Ordering vs. Dealer Stock Availability?

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
I am planning on getting a new wrangler unlimited once they become available, but I am unsure of a few things.

This will be my first Jeep, so other than a short test drive this past spring, I do not know what to expect. My dilemma is do I order one as soon as I can, or wait for dealer stock so I can see one in person, drive it and then get an idea of what I want on my new Jeep.

The concern with this is time...if I do not order one out of the gate when the order banks open, am I going to be waiting a long time if I wait to see one at the dealer first and then order? Thanks for helping this newbie out.

Looking forward to this baby! :clap:
Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
I did an order on mine last time (2012...JKUR). If you're wanting options that commonly get ordered, dealer stock will be fine for you. Personally, I wanted a Rubi with 6 spd and soft top. That's it. Rubis that dealers order almost always come loaded out and priced to match. I hit up the second round of order windows I believe. Ended up getting it a little later (mine was finishing up around the time they had the paint fire at the plant...kind of delayed it). So took possession the first week of Feb after ordering November-ish. That was an unusual wait time...but it can happen is the point. Normally it should be 6 weeks or less. (Vehicle actually got to the dealer mid Jan, Jeep told them to pull it, there was a paint issue on it, and made a new one...which took 2 weeks)

If you have to have RIGHT NOW...well...take what ya can get :D

I'll probably go the same route this time around. And looking at KBB, hopefully I can get about what they say it's worth on trade-in...(~$28k)

Will see what the markup is for diesels this go around...would be nice to get the low end oomph as well as something better than 17mpg on the hwy :D

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Basically what Rob said. What do you plan on buying (trim/options)? Are you in a huge rush? In my experience it can be hard to find a lightly optioned one, the higher you go up on the JK food chain the more they add it seems. Also gotta remember the JL is supposed to be a slow production rollout so orders may take even longer after initial dealer stock.

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basically what Rob said. What do you plan on buying (trim/options)? Are you in a huge rush? In my experience it can be hard to find a lightly optioned one, the higher you go up on the JK food chain the more they add it seems. Also gotta remember the JL is supposed to be a slow production rollout so orders may take even longer after initial dealer stock.
I am most likely going to go with a JL Rubicon with quite a few options...not in a huge rush, but for sure want to have something by April 2018.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends more if you want to test drive it or not. If you're ok not test driving one (say you're happy with the current JK, as the new JL will only be better) then I would say to order one. If you feel like you might not be happy then I would wait and see whats on the dealer's lot.

Sponsored

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it depends more if you want to test drive it or not. If you're ok not test driving one (say you're happy with the current JK, as the new JL will only be better) then I would say to order one. If you feel like you might not be happy then I would wait and see whats on the dealer's lot.
Thats my struggle right there....never having owned a Jeep before, I am am leering about ordering one without test driving and seeing in person. I know I want a Jeep, but can't get past my conerns of not seeing this new version in person before I buy one.

NewApexJT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger, 2018 Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thats my struggle right there....never having owned a Jeep before, I am am leering about ordering one without test driving and seeing in person. I know I want a Jeep, but can't get past my conerns of not seeing this new version in person before I buy one.
I'm in the same boat, I've ridden in JKs before and didn't mind the ride at all. I do own a 08 ranger and tbh the JKs ride and engine is very much a step or so above, so it's only up for comfort for me.
Personally I'm planning on ordering after 2 years of production, that way most of the bugs are worked out and some of the demand has been meet(less dealer upmark). The dealers around where I am refuse to negotiate anything below sticker price so I'll I have is tread lightly discounts and maybe a Teir one auto supplier discount. So if I'm not going to get the negotiation of something on the lot I might as well order exactly what I want from the factory.
Just my thoughts on ordering the new JT/JL from the factory.

NewApexJT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger, 2018 Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sorry I mistakenly uploaded my post twice

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
April 2018 should be fine by then production should be at a pretty good pace, delivery at the beginning of the year would be tougher if you waited.

Typically it's 6-10 weeks for delivery, so add and extra 2-4 for whatever, and you're still good long after initial first ones arrive. The only problem is they may not have one to test drive if all are spoken for (you can see what's "in transit" to your local dealer, and sometimes they get snipped/bought even before they're unloaded from the truck).

Esentially if you want it by start of April then order by early January, if you want it by late April then order it by end of January / early February at the latest, and better to order are soon as you're confident of your options.

Of course there can always be delays especially for either special order items or colours , as well as items that may be less popular.

And as a final statement, if this is your first Wrangler, then do it right, and make it uniquely YOUR Wrangler, with the features YOU want, not something the dealer picked. However, be sure your dealership knows how to submit an order, as many delays are cause due to buyer + dealer confusion, etc. Also dealer with experience with customer orders are usually better prepared for this, while others see it as a hassle.

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"And as a final statement, if this is your first Wrangler, then do it right, and make it uniquely YOUR Wrangler, with the features YOU want, not something the dealer picked. However, be sure your dealership knows how to submit an order, as many delays are cause due to buyer + dealer confusion, etc. Also dealer with experience with customer orders are usually better prepared for this, while others see it as a hassle."

Thats my plan...I want to make this my baby. I know my way around fixing up cars, so adding some stuff myself should be fun as well!! Cannot wait!

Sponsored

geospyder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Mo" 2019 Mojito 2 Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The fun part about ordering is that you can follow it being built. When I ordered my 07 Rubi and it was finally assigned a vin number I referred to the vin as the birth certificate :)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The fun part about ordering is that you can follow it being built. When I ordered my 07 Rubi and it was finally assigned a vin number I referred to the vin as the birth certificate :)
Yeah, that's always fun, but can also be very frustrating for the slightest delay... 'after things were going SOoo smoothly!'. :angry:

So if you VIN is your Birth Certificate is your VON the Ultrasound Pics / Conception date ? ;)

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
There is no replacement to ordering a vehicle. Not a huge deal to wait IMO.

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no replacement to ordering a vehicle. Not a huge deal to wait IMO.
Well, thats my plan at this point...Hope to order one shortly after dealers receive them, so I can see one in person first.

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Yea the anticipation and build up when ordering and tracking is really quite fun. You end up developing an online camaraderie with fellow future owners who are also tracking and waiting for their Wranglers at the same time. Can't wait to order again.
Sponsored