! I don't know what it is with scammers. Between them and big business I don't know which I dislike more.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I'm sorry to hear of your eBay misfortune but how many forums have you posted this story on? I've now read it on three different Jeep forums in the past 15 minutes.

Anyway, I stopped buying or selling on eBay years ago. Too many scams going on there, fortunately nothing involving me, but things I read about.

Since you're a member on all of these forums, maybe try selling the mats on one of them when you get them back.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Itā€™s always hit or miss with sites like eBay and AirBnB. You have to be willing to accept the possibility of total loss and include that in your decision making. Iā€™ve gone to eBay for auto parts that are only sold as expensive subassemblies looking for private sellers who might have the specific part. So instead of paying $300 from the dealer I can get it for $50. Sometimes the part doesnā€™t fit and I end up throwing it away because it is a ā€œno returnā€ deal. I found a great deal on an apartment on AirBnB and I was flying across the country to attend a reunion. The host ghosted all my attempts to pick up the keys and I ended up spending $1000 extra for last minute hotel stay during a weekend with jacked up hotel prices. AirBnB said ā€œtough luckā€.

Sponsored

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Sorry you went through that.

I had a somewhat similar issue about 10+ years ago where I sold a ~$500 Best Buy gift card (long story, it was for a return and they would only give me store credit) on eBay. Buyer sent money, I promptly deposited into my bank, sent the card, and then eBay/Paypal found out that they'd used a fraudulent method to pay me and wanted their $500 back. I refused and said that was not my problem and that Paypal should have done a better job of vetting the payment.

eBay/Paypal gave me the same spiel: we're going to suspend your account, ding your feedback, etc; but I held firm. I even removed my bank info and told my bank not to allow them to debit any money from my account. I was more than helpful, too: I had the gift card number still and the pin for it and was able to provide them with the exact location, date, and time it was used by the person who committed the fraud in the first place. Well, after months of going back and forth with them, sending tons of documentation, they finally acquiesced and removed the negative $500 balance on my account and apologized.

Moral of the story: don't let eBay push you around. They offer a service and are on the hook for when someone gets scammed.

Smoke ā€˜Em

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR
Sorry this happened to you.:( People suck. eBay sucks worse.

I used to be a power seller on eBay for many years. Dropped them close to a decade ago. No longer seller friendly. I do still buy from eBay now and then, but I will never sell on their platform again.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with the above, people will find a way to scam anything and ebay has become a playground for them. Craigslist is worse and even forums have their share of shitty humans. That being said, if I want to buy/sell something, I use facebook marketplace almost exclusively. It's easy to check profiles and make your decision from there if you want to engage the buyer/seller.
But to end on a positive note, had a nice lady call yesterday to let me know my car warranty was about to expire....I didn't even know.

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry to hear of your eBay misfortune but how many forums have you posted this story on? I've now read it on three different Jeep forums in the past 15 minutes.
Yep- I posted it on a couple others. I am members on other forums. Just looking to share my experience and get feedback.

Anyway, I stopped buying or selling on eBay years ago. Too many scams going on there, fortunately nothing involving me, but things I read about.
Yeah I hear ya. Hard to know who is legit and who isnt.

I buy a lot on ebay...but will likely not try to sell again what with e-bays new polices. i guess it depends on how this works out......but Im pretty much put off by this crap.

Since you're a member on all of these forums, maybe try selling the mats on one of them when you get them back.
I have been on BBSs/forums since the early 90s when they first started. Hell I even ran a few back in the day. At first , yes, I would buy and sell stuff from folks on them.....but over time the shysters and ripoff artists filtered in.

I have been burned a few times by "legit" forum members (NOT ANY OF THE JEEP FORUMS -- I am new to them all).

LOCAL forums are good because you can meet and exchange product for cash in person.

I have bought a lot of stuff from forum folks (especially for my motorcycles) but even on those it is becoming harder to not get ripped off.

Its damn sad. "One bad apple" as the saying goes.

So I dont know what I will do with the mats IF i get them back.

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s always hit or miss with sites like eBay and AirBnB. You have to be willing to accept the possibility of total loss and include that in your decision making. Iā€™ve gone to eBay for auto parts that are only sold as expensive subassemblies looking for private sellers who might have the specific part. So instead of paying $300 from the dealer I can get it for $50. Sometimes the part doesnā€™t fit and I end up throwing it away because it is a ā€œno returnā€ deal. I found a great deal on an apartment on AirBnB and I was flying across the country to attend a reunion. The host ghosted all my attempts to pick up the keys and I ended up spending $1000 extra for last minute hotel stay during a weekend with jacked up hotel prices. AirBnB said ā€œtough luckā€.
I didnt think AirBNB would have the same issues.....DAMN.

Were you hosed out of any money by the "host" aside from the last minute spend?

That sucks.

Seems like the milk of human kindness has curdled.....
Sponsored