OEM LED headlights

dcdanny

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 wrangler sport. 2018 Rubicon
I recently installed the OEM LED headlights on my rubicon. I originally had the halogen lights. I took it to the dealer to program it from halogen to LED. But the halo isn't working. They told me there's a 4th wire that needs to be piggybacked onto another wire to have them turn on. Does anyone have any idea, example or link to help me out with some ideas? Sorry if there is already a thread involving this issue. I've tried looking for it
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you will have to tie the halo into your DRL’s, this is why a lot of us have not bothered with it’s that 4th wire that’s the key.

OP
OP
dcdanny

dcdanny

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe you will have to tie the halo into your DRL’s, this is why a lot of us have not bothered with it’s that 4th wire that’s the key.
I was able to find someone who adds the 4th wire. Purchased them, how to run it is where I kept running into a wall. I wanted to avoid messing with the fender lighting. But if that's the only option. Then I guess I'll run with that. Dealership said they would have to order the whole harness & charge me more than the lights cost me. Hahhaa

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to find someone who adds the 4th wire. Purchased them, how to run it is where I kept running into a wall. I wanted to avoid messing with the fender lighting. But if that's the only option. Then I guess I'll run with that. Dealership said they would have to order the whole harness & charge me more than the lights cost me. Hahhaa
A vendor will soon come out with a direct LED housing replacement with halo, just look at all the choices there are for the JK so I’m gonna wait until they come out, in the meantime I ordered these and from some pics of have seen they project a nice pattern

BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9008 Hi/Lo) CSP Chi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_N2FwCb...

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcdanny

dcdanny

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A vendor will soon come out with a direct LED bulb replacement, just look at all the choices there are for the JK so I’m gonna wait and also ordered these and from some pics of have seen they project a niece pattern

BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9008 Hi/Lo) CSP Chi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_N2FwCb...
Those do look nice... if I figure this thing out. I'll make sure to update my thread.

Sponsored

clowersd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 ordering wrangler rubicon JL Majito
could you tell me where you bought this so i could purchase it for my lights?

OP
OP
dcdanny

dcdanny

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
could you tell me where you bought this so i could purchase it for my lights?
Bought them on ebay. Gonna install them this weekend. If it comes out good. I'll upload a pic & send you the link. Don't want you spending money on something that is gonna have you back in square one.

EgGreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep
One thing to keep in mind is I believe many auto manufacturers use low voltage for halogen drl. If that’s how the JL is (non led sidelight - but with drl aka non-sport) then the drl signal will, most likely, not power up the halo. Of course changing the bcm to led side light program - it would then work (OEM reflash, tazer or super chips)

2nd thing to consider is it appears (according to wiring diagrams) that the 4th is powered by “parking light power” not by drl. I did make a simple little pnp jumper to steal the signal (either drl or park) from the sidelight harness connector.

Almost done with a prototype pnp headlight harness, unfortunately I don’t think it’s worth the amount of time to make it nice the way I want to.

8F2ED8B4-5D88-48B5-BFBC-A5CFFCBF67F8.jpeg

OP
OP
dcdanny

dcdanny

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing to keep in mind is I believe many auto manufacturers use low voltage for halogen drl. If that’s how the JL is (non led sidelight - but with drl aka non-sport) then the drl signal will, most likely, not power up the halo. Of course changing the bcm to led side light program - it would then work (OEM reflash, tazer or super chips)

2nd thing to consider is it appears (according to wiring diagrams) that the 4th is powered by “parking light power” not by drl. I did make a simple little pnp jumper to steal the signal (either drl or park) from the sidelight harness connector.

Almost done with a prototype pnp headlight harness, unfortunately I don’t think it’s worth the amount of time to make it nice the way I want to.

8F2ED8B4-5D88-48B5-BFBC-A5CFFCBF67F8.jpeg
I've already taken it to the dealer & changed the computer from halogen to LED. I'm thinking about running it the same as I did my LEDs on my JK. Straight to the fuse box w/a fuse in the middle of the wiring. Just in case. I like that device. Looks WAY better than what I'm planning

EgGreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep
I've already taken it to the dealer & changed the computer from halogen to LED. I'm thinking about running it the same as I did my LEDs on my JK. Straight to the fuse box w/a fuse in the middle of the wiring. Just in case. I like that device. Looks WAY better than what I'm planning
Can you clarify what exactly the dealer did? Changed the computer as in removed and replaced? Or reprogrammed/reflashed the bcm. Do you have any flickering? And do low beams stay on when you turn on the high beams?

Thanks btw

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcdanny

dcdanny

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you clarify what exactly the dealer did? Changed the computer as in removed and replaced? Or reprogrammed/reflashed the bcm. Do you have any flickering? And do low beams stay on when you turn on the high beams?

Thanks btw
They reprogrammed it. When I installed my LED fogs. They flickered. Came on here & seen that folks were having the same issue & someone mentioned that they took it to the dealer to reprogram the computer. After installing the LED headlights. Only one would turn on & the other would be off or flicker.. after taking it in. They both stay on & the flickering has stopped. Just checked the low beam & yes. They stay on when the hi beams are on

EgGreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep
if you don’t mind me asking how much did the deslership charge for reprogramming? And what dealership?

My local dealership said they can’t do it. It would be nice if they are all in the same page

Thank you for clarifying btw!

OP
OP
dcdanny

dcdanny

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you don’t mind me asking how much did the deslership charge for reprogramming? And what dealership?

My local dealership said they can’t do it. It would be nice if they are all in the same page

Thank you for clarifying btw!
$95. He said anything they change in the computer would always run me 95. I wanna push my luck & see if they can remove or lower my TPMS haha. This was Cerritos Dodge & Jeep. Did they specify why not? I would've gone with the Tazer but before I purchased it, I emailed the manufacturer & asked if he has gotten to the lights or is planning too, he replied & said he was "working on that as we speak".
No problem.

EgGreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep
$95. He said anything they change in the computer would always run me 95. I wanna push my luck & see if they can remove or lower my TPMS haha. This was Cerritos Dodge & Jeep. Did they specify why not? I would've gone with the Tazer but before I purchased it, I emailed the manufacturer & asked if he has gotten to the lights or is planning too, he replied & said he was "working on that as we speak".
No problem.
Thank you. If you want to hold off on the 4th install for a couple of days, this might make it easier. Just tell me wire lengths you want.

F3A48B95-90E0-4639-86F0-CC0A4EEC056F.jpeg

OP
OP
dcdanny

dcdanny

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. If you want to hold off on the 4th install for a couple of days, this might make it easier. Just tell me wire lengths you want.

F3A48B95-90E0-4639-86F0-CC0A4EEC056F.jpeg
No problem.
Holy crap! Is that like an adapter? No need for wire splicing? Just run the 4th wire to a constant power source?
Sponsored