Sponsored

Oil filter R & R

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Preparing to do my first oil change on the JLURD and I am highly motivated to not spill a drop of oil when removing the oil filter.

I'm supposed to loosen the filter assembly past the large o-ring after I've pulled the drain plug and let gravity do its thing for 30 minutes?

It's not that crowded around and above the filter but it's not wide open either.

Anyone have success getting any thing(s) out of the way to make pulling the canister out easier?
Sponsored

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I use a large ziploc and quickly pull it over the filter from underneath. Be prepared for an oil pressure light. The filter is world-class hard to seat the first time.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Preparing to do my first oil change on the JLUDR and I am highly motivated to not spill a drop of oil when removing the oil filter.

I'm supposed to loosen the filter assembly past the large o-ring after I've pulled the drain plug and let gravity do its thing for 30 minutes?

It's not that crowded around and above the filter but it's not wide open either.

Anyone have success getting any thing(s) out of the way to make pulling the canister out easier?

As much as I am a proponent of doing it yourself - don't the vehicles come with the first three mintenances??? (https://www.jeep.com/jeep-wave.html) Why not make them spend the money while you can? Plus, has FCA pulled back on their "doing the maintenance yourself invalidates your warranty" bs since they became Stellantis?

EDIT: Damint - again I didn't pay attention to this being a zombie-thread someone else necro'ed.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
Stellantis can not void your warranty for doing your own maintenance. They can void your warranty and you do an oil change and don’t put the drain plug in correctly and the oil leaks out and you blow your engine. You just have to keep good records.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I stuff paper towels around the filter area before pulling it up. then a small wad to lay it on as i trasnport it over the engine bay, or a small cardboard box. Then remove all paper towel wads and clean area of any lint with a disposable rag.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I stuff paper towels around the filter area before pulling it up. then a small wad to lay it on as i trasnport it over the engine bay, or a small cardboard box. Then remove all paper towel wads and clean area of any lint with a disposable rag.
Mateo, I'm doing my 3rd oil change this weekend. Does your paper towel method work well with the diesel's filter location? In other words, have you tried it on an Ecodiesel specifically, or is it your go-to method with all vehicles?

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I do all my maintenance. I will be doing the oil and filter shortly, I always do the first one around 1000 to 1500 miles, I don't trust whoever put the first stuff in there. I want full synthetic with a good filter. Soon.

So I crawled under the Jeep the other day for a peek, half expecting a nightmare. OMG probably the best designed oil filter and drain plug placement I have ever seen. The oil filter is on the block at the correct angle and the plug is right next to it in the pan. I will be able to pull both the drain plug and filter at the same time and even a smaller pan would catch everything. There is absolutely nothing obstructing either one, nothing below for oil to drip on, nothing, straight shot right into the catch pan.

I have been waiting years for an engine like this to be engineered correctly. LOL. And only 5 quarts of oil and a little filter, kudos to the 4 banger turbo, going to be a dream to change oil and filter. Love it!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I do all my maintenance. I will be doing the oil and filter shortly, I always do the first one around 1000 to 1500 miles, I don't trust whoever put the first stuff in there. I want full synthetic with a good filter. Soon.

So I crawled under the Jeep the other day for a peek, half expecting a nightmare. OMG probably the best designed oil filter and drain plug placement I have ever seen. The oil filter is on the block at the correct angle and the plug is right next to it in the pan. I will be able to pull both the drain plug and filter at the same time and even a smaller pan would catch everything. There is absolutely nothing obstructing either one, nothing below for oil to drip on, nothing, straight shot right into the catch pan.

I have been waiting years for an engine like this to be engineered correctly. LOL. And only 5 quarts of oil and a little filter, kudos to the 4 banger turbo, going to be a dream to change oil and filter. Love it!
Darryl, get a Fumoto valve and your dream will be complete.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Thanks Rick, had one of those years ago on a hot rod, but have forgotten about them. Yes, that would be a nice addition. Only issue might be clearance? or getting snagged on something? Are you running one? And has it been ok?

Thanks for the reminder.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Mateo, I'm doing my 3rd oil change this weekend. Does your paper towel method work well with the diesel's filter location? In other words, have you tried it on an Ecodiesel specifically, or is it your go-to method with all vehicles?
Sorry I can not answer for a Diesel, not sure how the setup is. My reference is to the 3.6

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350

Sure it's all easy to get to, but it makes mess when you pull the oil filter. Drips all over. The paper towel wad method might be the way to go.

Best designed is a serious stretch. On my 5.9 Cummins I can change the oil and filter without spilling a single drop. Super easy. Inexpensive spin on filters.

The VM 3.0L oil filter is a head scratcher. It's almost as if they wanted to have a part scheme where almost everyone would choose to go with the OEM pieces. There is no benefit to the end user.

Parts availability? No
Durability (plastic cap)? No
Ease of maintenance? No (if you ignore the mess and the requirement to drain for a longer time period than most manufacturers, then I'd give them a pass)
Expense? High (compared to what it could be, $15 spin on filter)

Having said that, I must admit that I love this engine in the Wrangler. The oil filter setup is a pretty minor foibles.

@longfiredragon
Report back after the oil change and see if you still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. :like:

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I can’t count how many times I dropped my oil filter changing the oil on my 5.9. I’ve spilled or dropped the filter on every car I’ve own every time. The plastic bag trick is something I’m gonna try this weekend. I need to just get remote filter heads for the Cummins and one for the Jeep when it’s available.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sure it's all easy to get to, but it makes mess when you pull the oil filter. Drips all over. The paper towel wad method might be the way to go.
I totally agree with Roy - it's the pulling out the filter and navigating all of the wires/tubes/pipes between it and freedom. And...the (new) filter is super fussy to seat properly without getting a low oil pressure warning.
Sponsored