Sponsored

Not seeing USB 3 on 8.4 radio

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I finally got around to dumping a bunch of music onto a USB drive. It works fine in USB port 1 (on the console) and port 2 (in the center console). The two ports in the back, port 3 (driver's side) and port 4 (passenger side, charging port only, no data). I would like to leave it plugged into port 3 in back. But on the radio when you select the source, I don't see USB 3 as an option, only USB 1 and USB 2. I've tried selecting both 1&2 on the screen even thought it's plugged in the back and no joy. Hopefully I'm missing something stupid???
Sponsored

Garry in AZ

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Door Rubicon, 3 pedal club.
Occupation
Engineering
I had the same issue. To the best of my knowledge, from what I could glean from the owners manual, the only two ports that support music playback are the one in the dash and inside the console. The rear ports can't be used for music playback.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Works fine in my rig. But I am using USB2 thumb drive.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I finally got around to dumping a bunch of music onto a USB drive. It works fine in USB port 1 (on the console) and port 2 (in the center console). The two ports in the back, port 3 (driver's side) and port 4 (passenger side, charging port only, no data). I would like to leave it plugged into port 3 in back. But on the radio when you select the source, I don't see USB 3 as an option, only USB 1 and USB 2. I've tried selecting both 1&2 on the screen even thought it's plugged in the back and no joy. Hopefully I'm missing something stupid???
@JAF1

When you look at the display .... when you view media, you see USB 1 and 2 and need to press down arrow to view USB 3. I use 3 (rear of console, driver's side) for a mini thumb drive with music files.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same issue. To the best of my knowledge, from what I could glean from the owners manual, the only two ports that support music playback are the one in the dash and inside the console. The rear ports can't be used for music playback.
@Garry in AZ

Rear of console USB's.. Driver's side USB port is data /music/power and passenger side is power only. (On edit: Dependent on Model yr. of JL)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
JAF1

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@JAF1

When you look at the display .... when you view media, you see USB 1 and 2 and need to press down arrow to view USB 3. I use 3 (rear of console, driver's side) for a mini thumb drive with music files.
I'm not seeing an arrow...

Jeep Wrangler JL Not seeing USB 3 on 8.4 radio 2022-08-26 17.45.45

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not seeing an arrow...

2022-08-26 17.45.45.jpg
@JAF1

On my 2018 JL ...My ports 1, 2, and 3 display in UConnect. My USB 4 does not display in UCONNECT. My USB 4 is power only, no data.

I'm thinking your 2 rear console ports USB 3 and 4 are power only so do not display in UCONNECT.... as my USB 4 power only does not display in UCONNECT.

OP
OP
JAF1

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My instruction manual (2021) shows that the back drivers side should be a data port. At one point I could swear that someone plugged their phone into one of those ports in the back and I saw the phone on the radio. I actually bought USB data blockers for that purpose in case someone was in the back and I didn't want them to bump my phone out.

I wonder if there was an update that took away that port. I only remember one update but that was a year ago.

Very frustrating. I had hoped to put that USB drive back there so it would be out of the way.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My instruction manual (2021) shows that the back drivers side should be a data port. At one point I could swear that someone plugged their phone into one of those ports in the back and I saw the phone on the radio. I actually bought USB data blockers for that purpose in case someone was in the back and I didn't want them to bump my phone out.

I wonder if there was an update that took away that port. I only remember one update but that was a year ago.

Very frustrating. I had hoped to put that USB drive back there so it would be out of the way.
@JAF1

I'm guessing during the Model year 2021 sometime, they opted to have the 2 rear console USB's power only..

The 2021 Manual reflected the way USB's were when the 2021, Model year began / when the manual's were printed.

Your 2021 undoubtedly left the factory with power only USB's in the rear... and you mistakenly thought differently.

Your 2021 is what it is though.... 2 USB, power only in the back.
Sponsored