Sponsored

Painting Manual Reverse Lockout

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Hey everyone,

I have a new JLU Sport Altitude in Sting Gray. I'm in LOVE with it, except for one SMALL detail - the red reverse lockout ring. Has anyone had luck painting this bad boy and it not wearing off after a few drives?

Thanks in advance!

Jeep Wrangler JL Painting Manual Reverse Lockout 1616507703654
Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
My Sport is orange so the red ring looks particularly bad. There’s a thread in here somewhere about removing the knob so you can get at the ring. It’s not as straightforward as it might seem. You might be better off trying to find a replacement ring of a non-offensive color. Idk what it’s made of but it seems like it might not be the easiest to paint. Please let us know how it goes for you. Like 2 door owners the stick owners are pariahs so options tend to be limited.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i was just thinking about this as well, im going to follow the video for removing the shifter, and just spray the lockout either black or i may color match it to my jeep and my dash which is orange.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
i was just thinking about this as well, im going to follow the video for removing the shifter, and just spray the lockout either black or i may color match it to my jeep and my dash which is orange.
I have some leftover Punk’n paint from when I color matched my AmFib low mount snorkel so I’m going to try that whenever I get around to it.

Sponsored

amazinggrace1330

First Name
Grace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
I am in the same boat! I HATE the red. Were you able to remove And paint it? Looking for advice.

Last edited:

amazinggrace1330

First Name
Grace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
Hey everyone,

I have a new JLU Sport Altitude in Sting Gray. I'm in LOVE with it, except for one SMALL detail - the red reverse lockout ring. Has anyone had luck painting this bad boy and it not wearing off after a few drives?

Thanks in advance!

Jeep Wrangler JL Painting Manual Reverse Lockout 1616507703654
I hate the red too! Did you have any luck with removing and painting it?

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
I bet you can probably vinyl wrap it without having to disassemble anything.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have some leftover Punk’n paint from when I color matched my AmFib low mount snorkel so I’m going to try that whenever I get around to it.
a bit off topic but did you have to prep the AmFib plastic parts at all to paint them? I've heard that the paint won't hold on the plastic hence my question.

Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I am in the same boat! I HATE the red. Were you able to remove And paint it? Looking for advice.
i did. i removed both pieces, cleaned with a wax and silicone remover, lightly sanded with some 2k grit sanding cloths. wash, prime sand. then paint and lightly sand, then clear. some say to use a plastic adhesion promoter. i didnt, but i am going to redo the one side this winter because when i untaped the guage holes, i peeled the paint a little. so i am going to redo it just to be safe.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I bet you can probably vinyl wrap it without having to disassemble anything.
many on this forum have tried and said its a pain in the ass, and ultimately were unhappy with the results.

amazinggrace1330

First Name
Grace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited
I ended up painting mine with model paint brushes without taking it off. I did prep it with rubbing alcohol and I’m not sure how it will hold up but I am happy with the results.

Jeep Wrangler JL Painting Manual Reverse Lockout 135A7DBF-1469-465C-AF0F-60476553153F
Sponsored