First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Today I wanted inspect my engine air filter, since I did a full maintenance on the Jeep.. At 5,000 miles, it did not expect it to be ready for replacement, I just wanted to inspect the filter. Once I got the filter element out, it was still very clean.

However, getting the filter out was a pita. The main issue was a the nipple in a small cooling system hose at the front right corner of the air filter box. To be able to get the lid off of the air filter box, I had to disconnect a small coolant hose from the nipple. When I did that, I did lose some coolant. But at least I could now get the lid off the air box after removing the four (4) screws, the IAT sensor connector and the plastic band clamp that retains the air box to intake duct.

QUESTION: Has anyone found a better way to get to the air filter? It took too much time so I went ahead and installed a new air filter so I would not have to do this again soon. Also, even though it did say Mopar on the OEM filter, it looked like a "Extra Guard" Fram filter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

Today I wanted inspect my engine air filter, since I did a full maintenance on the Jeep.. At 5,000 miles, it did not expect it to be ready for replacement, I just wanted to inspect the filter. Once I got the filter element out, it was still very clean.

However, getting the filter out was a pita. The main issue was a the nipple in a small cooling system hose at the front right corner of the air filter box. To be able to get the lid off of the air filter box, I had to disconnect a small coolant hose from the nipple. When I did that, I did lose some coolant. But at least I could now get the lid off the air box after removing the four (4) screws, the IAT sensor connector and the plastic band clamp that retains the air box to intake duct.

QUESTION: Has anyone found a better way to get to the air filter? It took too much time so I went ahead and installed a new air filter so I would not have to do this again soon. Also, even though it did say Mopar on the OEM filter, it looked like a "Extra Guard" Fram filter.
I popped mine off without undoing any coolant hoses. I remember it wasn't as easy as other vehicles I own but didn't have to remove anything else.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I popped mine off without undoing any coolant hoses. I remember it wasn't as easy as other vehicles I own but didn't have to remove anything else.
Interesting.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No hoses need to be removed. My air filter has been opened and fully removed several times... for intake testing
Thank you. Looks like I made the job more difficult than needed.

Sponsored

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase

Hello. Was tinkering with my Eco-Diesel today @ 7200 miles, before my 1st Oil Change on Tuesday next week
Decided to check out the air filter and searched this forum, found your thread
I followed JL DIESEL youtube video. Couple pointers
1 it's a 10mm screw, wish he would have mentioned the parts
all 4 need to be removed, carefully
Once done, i suggest pushing slightly back towards the air intake, this will allow you to maneuver getting that cover out without removing ANY hoses, parts, other than the top to the air filter compartment. It's tight, but definitely will come out with no problem
patience is required, but if this simpleton can do it, you can.
Btw, it was shockingly dirty @ 7200 miles, decided to order the K & N filter
I also vacuumed inside the air filter compartment as well and it did a great job getting minor sand, dirt, minor leaves, etc out
Looks brand new now

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I replaced my diesel air filter a few weeks ago. I changed my process and it actually turned out to be pretty easy.

Garry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ, 2018 GC Trailhawk, 2022 JLUD Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Just hit 5500 miles at 11 months old so thought I would ck the air filter, it was clean. My only complaint is the screws. I would rather have clips.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Just hit 5500 miles at 11 months old so thought I would ck the air filter, it was clean. My only complaint is the screws. I would rather have clips.
Agree on Clips versus screws. Hold your "clean" older filter up to the Sun and compare it with a brand new one you might be shocked.
Sponsored