Oil Cooler Leak

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
At just over 5,000 miles I think have developed an oil cooler leak. The other day while doing some mild wheeling I began to smell burning oil smoke. I stopped at the first place I could and looked under the Jeep and found a small amount of engine oil dripping down the left side of the transmission on to the exhaust pipe and dripping off the back of the transmission pan. I also checked the oil level in the engine and the level was fine.

When I got home I got out my inspection camera and began to look for the source of the leak. I did not find the leak, however I found puddled oil in the valley below the lower intake manifold where the oil cooler is located. It appears that the oil was puddling there and when I went up a steep hill the oil ran out and down the transmission onto the exhaust.

I will be taking the Jeep to Carson City Jeep, Nevada on July 31, 2018 and have the leak fixed under warranty. I have had great service at Carson City Jeep and hope it can be fixed the same day.

Attached is a photo of the oil puddle taken with an inspection camera inserted under the lower intake manifold, and drips from my transmission pan
Oil in intake.JPG
Oil drip2.jpg
Oil in intake.JPG
Oil drip2.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kajmcbride

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update. Dropped the Jeep off at the dealer. Explained the leak to the service writer and that there was puddled oil under the lower intake manifold that I saw with an inspection camera. The service writer called in the late afternoon and told me that they cleaned up the oil they could see on the transmission and that the tech could not find the oil leak, They needed to keep the Jeep for another day and preform a dye test, I explained again where is saw the oil using an inspection camera.

I hope they can fix the leak quickly.

OP
OP
Kajmcbride

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Called the Service Writer this afternoon to find out the status of my jeep. The Service Writer told me that the engine oil pan needed to be resealed and the Jeep taken for another test drive because the tech said it was leaking. The area around the engine oil pan was clean with no leaks when I checked the day before.

I repeated that there is puddle oil on top of the engine under the lower intake manifold and emailed the Service Writer the inspection camera photo. Lastly it isn't so bad driving a rental mini van NOT.

OP
OP
Kajmcbride

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The service writer shared the picture from under the lower intake manifold with the tech. The service writer said that the tech cleaned that area and there was no leak from the oil cooler area. I think they are confused because how does oil get under the lower intake area on the top of the engine from an oil pan leak?

Now they think the transmission may be leaking also and they are putting dye in it and test driving it again.

Sponsored

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
Hi Kevin,

I just noticed that I have a very similar leak to the one you had. I have what seems to be transission oil at the rear of the transmission pan. Your pictures are identical to mine.

Was your leak sufficiently enough to stop driving your Jeep?

What was the outcome of your leak?

I will try to get my Jeep in the dealer this week.

Thanks,
Daniel

DB5212E1-1C4D-4C72-9B12-208416F33F7E.jpeg

351877B0-1447-49D7-9B51-F9AC33DDE0C5.jpeg

OP
OP
Kajmcbride

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did take the Jeep to the dealer to have the oil leak repaired under warranty. It appeared oil leak was fixed and there was no puddled oil on the top of the engine (as seen in the inspection camera picture 7/30) after the repair. I was told that the upper oil pan gasket was replaced. The upper oil pan gasket is on the lower part of the motor and no where the leak. I was very skeptical that the upper oil pan gasket was the source of the oil leak, however the puddled oil was gone and the leak appeared fixed.

Now 10,000 miles later my Jeep is leaking oil again and there is puddled oil on the upper engine dripping down on to the transmission. Here is a new photo of the oil puddling under the intake manifold on top of the engine. I will be making an appointment with the same dealer to have the leak repaired.

DCIM0007.JPG

BADMAV302

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
What ever happened with this leak? I just discovered the same oil on transmission, and I’m supposed to leave in 2 days for a huge trip!!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Good luck. Those parts are back ordered, they’ll clean it and deny that a problem exists. The oil coolers all are horrible.

BADMAV302

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Good luck. Those parts are back ordered, they’ll clean it and deny that a problem exists. The oil coolers all are horrible.
Fantastic, and I’m always on the move, so leaving it parked waiting for parts would be horrible. So that is what was causing the leaks pictured above? Mine is very minor, but oil collecting in that very spot

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Fantastic, and I’m always on the move, so leaving it parked waiting for parts would be horrible. So that is what was causing the leaks pictured above? Mine is very minor, but oil collecting in that very spot
it’s typically one of three things,
1. The oil filter cap is damaged or missing an o ring or the o ring is installed wrong.
2. The oil pressure sensor on the back of the cooler is leaking through the sensor probe
3. The gaskets that seal the plastic (stupid) cooler housing to the block are leaking.

BADMAV302

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
it’s typically one of three things,
1. The oil filter cap is damaged or missing an o ring or the o ring is installed wrong.
2. The oil pressure sensor on the back of the cooler is leaking through the sensor probe
3. The gaskets that seal the plastic (stupid) cooler housing to the block are leaking.
Okay, thanks.

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
What ever happened with this leak? I just discovered the same oil on transmission, and I’m supposed to leave in 2 days for a huge trip!!

Hi Greg,

In my case it was the transfer case.

Initially they changed my transfer case seals and it leaked the same day.

They changed my transfer case and it’s been fine since then.

Good luck !

BADMAV302

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Hi Greg,

In my case it was the transfer case.

Initially they changed my transfer case seals and it leaked the same day.

They changed my transfer case and it’s been fine since then.

Good luck !
Okay thank you.
Sponsored