Paint color for Rubicon grill inserts.

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
I’ve been searching this post for the color of the Rubicon grill inserts to no avail, until NC Jeeper gave me the goods.... painted them this week and swapped out my black tow hooks for red ones. Came out fantastic. Thanks NC Jeeper.

This is actually a Sport and I painted the eBay plastic inserts. Just primed them and put like 4-5 coats on.

90B2F7CF-E38A-4BB0-BD52-59594D955CEE.jpeg

770A3136-51B7-4211-829D-60BFF694A486.jpeg
Sponsored

Corkscrew67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL MOAB 2019
hi there. i love what you did with the red tow hooks. what brand and color did you use or did you actually buy OEM Red hardware?

OP
OP

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
hi there. i love what you did with the red tow hooks. what brand and color did you use or did you actually buy OEM Red hardware?
I actually bought ones off of someone’s Rubi on this forum.

Sponsored

JeepChak12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazda Miata GT
I’ve been searching this post for the color of the Rubicon grill inserts to no avail, until NC Jeeper gave me the goods.... painted them this week and swapped out my black tow hooks for red ones. Came out fantastic. Thanks NC Jeeper.

This is actually a Sport and I painted the eBay plastic inserts. Just primed them and put like 4-5 coats on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Paint color for Rubicon grill inserts. 770A3136-51B7-4211-829D-60BFF694A486

Jeep Wrangler JL Paint color for Rubicon grill inserts. 770A3136-51B7-4211-829D-60BFF694A486
Just to confirm, you used that rust-oleum Custom black stainless steel lacquer paint on the grill and bumper inserts? It looks great, just want to confirm the color. I’m about to do this exact thing in my gladiator overland.

OP
OP

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
Just to confirm, you used that rust-oleum Custom black stainless steel lacquer paint on the grill and bumper inserts? It looks great, just want to confirm the color. I’m about to do this exact thing in my gladiator overland.
Yes. Got it from auto zone. I primed them with a plastic primer as well. If I did it again I may have scuffed them up a bit to help the paint hold even more. Also, may have put a few coats of clear on top to protect them. They get a little chipped up. I just touch them up with a small artists brush and it’s fine

Sponsored

OP
OP

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
How difficult were the old ones to remove?
I have a sport with the cheap eBay tape in inserts. I did however take off my grill and take it completely apart along with my bumper to paint them. I just went slow and collected all the little screws and was careful with the clips. If you take your time there are videos on YouTube and advice on the forum, it wasn’t very difficult at all.

OP
OP

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
I have a sport with the cheap eBay tape in inserts. I did however take off my grill and take it completely apart along with my bumper to paint them. I just went slow and collected all the little screws and was careful with the clips. If you take your time there are videos on YouTube and advice on the forum, it wasn’t very difficult at all.
The bumper inserts were probably the toughest. Have to be very patient when popping them out. Some people just taped them and painted them in place. A hair dryer can soften the plastic and mdd and make the clips a little easier to pop out. Make sure to put blankets down so you don’t scratch your bumper or your grill before you take them apart.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
This might be a little of a side track, but I've been looking to buy the Willy's black grill for a JL.
Called the dealer, parts said they can order a flat black grill, but not the Willy's painted gloss grill.
Anyone have an idea or part number for the factory grill?

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The paint spray mentioned in this thread is not generally available in Canada :(
I am trying to decide between the alternatives I have found and would love your suggestions on what is the closest in terms of Color, adhesion and long term durability of the finish

My wrangler JL Sahara color is Sting Gray

Jeep Wrangler JL Paint color for Rubicon grill inserts. 1635357696515
Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic in Black Stainless Steel

Jeep Wrangler JL Paint color for Rubicon grill inserts. 1635357764160
Dupli-Color CHWP10207 High Performance Wheel Coating, Graphite

Jeep Wrangler JL Paint color for Rubicon grill inserts. 1635357807519
Performix Plasti Dip True Metallic Anthracite Grey

Jeep Wrangler JL Paint color for Rubicon grill inserts. 1635357864505
Performix Plasti Dip Gunmetal Grey
Sponsored