Sponsored

Opus OP2/OP4 or Intech Explore Flyer?

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
Suggestions for a complete newbie who has no experience with towing. I've been doing tons of research for years. At this point, I've narrow down to the OPUS OP2/4 and the Intech Explore Flyer.

Family size 2+2. A boy (13) & a girl (10)

My wife like the room available on the Intech if we can opt. for the curb-side tip out bed along with the driver side tip out which comes standard. Then during the night, the center area can be used with a toilet without stepping out. My concern is taking it to locations outside of state park campgrounds.

For the OP2/4, my understanding is that it is build better with more capable suspensions. The GVWR is actually rated higher than the Jeep Tow rating. For example, the OP4 has a Dry Weight of 2870 lbs which provide a little room for cargo.

What I like about the OPUS 2 or 4:
The lower height may make it easier to tow even with the added weight?! (I am guessing)
The lower height should allow me to fit it inside a standard garage.
Better build quality?

My worry: The air system are more complex, and break easier?

My original plan is to start off with a hiker trailer, but my wife reject the idea of sleeping inside a small confined space that's just enough for sleeping.
Sponsored

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
The opus is definitely cool, but yes, I would have the same worry about the air system. I would imagine that there is some sort of "backup" to enable setup in case of air system failure, or if it failed after setup.

I really like the InTech, and they are less expensive than the Opus. Pretty versatile also.

We've been looking at the Black Series Dominator and Alpha. Those are in same price range as the InTech but are much more complex and time consuming to setup and take down.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We recently acquired the opus off road camper. It’s a 2018 OPS200 which is now called the OP4. Great camper and my JLUR does a good job of towing it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opus OP2/OP4 or Intech Explore Flyer? 7856BCB1-6EC1-45D4-A6FE-2A6A587C0D6C

Last edited:

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango SRT, RAM TRX (order) Rubicon 4xE (order)
We recently acquired the opus off road camper. It’s a 2018 OPS200 which is now called the OP4. Great camper and my JLUR does a good hub of towing it.

7856BCB1-6EC1-45D4-A6FE-2A6A587C0D6C.jpeg
Is your JLUR stock?

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is your JLUR stock?
It was in that picture. I'm running 37's now and regearing this week. I'm putting 5.38's in it. We have a trip planned for this Friday so I'll see how it does with the new gears.

Sponsored

GetitOffroad

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep JLUR
It was in that picture. I'm running 37's now and regearing this week. I'm putting 5.38's in it. We have a trip planned for this Friday so I'll see how it does with the new gears.
5.38s! I have 4.88s and it zips pretty darn well with 37s. Yours will be a rocket!! cool!

GetitOffroad

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep JLUR
Suggestions for a complete newbie who has no experience with towing. I've been doing tons of research for years. At this point, I've narrow down to the OPUS OP2/4 and the Intech Explore Flyer.

Family size 2+2. A boy (13) & a girl (10)

My wife like the room available on the Intech if we can opt. for the curb-side tip out bed along with the driver side tip out which comes standard. Then during the night, the center area can be used with a toilet without stepping out. My concern is taking it to locations outside of state park campgrounds.

For the OP2/4, my understanding is that it is build better with more capable suspensions. The GVWR is actually rated higher than the Jeep Tow rating. For example, the OP4 has a Dry Weight of 2870 lbs which provide a little room for cargo.

What I like about the OPUS 2 or 4:
The lower height may make it easier to tow even with the added weight?! (I am guessing)
The lower height should allow me to fit it inside a standard garage.
Better build quality?

My worry: The air system are more complex, and break easier?

My original plan is to start off with a hiker trailer, but my wife reject the idea of sleeping inside a small confined space that's just enough for sleeping.
I considered the Intech flyer, they are highly regarded. The tip out sleepers really make it nice. I recall the weight being a little much with all the bells and whistles. They priced me out one a 19k. Not bad, but I just couldnt get myself to pull the trigger,

If I were to get one I think Intech would be my choice.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
5.38s! I have 4.88s and it zips pretty darn well with 37s. Yours will be a rocket!! cool!
Because of the towing, it was going to be 5.13 or 5.38. They didn’t get it installed yet and we are taking the opus to AOAA in PA tonight. I guess I’ll find out how 4.10 do towing with 37’s! LOL

GetitOffroad

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep JLUR
Because of the towing, it was going to be 5.13 or 5.38. They didn’t get it installed yet and we are taking the opus to AOAA in PA tonight. I guess I’ll find out how 4.10 do towing with 37’s! LOL
I'm only towing about 1500-1800lb. The 3.6 with 4.88s pull it fine. Around our hilly town at 1.2-2k elevation I dont know it's back there. Going up our mountains from about 3-6k at STEEP grade it works awesome as well but you know your pulling something for sure.

I was talked out of 5.12 and semi regret it because I will be towing. But so far it really isnt bad in the least. Now in Colorado I will more than likely sing a different tune.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm only towing about 1500-1800lb. The 3.6 with 4.88s pull it fine. Around our hilly town at 1.2-2k elevation I dont know it's back there. Going up our mountains from about 3-6k at STEEP grade it works awesome as well but you know your pulling something for sure.

I was talked out of 5.12 and semi regret it because I will be towing. But so far it really isnt bad in the least. Now in Colorado I will more than likely sing a different tune.
I’m towing at the top range of the JLU towing capacity. I forget it’s back there but I remember once I hit the stepper inclines. Lol

Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
I have the smaller intech (flyer pursue) and while it doesn’t have a real suspension system like opus (just a dexter torsion axle) you can get them with decent clearance if you get the lift kit and off-road tire options. Mine has gone down extensive washboard roads and shorter true “off road” areas and hasn’t had any issues or damage (enclosed bottom and overall very solid construction...). I would avoid black series (they look like opus but cheaper and that apparently is for a real reason). No regrets with my intech choice.

D2B0C545-5388-4234-B754-B56424D7CFBD.jpeg

Brad Brech

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
We have been running an OPUS OP4 behind our JKU Rubicon for two years now. Jeep is a 2012 JK with the 3.6 automatic. We have a total of 5" of lift and are running 4.88 with 35" tires. We have had a few different shocks on the Jeep and found the adjustable falcons are the best. We can adjust them depending on what we are doing (towing, wheeling, crawling, etc). We get about 12mpg on the HWY while pulling the camper on flat ground. Getting up and over the mountains here in CA we typically slow down to 50-55 MPH.

We are also a family of four, with a boy (13) & a girl (11). My wife and I sleep on one side, my son sleeps on the other side and our daughter sleeps on the dinette.

I cannot speak about the Intech, but the OP4 is built remarcably well. We have taken it everywhere the jeep goes and have had it stuck a few time, where we needed to drop it on the ground and winch it out. We put everything on the roof rack, as it can handle up to 500lbs. The air system has been quite reliable. Push a button, walk away and a few minutes later the tent is up. It was our deciding factor over other comporable units because we didn't want to deal with the aluminum poles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opus OP2/OP4 or Intech Explore Flyer? PXL_20230217_033200522
Jeep Wrangler JL Opus OP2/OP4 or Intech Explore Flyer? IMG_5514
Jeep Wrangler JL Opus OP2/OP4 or Intech Explore Flyer? original_3cc73875-95e3-45ac-8693-ea3f227728ac_DJI_0607_exported_0_1616988173547
Jeep Wrangler JL Opus OP2/OP4 or Intech Explore Flyer? DJI_0145
Jeep Wrangler JL Opus OP2/OP4 or Intech Explore Flyer? IMG_7435
Sponsored