nOOb question about backspacing/offset

J.boyd919

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
So I am a total noob at this offset/backspacing thing. I have been eyeing these up:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/tactik/...l-matte-black-17-x-85-5-back-space-07-17-jeep

At first I was going to get the Dirty Life Roadkill 9301 but I am pretty sure these Tactiks are the exact same wheels, or they look it for like $80 cheaper. But the Tactik's have a 5 inch backspace... I saw some people on the YouTube comments of a Tactik video complaining that they stopped watching when it said 5 inch backspacing. What is the problem with a 5 inch backspace and are there better options?
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Stock JL wheels have a offset of +44 which is about close to 6 backspace. It really depends on what tire width you plan to use, if stock you are just fine, if say 12.5 you will likely be ok as well however if you are lifting and going to run 12.5" tires and plan to disconnect the sway barlinks and want fiul travel and well clearance a negative back space is desirable. If you do not plan any aggressive off roading then the 5" will be fine even with 12.5" tires. If you are putting stock tire on those rims are are just fine. You can also use a wheels spacer simulate a negative backspace.

Ideally 4.5 to 4.7 Backspace will easily accommodate 12.5" tires and lift with full travel.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My wheels have a similar offset, mine are a +10 so about 3mm further in from the Tacktics. I run 295/70/17s w/ no lift. Like Lightsout posted, w/ a lifted Jeep with full coil articulation you may run into rubbing the higher you go, should be ok w/ a basic 2" lift though depending on tire height/width. Here's how my wheels/tires fit in the fenders

100_4024.JPG

100_4025.JPG

100_4026.JPG

OP
OP
J.boyd919

J.boyd919

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Stock JL wheels have a offset of +44 which is about close to 6 backspace. It really depends on what tire width you plan to use, if stock you are just fine, if say 12.5 you will likely be ok as well however if you are lifting and going to run 12.5" tires and plan to disconnect the sway barlinks and want fiul travel and well clearance a negative back space is desirable. If you do not plan any aggressive off roading then the 5" will be fine even with 12.5" tires. If you are putting stock tire on those rims are are just fine. You can also use a wheels spacer simulate a negative backspace.

Ideally 4.5 to 4.7 Backspace will easily accommodate 12.5" tires and lift with full travel.

My plan is to go with a 2.5 or 3 inch lift with 35s and those Tactiks. I live in Florida so I don’t plan on doing any crazy off roading, as my Jeep is also my daily driver too . Maybe some mudding once in a while but nothing too crazy.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
You will be just fine at 5" you can always add spacers if needed later