Sponsored

2019 JLUR + Opus Offroad 4 sleeper

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Folks

After a lot of research, we puller the trigger on a 2020 Opus Offroad 4 sleeper trailer this week. Thanks to information and videos by @OldGreen . They really helped me make up my mind.

Some relevant data for the Opus:
Hitch Weight 220 lbs
Dry Weight 2870 lbs
Gross Weight 3970 lbs

I am aware that the Rubi has a tow capacity of 3500 LB's and 300 LB hitch weight and this is getting pretty close to the limits. I did tow it from the dealer to my house (11 hrs/ 700 miles) with absolutely no issues. I am using the Curt wireless brake controller and it seems to work really well.

I have the below plans for the JL:

- Gears from 4.10 to 4.88
- 2.5" lift (already have 35's - KO2's). Don't really see a need for 37's at the moment. Open to suggestions on a lift. Metalcloak vs. Rock Krawler Vs. OME Vs. AEV. The intended use is primarily overloading with heavy weight including cargo and passengers.
- Spare tire relocation bracket. the Local and roll hitch is currently turned down and causes some sag. would like some more options to level the trailer
- ARB front bumper + smittybilt synthetic winch
- Upgrade hitch to Class 3/4?? Unsure about this one.

The intention is to use the JL + Opus combo to travel North America with the family. Wife + 3 kids in carseats and a small dog.

Questions, feedback, suggestions welcome.

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_7418.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Wow, that is badass!

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps. All Jeeps. LJ, XJ, CJ, WK2
I'm going to put airbags in the Jeep to see if it helps the sag. . .it doesn't impact drive-ability but level would be better. Let me know when you put the 4.88s in. I've been going back and forth about re-gearing. The 8 speed is just so good that I don't even really notice 8th gear being gone.

SpeedKills

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
Folks

After a lot of research, we puller the trigger on a 2020 Opus Offroad 4 sleeper trailer this week. Thanks to information and videos by @OldGreen . They really helped me make up my mind.

Some relevant data for the Opus:
Hitch Weight 220 lbs
Dry Weight 2870 lbs
Gross Weight 3970 lbs
Is there room in the trailer floor for the spare? That would shift some weight off the back of the Jeep and might help with sag.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NewTXJL

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is there room in the trailer floor for the spare? That would shift some weight off the back of the Jeep and might help with sag.
No real room for the spare there, but there is a pretty big roof rack that is rated for ~600lb. I am getting a MC lift this weekend with 2.5ā€ in the front and 3.5ā€ in the back, hoping that will help.

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango SRT, RAM TRX (order) Rubicon 4xE (order)
Are you bottoming out with stock clearance & 35s? How much squat are you getting? We have our eyes on the Opus 4. We are thinking the Rubicon for weekend trips, shorter trips, but our RAM for extended week plus trips. Our Rubicon is on order so would be great to learn from you on what is required for the Rubicon to tow the Opus 4. Iā€™ve also been thinking about a lift and 35s just for trail riding but hadnā€™t considered the pros and cons for towing.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Are you bottoming out with stock clearance & 35s? How much squat are you getting? We have our eyes on the Opus 4. We are thinking the Rubicon for weekend trips, shorter trips, but our RAM for extended week plus trips. Our Rubicon is on order so would be great to learn from you on what is required for the Rubicon to tow the Opus 4. Iā€™ve also been thinking about a lift and 35s just for trail riding but hadnā€™t considered the pros and cons for towing.
Iā€™m towing an OP4 with a 2018 JLUR. Itā€™s the 3.6 with a manual transmission. Itā€™s currently stock and and Iā€™m on 37ā€™s. I split the fenders and added helper bags on the rear springs. Iā€™m planning on regearing to 5.38ā€™s, though the stock 4.10 gears are working okay. With the helper bags, Iā€™m not getting much rear end squatting when towing. Before the bags, the rear dropped a couple of inches. I donā€™t plan on adding a lift anytime soon.
Sponsored