First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler YJ 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Just tell him next time you didn't pay anything for it. When he ask how you did that, tell him that you took it for a test drive and while you were out you had a duplicate key made. After they closed you went and took it.
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I was drinking heavily with a couple in New Orleans once poolside at a hotel, ten minute friends at best. He caught me looking and declared "you wanna hold them?", she was like "go ahead, its OK". Well, stupid question, three minutes later it was "ok, that's enough". Some people are friendlier than you'd expect.
I've imagined this scenario happening to me many times ........ has yet to come to fruition.

OP
OP
Wbino

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I'm still stuck at "wife's bra size". It is the more interesting question and a great conversation starter. It's also a good indicator of how friendly a person might be.
Like a lawyer I only ask questions that I already know the answer....đź‘€

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I was drinking heavily with a couple in New Orleans once poolside at a hotel, ten minute friends at best. He caught me looking and declared "you wanna hold them?", she was like "go ahead, its OK". Well, stupid question, three minutes later it was "ok, that's enough". Some people are friendlier than you'd expect.
Jeep Wrangler JL Nosey neighbor.. ceddz

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I've imagined this scenario happening to me many times ........ has yet to come to fruition.
It was definitely kinda a double take moment, like did I hear that right. She had recently had some "improvements" they were both very proud of. It was also about 20 years ago, i think people in general were a little friendlier back then, not quite like that, but in general.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I simply say, The sticker was ....
Thats it. Ive never had anyone follow up with "But, how much did you Pay?"
Honest answer...I don't remember...

Its funny seeing the differing opinions for the different age groups. You younger guys/girls don't remember or know what it was like living without CHEAP, readily available credit. Back in the late 70s, early 80s you had to have 20% down to be approved for a home loan....at 17 or 18% interest! People did not really have the ability to live past their means, because it was tough to get credit and it was expensive. Many of the boomers grew up despising credit cards, and you saved cash until you had enough to buy the car (or whatever) outright.

Growing up in that environment, it would be easy to see an older person being a little put off by a younger person in a really nice car or house. Now a days, you cannot tell how much a person makes or has saved (their financial responsibility) based on their possessions. I know of people who live in million dollar houses (that's a lot in the Midwest), and have interest only loans...they just pay the interest....wth?

Anyway, as others have said, talking about money used to be in poor taste. For me, it still is unless you are a close friend or family member. For the younger generations, that seems to be discussed more openly. I guess maybe that's a good thing. The more info you have the better decisions you'll likely make...

my two cents

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
one possible mode of retaliation would be to write a nice message on their lawn with ice melt. Something like "Nosey little @#$%er" or " I ❤ C#$K"

Last edited:

SecretChimp

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'd have no problem giving someone a straight answer about the price. But you could always give them a range like "Rubicons go for between $42K and $60K depending on how they're optioned and this is one fairly well optioned", etc. I do have a problem with people asking "What's your payment" and I like mess'n with them in my response. :)

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I still don't see what the big deal is when I'm sure somewhere in this very forum I told all you guys what I paid in one of those what did you get on a trade in thread or something similar.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I'm still stuck at "wife's bra size". It is the more interesting question and a great conversation starter. It's also a good indicator of how friendly a person might be.
Not my wife but what say you about the woman in the picture below? How’d you approach the conversation with her husband?
Jeep Wrangler JL Nosey neighbor.. 1617940662004

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Some people are friendlier than you'd expect.
:giggle:
In the gym a while back some pee wee of a man was working out with this meh, somewhat decent looking female. I caught her staring in my direction a few times but didn’t think twice about it.

Her guy catches her looking, walks into my personal space, gets confrontational and tells me to stop looking at his girlfriend.

So I put my weights down, walked over to his girlfriend, stopped long enough to get her attention and then intentionally went past her to an even more gorgeous female who was working out behind them and proceeded to obnoxiously and very loudly apologize to this other girl, intentionally telling her that she was the other man’s girlfriend and that he came over, asking me to stop.

While this man just stood there dumbstruck and watching, the woman who I’d just apologized to walked over to him and threatened to sue him for sexual harassment in front of his girl who then became super jealous, accused him of having a second girlfriend and then ran off into the locker room.

The confusion that I set in motion and watching it all unfold was wonderful. :devil:

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Not my wife but what say you about the woman in the picture below? How’d you approach the conversation with her husband?
Jeep Wrangler JL Nosey neighbor.. 1617940662004
I would invite them to heavy poolside drinking. :CWL: