Sponsored

Old man bad back suspension

RancherRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Heyall,

First time Jeep owner! I Just picked up a new JLUR. Now I wonder why I didn't get one of these years ago! My old F350 long bed crew cab is just too big and rough riding for me anymore. I'm hoping to get back out in the woods and around the ranch with my kids but screwed up my back a couple years ago and can't take much pounding. Is there a suspension system out there that would make off-roading a little more tolerable? Hopefully something with a lot of travel and adjustable dampening? Also, yes, I plan to get lower load rated tires (35"x12.5 Wrangler MT/R's) and drop the air pressure on them. Too bad there isn't room for air-ride seats. :) Thanks for any advice or wisdom you can spare.

Cheers,
Rob
Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Front sway bar disconnects might be a good place to start. That and lowered air pressure like you said will probably do as much or more than a suspension swap.

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland

Sponsored

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't that why the hard top is split between the driver and passenger? lol

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Heyall,

First time Jeep owner! I Just picked up a new JLUR. Now I wonder why I didn't get one of these years ago! My old F350 long bed crew cab is just too big and rough riding for me anymore. I'm hoping to get back out in the woods and around the ranch with my kids but screwed up my back a couple years ago and can't take much pounding. Is there a suspension system out there that would make off-roading a little more tolerable? Hopefully something with a lot of travel and adjustable dampening? Also, yes, I plan to get lower load rated tires (35"x12.5 Wrangler MT/R's) and drop the air pressure on them. Too bad there isn't room for air-ride seats. :) Thanks for any advice or wisdom you can spare.

Cheers,
Rob
Good luck. Top shelf quality with adjustable shocks. If the back is bad, a Wrangler probably isn’t the best choice. Suspension is very subjective.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jlu...con-3-3-shocks?vehicle=JLU Wrangler Unlimited

If you like the way the stock rides and just want room to put the bigger tires on.
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/2-spacer-suspension-lift-jl-wrangler/

You still get adjustable shocks to go with it.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
For comfort, and capable, the best I've heard of is the Dynatrac Endurosport (Quadratec link). It's a 2" kit and a bit expensive compared to other kits that offer similar components. I hadn't found a single bad review of it when I was looking for a lift. I still haven't heard anything bad about it but I haven't been looking at lifts in a while. I went a different route (ie cheaper) because I'm not doing any serious off roading, so I got a Daystar kit that retained the stock ride. If I was looking for a more extreme kit I probably would have gotten the Dynatrac kit because many of the reviews say it's very comfortable yet still capable.

OP
OP

RancherRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the suggestions. If that seat made me look like Mathew McConaughey, my wife would definitely be happy to splurge on it whether it helped my back or not! (she went to UT Austin with him). I have a similar air-ride seat in my JohnDeere which is awesome!
I don't know much about suspension systems but I'm OK with the more expensive ones if it helps save the jarring bounces. Even the EVO Pro is cheaper than all the Chiropractor/Physical Therapy dr. visits over time. What do the higher end/more expensive suspension systems get you over the cheaper ones besides better shocks and springs? Does a taller lift allow for better absorption?
Besides tires (inc sidewall height, load rating, air pressure), shocks, springs, and seat, are there any other components to help absorb the bumps?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Most of the more expensive lifts simply offer increased suspension travel. This only really plays a roll if you're off-roading. The stock suspension has plenty of travel for light/moderate trails, so more than enough for the roadway. Aftermarket isn't going to give you much, if any, improvement in absorption of bumps. They tend to give you improved ability to traverse obstacles rather than improved comfort,
Taller lifts aren't going to really offer any more absorption than the smaller lifts. Actually, they tend to be a bit stiffer because they are generally geared toward more extreme use, and are frequently designed with the idea that the Jeep will be modified and/or equipped with heavier gear (winch, tires. cargo, etc).
If comfort is the primary goal, I'd look at retaining the stock suspension, or a moderate lift targeting comfort rather than capability (which are very limited).

Aside from the items you listed, that's about all you're going to find for increasing comfort.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RancherRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm going to go with a small lift just so I can get 37" tires that will give me a little more sidewall flex and clearance under the pumpkin. (already dragged my 2nd time off road). I think I'm gonna go with the MetalCloak RockSport.
As to lift kits, do long arms make a difference in ride quality vs short-medium arm kits? They claim that because it is a much more obtuse angle, that the ride is softer and impacts are not as directly transferred to the frame as with short arms. Is there much truth to that?
What difference will a coilover shocks make? MetalCloak tells me they are noisy and not as nice on-road.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Coilovers ***CAN*** have a better ride quality than a spring but takes fine tuning and knowledge to get them there, I've never heard anyone claim that coilovers are noisy but perhaps they are confusing them with external bypass shocks which, depending on brands, can make some loud clicking as the piston changes the direction of movement in the shock. Correctly designed long arms will have a better on road ride quality due to the angle of the control arms, not all long arm systems are equal and some are downright scary.

If you aren't experienced with coilovers, do some homework on coilover tuning before committing to them. I would absolutely recommend a simple bolt on, mid-arm system that has good comfortable spring rates and a good, high quality shock. If you're interested, we would be happy to put together a different valving spec to soften up our ride even more if you would want.

OP
OP

RancherRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Correctly designed long arms will have a better on road ride quality due to the angle of the control arms, not all long arm systems are equal and some are downright scary.

I would absolutely recommend a simple bolt on, mid-arm system that has good comfortable spring rates and a good, high quality shock. If you're interested, we would be happy to put together a different valving spec to soften up our ride even more if you would want.
"Scary" in what way? How does mid-arm compare to short and long? Are mid-arms better (more travel, better ride) than short arm but cost less than long arm or is it the compromise thing that does neither well? This jeep is just a "FunMobile" for running around town topless during the summer and exploring/stump hopping up in the PNW Mountains (more like Muddtains this time of year).
I'd be interested in softer valving spec. Especially, a quick/easy change adjustable one for soft off-road but firmer on-road. How much $ extra is special valving?

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
"Scary" in what way? How does mid-arm compare to short and long? Are mid-arms better (more travel, better ride) than short arm but cost less than long arm or is it the compromise thing that does neither well? This jeep is just a "FunMobile" for running around town topless during the summer and exploring/stump hopping up in the PNW Mountains (more like Muddtains this time of year).
I'd be interested in softer valving spec. Especially, a quick/easy change adjustable one for soft off-road but firmer on-road. How much $ extra is special valving?
Scary, as in, there is some poorly designed, failure prone stuff out there.

We refer to JK and JL's as having "mid arms" from the factory as they are much much longer than what TJ/LJ "short arms" were. Other companies might call stock arms for JK/JL "short arms", basically it all just refers to stock mount point arms.

Unique valving does not have any additional cost but is only available in our kits that include our "stage 1" shocks.
Sponsored