Dealer Demo vs Ordering JLUR

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Has anyone had any experience with the dealer demo? I found the JLUR with all the options I wanted, but just found out the the car was a dealer demo and has 1800 miles on it. Over a week of price negotiation, the dealer had never mentioned this and it was not mentioned on their website.

The other option is wait till the production is open and order the car. Some people been saying if you order, you can get 7% off the invoice, is that accurate?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Has anyone had any experience with the dealer demo? I found the JLUR with all the options I wanted, but just found out the the car was a dealer demo and has 1800 miles on it. Over a week of price negotiation, the dealer had never mentioned this and it was not mentioned on their website.

The other option is wait till the production is open and order the car. Some people been saying if you order, you can get 7% off the invoice, is that accurate?
I always assume that demos are driven hard without warm-up. So figure about 180 cold starts with the roadtester checking the acceleration soon after. All under the encouragement of the salesperson in the passenger seat. Been there; done that. It's worse than buying a used Jeep with 1,800 miles. Not to mention the credibility that the salesperson lost due to nondisclosure.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I hear California dealers don't do much of a discount. 7% below invoice seems pretty low for there. FCA is probably supporting dealers with their inventory to reduce the number closing their doors. An out of business dealer doesn't sell any Jeeps for them. And with many people thinking they should sell them below cost they will ride out the storm selling some at a profit instead many at a loss.

And I wouldn't buy a demo at any price.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I'd wait and do an order. If you don't mind a drive, Las Vegas has some dealers that were at least going around 6-7% below invoice so that might be an option for you.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Over a week of price negotiation, the dealer had never mentioned this and it was not mentioned on their website.
Not to mention the credibility that the salesperson lost due to nondisclosure.
Most people don't know this, but dealerships are under no obligation to disclose that a vehicle was used as a demo. As long as the vehicle was never registered/titled it can be sold as new regardless of mileage and how it was used.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Most people don't know this, but dealerships are under no obligation to disclose that a vehicle was used as a demo. As long as the vehicle was never registered/titled it can be sold as new regardless of mileage and how it was used.
Agreed, but regardless of obligation, wouldn't a savvy buyer wonder how the (undisclosed) demo racked up miles? What other explanation could there be for a "new" unit with a bunch of miles?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Agreed, but regardless of obligation, wouldn't a savvy buyer wonder how the (undisclosed) demo racked up miles? What other explanation could there be for a "new" unit with a bunch of miles?
I'm not saying I'm in favor of the practice. The onus is always on the buyer.

OP
OP

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not saying I'm in favor of the practice. The onus is always on the buyer.
Maybe a little more information would help. This was out of state sale and there was no way to physically be there and check the mileage. The only information was the mileage listed on the sales quote which definitely was incorrect and after two weeks of discussion with the dealer this was never mentioned and no one knew about it, till actually a live video was requested and this was noted. So, in such situation it is dealer responsibility to be honest and provide an accurate sales quote.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So, in such situation it is dealer responsibility to be honest and provide an accurate sales quote.
Perhaps. But as the buyer, it is your responsibility to ask for mileage before signing any sales quote/order, regardless of whether you are out of state or not.

What's done is done and I'm not going to continually argue my point. Good luck.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maybe a little more information would help. This was out of state sale and there was no way to physically be there and check the mileage. The only information was the mileage listed on the sales quote which definitely was incorrect and after two weeks of discussion with the dealer this was never mentioned and no one knew about it, till actually a live video was requested and this was noted. So, in such situation it is dealer responsibility to be honest and provide an accurate sales quote.
Years ago I drove from Scottsdale to Prescott (103 miles) to purchase a new vehicle that was hard to find. When I got there, it had 7,500 miles. It was explained to me that the owner's wife had been driving it so it was still technically new. I was slightly perturbed.

OP
OP

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Years ago I drove from Scottsdale to Prescott (103 miles) to purchase a new vehicle that was hard to find. When I got there, it had 7,500 miles. It was explained to me that the owner's wife had been driving it so it was still technically new. I was slightly perturbed.
I feel you, and what did you end up doing? It's just these are the things that we all expect to know in advance to help us make our decision. Having a lot of miles on a car that is often used for off road can be a problem.
Sponsored