Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This is from the service manual...

Hi,
Are you subscribing to the manual or did you actually find a place to purchase one?

I have been eager to purchase a 2020 Wrangler JL service manual USB stick for quite some time, but they seem to be permanently out of stock.
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 3.6 eTorque is also around 28-32, usually 30, and jumps up to the 70s when stage two kicks in. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it reach the 80s though.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Very good, simple explanation here. I was digging through my archives but looks like I deleted the picture I had of a 3.6 oil pump we had replaced. It's a pretty good design.
I read thru the diagnostics, but couldn't find anything on the oil pressure control. Since the oil pump mode seems to be a single wire (12v? power, with the block as the ground) to the solenoid connector on the side of the block, tapping into this connector and monitoring the voltage and PCM as the engine is put thru the rpm range, would tell you if there's an issue with the PCM/harness. If the signal gets to the connector as it should, that would indicate if the problem warrants oil pump replacement. The pump can be replaced by removing the oil pan.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hi,
Are you subscribing to the manual or did you actually find a place to purchase one?

I have been eager to purchase a 2020 Wrangler JL service manual USB stick for quite some time, but they seem to be permanently out of stock.
YC,
I bought my manual almost as soon as I bought my 2018 JL. It's the USB credit card style device. It is necessary to have the device in the computer to unlock the data. I've seen some of these and the DVD/CD disk version for sale occasionally on ebay. But they go fast.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
YC,
I bought my manual almost as soon as I bought my 2018 JL. It's the USB credit card style device. It is necessary to have the device in the computer to unlock the data. I've seen some of these and the DVD/CD disk version for sale occasionally on ebay. But they go fast.
@roaniecowpony - can the data/files be saved to another media (like Onedrive, GDrive, etc)?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I read thru the diagnostics, but couldn't find anything on the oil pressure control. Since the oil pump mode seems to be a single wire (12v? power, with the block as the ground) to the solenoid connector on the side of the block, tapping into this connector and monitoring the voltage and PCM as the engine is put thru the rpm range, would tell you if there's an issue with the PCM/harness. If the signal gets to the connector as it should, that would indicate if the problem warrants oil pump replacement. The pump can be replaced by removing the oil pan.
Well, given that his issue is being stuck off, confirming the circuit is dead would be step one. If it isn't, bad oil pump. If it is, possibly wiring, PCM, or other issue. Gotta verify that PCM is getting good signals in, a transmission fault could be sending false data to PCM causing it to stick in P2 oil pressure. Very unlikely though.

I'd rather have a bad PCM than a bad oil pump.

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
sounds like one of two problems, PCM or oil pump stuck.
Or sounds like a slipping clutch to me.
MT and if RPMs rise then you should be moving proportionally faster.
If the clutch was slipping and you cram the gas pedal then rpms go above 3000 rpm and you hit the 2nd stage of the oil pump.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Or sounds like a slipping clutch to me.
MT and if RPMs rise then you should be moving proportionally faster.
If the clutch was slipping and you cram the gas pedal then rpms go above 3000 rpm and you hit the 2nd stage of the oil pump.
Oh god. Missed that part of the post.

please stop driving that Jeep.

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For me, I see that the oil pressure is 21PSI
Is that okay?
I see that for everyone, it stands at 30PSI.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
For me, I see that the oil pressure is 21PSI
Is that okay?
I see that for everyone, it stands at 30PSI.
This is the motor that was recently replaced? What is the second stage(over 3000 rpm) psi?

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Like many modern vehicles, the pentastar 3.6 has a 2 stage oil pump. The pump is metered by a duty cycle based solenoid stuck right inside the body of the pump, that activates stage 2 at 3,000 rpm. Normal stage 1 pressure is 30 psi. Normal stage 2 pressure is around 75 psi.
Exactly. It has nothing to do with how hard you push it. The pump is at stage one after engine start, which is about 30psi. Once RPM is 3,000 or above, be it from hard acceleration or a very slow increase to 3k, the second stage pump kicks in which is in the mid 70s PSI. A few seconds after the engine revolutions go back below 3000, the pump goes back to stage one and the pressure drops back to 30psi. Nothing else to it.

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This is the motor that was recently replaced? What is the second stage(over 3000 rpm) psi?
Hi, how are you
Right this engine is new with 7000 km
And it starts Knocking again
In STAGE 2, I get a 63PSI

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Hi, how are you
Right this engine is new with 7000 km
And it starts Knocking again
In STAGE 2, I get a 63PSI
Hi Nissan. Sorry to here that. You need to get it back to dealer right away.
Sponsored