Sponsored

No more affiliate pricing?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Discounts, rebates, special financing etc, were all used to move inventory that was stacking up at dealers. That allowed for the plant to produce more vehicles. They worked in the days when supply was greater than demand. Currently, the opposite is true. Demand is greater than supply, so factory incentives go away.

It’s now up to individual dealers to decide how much profit they are willing to give up on a sale. With no volume, the dealer has to stick with a higher selling price as they have expenses to pay, just like all of us.

If this goes on for much longer, there will be many dealers going out of business. You can’t keep doors open and staff paid with no money coming in. Less dealers reduces demand, as those who need a vehicle will shop elsewhere. These are bad times. Most haven’t become fully aware yet as the economy somehow has managed to not crash yet. But we are on the razor’s edge right now. Not just for the automotive industry but for many sectors of the economy.
Some car manufacturers like FCA assisted dealers with lease and financing early during the pandemic.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Some car manufacturers like FCA assisted dealers with lease and financing early during the pandemic.

I got FCA offered employee pricing in May 2020. But inventories were high then as many people where still staying at home, even though car dealers were allowed to remain open as essential businesses. Today, the component supply issue has severely slowed production, so inventories are low.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I just bought a Grand Cherokee L last week with the Tread Lightly discount. A few dealerships would not honor it, but the one I usually buy from was happy to take my money again. I can't see them permanently dropping the affiliate program as all of the other major brands still have them. Fortunately, we bought 2 New Jeeps in the last 10 months so I should be good for a while.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Dan confirmed that I will still get TL discount applied even if Jeep cancels it!

Good thing I ordered when I did.
I emailed my dealer as well. Hoping for the same answer.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Meanwhile government will subsidize certain vehicle purchases etc.. strange times for sure. Social engineering at its finest. Maybe next year our Jeep’s value will rise another 10% lol

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
They asked you for your control # when you ordered? I ordered with Affiliate Pricing but they havent asked for the control #
Yes

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I got FCA offered employee pricing in May 2020. But inventories were high then as many people where still staying at home, even though car dealers were allowed to remain open as essential businesses. Today, the component supply issue has severely slowed production, so inventories are low.
Dealers got financial help from car manufacturers when the economy stopped from the pandemic. They got help from manufacturers with rent, loans and other aid. Not sure about now with shortages?

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Not sure, but what happens when the money runs out? I wonder when the other shoe will drop. If there aren’t many cars to buy, no one is making money.

This can’t keep up for much longer without dealers folding. Next thing you know there will be a flood of Chinese Jeeps on the US market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_BJ40

tp2010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe ordered 9/17, awaiting delivery
So if everything is ending...I ordered a JL a few weeks ago, but it hasn't been 30 days. They say wait 30d before requesting your control #. Wondering if I should try to do it early in hopes of still having it whenever my jeep is built... Thoughts/ comments? I've read of some people getting their # right away & not waiting like TL says to.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
So if everything is ending...I ordered a JL a few weeks ago, but it hasn't been 30 days. They say wait 30d before requesting your control #. Wondering if I should try to do it early in hopes of still having it whenever my jeep is built... Thoughts/ comments? I've read of some people getting their # right away & not waiting like TL says to.
I sent mine to Gupton yesterday, no issues. Order was 9/20, put Tread Lightly membership (had one but it expiered) in that day.

89TransAmWS6

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0T, 2020 GC 3.6, 1993 Pontiac Trans Am
Occupation
Fleet Manager

The website will actually spit out a control number right away, its just you are supposed to wait 30 days for whatever reason. Did you factor in the affiliate pricing when you ordered? If so I would print it now just incase the website goes dark and at least you have it to give to the dealer.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Not sure, but what happens when the money runs out? I wonder when the other shoe will drop. If there aren’t many cars to buy, no one is making money.

This can’t keep up for much longer without dealers folding. Next thing you know there will be a flood of Chinese Jeeps on the US market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_BJ40
While there may be some smaller dealers that will fold, the vast majority will remain open because it’s the service/parts departments that keeps dealerships open. Very little money is made in variable ops - fixed ops is what keeps the lights on. And with an inventory shortage, more people will be holding on to their current vehicles, which means more repairs, busier service departments and more parts being sold.
Sponsored