NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent, I used the numbers you referenced, and ordered the fog, backup, and brake lights.

I suspect that there are some choices that produce better light, but I was curious whether even the cheapest LED bulbs were better than the factory incandescent bulbs. I haven't seen any JLs with the factory LEDs, so I really can't judge how close these cheap bulbs come to the factory bulbs. I figured that if they didn't work well enough that I could find something else to use them on around the house. Unfortunately, you can't really trust the ads on how many lumens are being output by the various bulbs that are offered for sale. Paying more does not necessarily mean that you *get* more... :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I suspect that there are some choices that produce better light, but I was curious whether even the cheapest LED bulbs were better than the factory incandescent bulbs. I haven't seen any JLs with the factory LEDs, so I really can't judge how close these cheap bulbs come to the factory bulbs. I figured that if they didn't work well enough that I could find something else to use them on around the house. Unfortunately, you can't really trust the ads on how many lumens are being output by the various bulbs that are offered for sale. Paying more does not necessarily mean that you *get* more... :(
i didnt order the cheapest, but close to it. I just ordered those shipped from the USA.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i didnt order the cheapest, but close to it. I just ordered those shipped from the USA.
Of course, that doesn't meant that they are *made* in the US... I suspect that most of them are made in China and the ones that are shipped from the US are just by sellers who order large quantities of them from China and resell them. You are just paying for the convenience of a possibly shorter ship time. I ordered the fog lights on 10/31 and they were in my mailbox waiting for me when I returned from Nevada on 11/13. That's probably an exception though -- I usually figure that it might take up to a month for the items to arrive from overseas and plan accordingly. With USPS, it's pretty hit or miss with respect to whether the postal delivery person puts the item in the right mailbox in my neighborhood. With UPS, they are more accurate, but I don't want an item to be sitting on my front porch for someone to steal if I'm going to be out of town for a month or so.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Of course, that doesn't meant that they are *made* in the US... I suspect that most of them are made in China and the ones that are shipped from the US are just by sellers who order large quantities of them from China and resell them. You are just paying for the convenience of a possibly shorter ship time. I ordered the fog lights on 10/31 and they were in my mailbox waiting for me when I returned from Nevada on 11/13. That's probably an exception though -- I usually figure that it might take up to a month for the items to arrive from overseas and plan accordingly. With USPS, it's pretty hit or miss with respect to whether the postal delivery person puts the item in the right mailbox in my neighborhood. With UPS, they are more accurate, but I don't want an item to be sitting on my front porch for someone to steal if I'm going to be out of town for a month or so.

I realize all that. It was strictly a convenience thing. I've had too many packages take 1-2 months, coming from China/Hong Kong.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I realize all that. It was strictly a convenience thing. I've had too many packages take 1-2 months, coming from China/Hong Kong.
I know what you mean... When an item takes over a month to get to me, I might forget what I ordered it for... :) This happens to me usually when I'm ordering small electronic parts for Arduino projects... I have to try to find some number on the part and then look it up on the internet to see what it was that I just received. Hopefully, that will refresh my memory on what I ordered it for... :)