Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking that BSG etorque is valuable from a performance stand point with the 2.0T because the turbo won’t provide any power until it spools up at maybe 1500 rpm. So, etorque helps the 2.0 get off the line and helps in crawling.

The V6 doen’t really need etorque for those purposes especially if you turn off ESS with a tazer.

I think I’d rather have the V6 without the BSG in order to avoid the add’l complexity and weight.
With that BSG on the 3.6, you would still have an additional 90 Lb-Ft of torque in the low end even if you disable the ESS function.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You should watch the TFL videos about how eTorque works. They probably explain it the best. But in a nutshell, the software has very limited times that it uses eTorque. You do not, for example, get 90 lbs/ft of extra torque on top of what the engine makes. eTorque is only used to get the vehicle rolling until ESS disengages and then you're back to 100% engine power again. eTorque is also used to "smooth out the transmission shifts" though I don't see how they could be smoothed out any...the 850RFE is smooth as silk already.

So my concern is that you've got a $1,400 MGU unit sitting on top of the engine and coolant lines running everywhere to support it, and the benefit is very minimal. That's no problem at all for the first 60,000 miles. After that, if you don't have an extended warranty you'll be hoping and praying that nothing fails in that system.

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
You should watch the TFL videos about how eTorque works. They probably explain it the best. But in a nutshell, the software has very limited times that it uses eTorque. You do not, for example, get 90 lbs/ft of extra torque on top of what the engine makes. eTorque is only used to get the vehicle rolling until ESS disengages and then you're back to 100% engine power again. eTorque is also used to "smooth out the transmission shifts" though I don't see how they could be smoothed out any...the 850RFE is smooth as silk already.

So my concern is that you've got a $1,400 MGU unit sitting on top of the engine and coolant lines running everywhere to support it, and the benefit is very minimal. That's no problem at all for the first 60,000 miles. After that, if you don't have an extended warranty you'll be hoping and praying that nothing fails in that system.
I’m with you on this I would have been interested in the turbo if it was just the turbo with out all the BSG stuff and batteries and coolant lines and poorly located batteries I’m thinking that the BS in BSG is just that BS If it was just the 2.0 turbo without all the BS you probably could have waited and I’m sure someone would come out with a programmer , exhaust system and intake and the 2.0 would make crazy power without all the extra BSG stuff To many things to go wrong for me If I need more power I’ll put a supercharger on my 3.6 I already have a $1000 I saved by getting the 3.6 to put towards a supercharger

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I did a lot of research into the system as I really wanted the 2.0 at first. I can see the benefits easily as the first few seconds of accelerating from a dead stop uses a lot more fuel than when its up in higher gears. That extra grunt in the low end from the BSG would be especially helpful for those of us that live in cities and have to deal with stop and go traffic.

OP
OP
Tonopah

Tonopah

First Name
Tonopah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon 2dr 6spd; 2005 TJ (LJ) auto
BSG/e-torque is completely justifiable on the 2.0 turbo because it not only helps with better fuel mileage but also helps with performance.

It is with the V6 that I have my doubts. It should increase fuel mileage if the driver uses ESS, but I don't see it increasing performance in any meaningful way with the V6.

If a potential V6 owner is not concerned about slightly increased fuel mileage, then the extra money, complexity and weight of the BSG/e-torque system for the V6 might not be worth the wait (for it).

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BSG/e-torque is completely justifiable on the 2.0 turbo because it not only helps with better fuel mileage but also helps with performance.

It is with the V6 that I have my doubts. It should increase fuel mileage if the driver uses ESS, but I don't see it increasing performance in any meaningful way with the V6.

If a potential V6 owner is not concerned about slightly increased fuel mileage, then the extra money, complexity and weight of the BSG/e-torque system for the V6 might not be worth the wait (for it).
It does not increase performance on the top end, but just on the low end. I've driven a 2.0 Rubicon and a 5.7 Rebel with the BSG system and they drive like any other vehicle, but just a very very smooth Start/Stop and the Rebel felt quicker off of a dead stop than my old Ram 1500 Hemi. On the top end its not active so a full throttle acceleration is just the same as a Non BSG equivalent.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
One thing to keep in mind, based on where you live. If you plan to take the Jeep into any elevation, the 2.0 may be a better option. The 3.6 is a great engine at east coast elevations, but it does lose power in the mountains of the west. The turbo holds up much better.
I've enjoyed my V6 and have driven to the mountains quite a bit. (V6 mt JLR) This Jeep can get out of it's own way quite well, though 6th becomes useless unless you are going down hill. It's there for mileage not to roar up hills after all.

