Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Yes, new. Yes, walked around and inspected thoroughly but obviously I missed the damage. In my case and others similar, the damage was inflicted at the factory - they took what I’m certain was a good to spec stamped aluminum sheet metal hood and damaged it while attaching hood rests. Ridiculous and unacceptable. Or not...
The dealer and you missed it, that's okay, what did the dealer do about it?
I don't know if supermike has a new 2021, but on his profile, it says a 2018?
Sponsored

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Yeah supermike has a new 21 Rubi 392.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Jeep Cares instructed me to take it in for an inspection and documentation (photos). The service manager acknowledged the problem and said in all of her years, she had never seen anything like this. Distortions in the panels around lower door hinges - every day. Orange peel paint finish - the norm. But what I showed her? Never. This seemed implausible to me given just how many JLs I’ve seen that have the exact same damage. Her solution was to send it to a body shop for repair. I asked her what that would entail and she predicted that they would remove the rests, work the metal out and repaint. Or, order a new hood and paint it.
I think I’ll pass, thank you.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
That’s a steel hood for JT Mojave but they still needs to line up.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
This discussion reminds me of my thread from last month regarding the indents around my windshield rests. I had a similar frustration with Jeep’s quality control where they let poor workmanship pass as acceptable. I see the same factory damage on so many new JLs now that I have conceded that it must normal (or a “Jeep thing”). Mine is running great and it’s a blast to drive so I’m going to live with it as is.
960FBB6F-0D93-457D-BAEE-3417233261A6.jpeg
My guess is that someone was looking at the engine compartment, while your Jeep was at the dealership, and let the hood fly backwards. The stops hit the top of the windshield frame, and the heavy hood took the beating.
Why would you buy it, if the hood was damaged like that? All you had to do was look at the others on the lot, to see this hood damage wasnt normal.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Jeep Cares instructed me to take it in for an inspection and documentation (photos). The service manager acknowledged the problem and said in all of her years, she had never seen anything like this. Distortions in the panels around lower door hinges - every day. Orange peel paint finish - the norm. But what I showed her? Never. This seemed implausible to me given just how many JLs I’ve seen that have the exact same damage. Her solution was to send it to a body shop for repair. I asked her what that would entail and she predicted that they would remove the rests, work the metal out and repaint. Or, order a new hood and paint it.
I think I’ll pass, thank you.
I would make them get a new hood and paint it, if it didn't look right, make them do it over again!
I would look for another dealer if they couldn't do it right.
My truck was hit and my local dealer fixed it, this is the same dealer I bought my 2015 JKU from, when my 2015 was hit, I sent it to the same dealer, because they did such a great job on my truck.
The 2015 JKU was totaled , so I bought my 2019 JLU from that dealer.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
My guess is that someone was looking at the engine compartment, while your Jeep was at the dealership, and let the hood fly backwards. The stops hit the top of the windshield frame, and the heavy hood took the beating.
Why would you buy it, if the hood was damaged like that? All you had to do was look at the others on the lot, to see this hood damage wasnt normal.
The rests don't make contact with anything when the hood is all the way back. If someone threw the hood open during prep, damage would be done to the front portion of the hood's paint and metal.
Like I said earlier, I missed it at delivery. In a related thread here, a number of owners reported having the exact same damage since new.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I would make them get a new hood and paint it, if it didn't look right, make them do it over again!
I would look for another dealer if they couldn't do it right.
My truck was hit and my local dealer fixed it, this is the same dealer I bought my 2015 JKU from, when my 2015 was hit, I sent it to the same dealer, because they did such a great job on my truck.
The 2015 JKU was totaled , so I bought my 2019 JLU from that dealer.
Jeep will fix it if I decide to let them. I was told that I have 3 years/36K miles to decide and to maybe wait until the hinges start bubbling and have all of the work done at the same time. She wasn't trying to be funny. She was serious, as if the bubbling around the hinges was inevitable.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
It's not hard to see how the factory missed it. The hood was up when they inspect that area for defects. lol

Jeep Wrangler JL Panel gap and new sticker found 1628511481102

Last edited:

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Not these days… nope!
LOL! If you don't make 4mm panel gaps, I am going to request that HR put you each on a 12 month remediation plan, and we will review your feelings prior to making a final decision to make sure that your psychological safety is maintained. In the event that you are a part of an unplanned headcount reduction, we will provide you with 12 months severance.

Sponsored

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
LOL! If you don't make 4mm panel gaps, I am going to request that HR put you each on a 12 month remediation plan, and we will review your feelings prior to making a final decision to make sure that your psychological safety is maintained. In the event that you are a part of an unplanned headcount reduction, we will provide you with 12 months severance.
More like “we’re greatly sorry you’re a screw up! Please, dont cry or worry, we wouldnt want you to have lasting disabilities.”

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Union guys earning their pay! Impressive.
[/Q Just remember Union members do not have the last say on shipping a vehicle POS white shirts do all they want is numbers . End of subject

BobT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2013 Dart
Im bald. 😞

😂. Well not bald but I shave my head. Yes hair dryers work great to heat and remove stickers and decals.
Does that mean you have experience removing stickers from your head?
Sponsored