Offroad diesel

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Has anyone had any “friends” that may or may not have used offroad diesel in the eco diesel? Is there any potential detrimental long term effect with the dye on any of the exhaust treatment systems? Local seller says there is no difference in the actual base product, both being ULSD but they just add the dye for easy ID by roadside tax enforcement gestapo.
many one ever get checked in their wrangler yet?
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
The manual has a specific maximum mix ratio of farmer diesel and ULSD; I don't remember what the ratio was, but it was low %. The thing is they can be the exact same diesel with a different dye, but there is no guarantee the off road diesel will be the same as the ULSD. I don't know enough to know if it can do damage to your engine, but in some areas they do check frequently and the red dye is hard to get rid of and leaves traces which can be easy picked up with a black light.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
It is simply dye put in the diesel. That is how the IRS and states track for taxes. It is called the “Dyed Fuel” program.

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
So if I’m going to burn a whole tank running it offroad, then technically I can use offroad diesel correct (legally and would explain any residual dye in the system)

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
So if I’m going to burn a whole tank running it offroad, then technically I can use offroad diesel correct (legally and would explain any residual dye in the system)
In theory sure. Practically, if you had your tank dipped, no way you aren't paying that fine. Having said that, who is going to dip the tank on a 3.0L Wrangler?
ieskids.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F06%2F7.gif

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
In theory sure. Practically, if you had your tank dipped, no way you aren't paying that fine. Having said that, who is going to dip the tank on a 3.0L Wrangler?
Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad diesel ieskids.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F06%2F7
I have to say that is the most appropriate and funniest gif I have seen in a long time. One of my favorite movies. You sir win my bow of respect. I also agree that it would be unlikely they would even know the thing has a diesel in it to check.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find this discussion interesting. Dyed for is not for on-road vehicles. Not telling you what to do, but just because you may take your Jeep off-road doesn’t necessarily qualify it to use dyed fuel.

Here is a link about Dyed fuel.

https://www.ricochetfuel.com/blog/2017/04/dyed-diesel-requirements-in-texas/
You can drive a tractor or backhoe on a public roadway, and no one is going to go after you for not paying registration or any other types of road taxation fee's. If you bought a new diesel Wrangler and never wanted to take it on the road, the government couldn't say dick to you for using offroad diesel.

It's a grey area.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
You can drive a tractor or backhoe on a public roadway, and no one is going to go after you for not paying registration or any other types of road taxation fee's. If you bought a new diesel Wrangler and never wanted to take it on the road, the government couldn't say dick to you for using offroad diesel.

It's a grey area.
I don't care what you do! But if you think anyone would buy a diesel jeep and never license it or drive it on a road you would be laughed at. No one talked about "construction" equipment being driven on the road it was about using off-road diesel in a jeep that clearly was registered. You can play the what ifs all you want. I was addressing the original question.

I will say this, I absolutely know this area and I will tell you if you get caught they will fine you. The Federal Law is very clear. Do they run around and try to catch people...you bet they do! But they don't look for the little guy doing it, they look for big violations.

OP
OP

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I don't care what you do! But if you think anyone would buy a diesel jeep and never license it or drive it on a road you would be laughed at. No one talked about "construction" equipment being driven on the road it was about using off-road diesel in a jeep that clearly was registered. You can play the what ifs all you want. I was addressing the original question.

I will say this, I absolutely know this area and I will tell you if you get caught they will fine you. The Federal Law is very clear. Do they run around and try to catch people...you bet they do! But they don't look for the little guy doing it, they look for big violations.
I know some areas they do enforce regularly. I talked to the owner of the local station that has both pumps and he said that they do check trucks on Rt41. There is a SP barracks on that road and gets a moderate amount of truck traffic. Being a rural area I assume it is either the PSP or the other local PD up the road who has nothing better do do. Not sure if only state police can enforce or if local Pds can be certified to do truck enforcement. I probably won’t mess with it unless the current admin keeps screwing over the industry and causes prices to skyrocket further.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read all of this in order :like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad diesel ieskids.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F06%2F7
I find this discussion interesting. Dyed for is not for on-road vehicles. Not telling you what to do, but just because you may take your Jeep off-road doesn’t necessarily qualify it to use dyed fuel.

Here is a link about Dyed fuel.

https://www.ricochetfuel.com/blog/2017/04/dyed-diesel-requirements-in-texas/

It's a grey area.

I talked about construction equipment to show certain things can slide.

You did not address the original question either lol. He wanted to know whether or not it would be safe and if he would get harassed/in trouble.

:movember:

Has anyone had any “friends” that may or may not have used offroad diesel in the eco diesel? Is there any potential detrimental long term effect with the dye on any of the exhaust treatment systems? Local seller says there is no difference in the actual base product, both being ULSD but they just add the dye for easy ID by roadside tax enforcement gestapo.
many one ever get checked in their wrangler yet?
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Read all of this in order :like:

I talked about construction equipment to show certain things can slide.

You did not address the original question either lol. He wanted to know whether or not it would be safe and if he would get harassed/in trouble.

:movember:

Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad diesel ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP
I guess you didn't go to and read the link I posted. It definitely answers the original question. I for one wouldn't use it to save a few dollars and hope I don't get caught.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I’ll only say it this way, I removed my ecodiesel badge for a reason.
next to nobody even realizes a diesel can come on a Jeep so if there’s on vehicle that could easily get away with it, it’s our jeeps

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
What’s the fine now for running off road diesel, 10k? Or is it still 5k?

Dieselfumes57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For what it’s worth I’ve ran red since 2003 In all my trucks. Since I’ve brought home the little ecodiesel ruby it’s never had anything but red. No difference now days, just got dye. The fine in my state is 100 per gallon. At times my fuel bill has been 3k a month, so if I ever get caught I’m still ahead..
Sponsored