I love my Subaru, but it'll be the last turbo I buy. The only motor I had to replace. YMMV

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i dont this the ESS tech is that great. unless your sitting in dead stop traffic 2-3 mins each time you stop. or at really long lights. 1-3 mins wait time. its a waste. it does not save any money it does not help fuel econ. but in the .0001% range. its there just for emissions. and frankly i still find having a 48 volt system with 3-4 batteries worst on the planet than a few C.O emissions that trees filter. ( if we stop cutting so many down. this is a different problem though) home many times are the batteries traveling via diesel ship back and forth from country to country.. how often do you have to come up with a grand to replace those batteries... IMO your cant beat the 3.6L cheaper, easier to maintain, and you can always add a Turbo,supercharger, or pro-charger. for a grand or two :) ....but turbos and chargers all come with premium fuel cost. anywhom I still vote 3.6 is the best route.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i dont this the ESS tech is that great. unless your sitting in dead stop traffic 2-3 mins each time you stop. or at really long lights. 1-3 mins wait time. its a waste. it does not save any money it does not help fuel econ. but in the .0001% range. its there just for emissions. and frankly i still find having a 48 volt system with 3-4 batteries worst on the planet than a few C.O emissions that trees filter. ( if we stop cutting so many down. this is a different problem though) home many times are the batteries traveling via diesel ship back and forth from country to country.. how often do you have to come up with a grand to replace those batteries... IMO your cant beat the 3.6L cheaper, easier to maintain, and you can always add a Turbo,supercharger, or pro-charger. for a grand or two :) ....but turbos and chargers all come with premium fuel cost. anywhom I still vote 3.6 is the best route.
yeah ESS helps us out quite a bit more than you think and it only takes a few seconds of idling to burn as much fuel as a cold start. sit even longer and your actual average will drop.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

yeah ESS helps us out quite a bit more than you think and it only takes a few seconds of idling to burn as much fuel as a cold start. sit even longer and your actual average will drop.
but its not. my silverado with the 5.3L without ess runs 23 mpg avg for work. i under stand apples for oranges but still. i dont think being stopped and started saves much of anything for fuel. stop and go traffic you really do not stop long enough to save anything plus your wearing the starter and motor more than anything. I have to admit i do not know a ton about the new ess but i do know that our mail trucks out here break down constantly due to the post master telling them they must shut off the engine at every home. I can say atleast once a month our mail mans truck is down for another starter. or a engine has gone bad due to the consent on/off at every house. ( i understand ess doesnt engage as much as that but it still shows that its hurting more than its helping) and its just my Opinion. and i am not a engineer. so i suppose its nothing more than an opinion hehe

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome

If a potential V6 owner is not concerned about slightly increased fuel mileage, then the extra money, complexity and weight of the BSG/e-torque system for the V6 might not be worth the wait (for it).[/
What ever happened to simple Sometimes more is less The less stuff to break the more likely I am to make it home from off-roading What ever happened to having a engine transmission transfer case and axles Jeeps were always simple vehicles FCA seems to be making them quite complex now I’m happy with the mileage increase with the 8 speed transmission over the 5 speed in my JKU I’m getting 2-4 mpg better I don’t like the ess on the JLU but at least I can disable it or put in a programmer I hope they don’t put the BSG in the newer 3.6s or I’ll be driving this one a long time I’ll leave the 48 volt batteries in my golf cart I don’t want them underneath my Jeep with the aluminum foil skid plate I didn’t buy my Jeep for mileage but more for it’s off road capabilities and traveling in the snow and it’s great resale I’ll put a few extra dollars in the tank but you’ll get some back at trade in time Keep it simple

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

What ever happened to simple Sometimes more is less The less stuff to break the more likely I am to make it home from off-roading What ever happened to having a engine transmission transfer case and axles Jeeps were always simple vehicles FCA seems to be making them quite complex now I’m happy with the mileage increase with the 8 speed transmission over the 5 speed in my JKU I’m getting 2-4 mpg better I don’t like the ess on the JLU but at least I can disable it or put in a programmer I hope they don’t put the BSG in the newer 3.6s or I’ll be driving this one a long time I’ll leave the 48 volt batteries in my golf cart I don’t want them underneath my Jeep with the aluminum foil skid plate I didn’t buy my Jeep for mileage but more for it’s off road capabilities and traveling in the snow and it’s great resale I’ll put a few extra dollars in the tank but you’ll get some back at trade in time Keep it simple
what is that old quote " keep it simple stupid" does that come into play? LOL, i have to agree with you. this is one of the reasons i have kept my 1976 gmc 4x4, no electronics so make my motor sip and sputter like when a 02 sensor goes out. lol. just clean the old carb out and a quick cap rotor and plugs and its all good. I will admit though its not as good off-road as the Jeep is now a days but still its a blast to take out and drive around and i can sit in the engine compartment and work on it even at 6'1". LOL

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
@JlEngineline

I think I read in one of your posts that the V6 BSG implementation will be delayed until next summer?
Sponsored