h20boy1965

h20boy1965

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Took her in this morning and after insisting on having a new damper installed, I'm pretty sure they just flipped the old one over. My service guy brought me out into the shop to have a look. I mentioned that it definitely didn't look new, but he reassured me several times that it was. I was already running late so wasn't going to argue anymore.

That said, the shimmy is definitely gone and it actually seems to track better with less wandering. It was a short drive to work from the garage, so we'll see how it does on the way home tonight.
Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
My 2019 has v41 recall & goes in week after next. I’m worried because they ballsed up the last recall on my JKUR 3 years ago and here in the uk, my dealer is a Fiat shop.
I don’t experience the wobble, but I’ll be taking photos. I’m going to remove the skid pan myself as it’s an easy job, and that way, it will be easier to check before and after.
Wish me luck!

OP
OP
h20boy1965

h20boy1965

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In hindsight, I would have asked the service guy to let me inspect it before taking it off the hoist. May be something you want to consider doing.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
In hindsight, I would have asked the service guy to let me inspect it before taking it off the hoist. May be something you want to consider doing.
good idea!

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
good idea!
Mark it with a silver sharpie pen, in several places. This way you will know for sure it was replaced. But, definitely make sure it was installed correctly!:like:

Sponsored

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
I’ve had the wandering steering since I got it and now the wobbles are becoming more and more pronounced.
I hate dealing with the dealership closest to me, so I’ll deal with it until my 2020 gets here, which HOPEFULLY has the latest and greatest “fix” already installed from the factory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
h20boy1965

h20boy1965

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to say that after a week of mostly highway driving, the wandering is almost completely gone. Where I had at least 3 inches of dead spot, it's now practically negligible. They had it on the hoist for a long time - much longer than the 20 minutes allowed for the V41 - so maybe they finally did something to fix it. Or maybe the V41 fixed it. Not sure but I am loving it. Thanks for all your feedback guys.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Maybe they adjusted the steering gear in your steering box, I doubt the V41 would do much regarding that excess play that you were experiencing but ???

OP
OP
h20boy1965

h20boy1965

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been complaining about it for the past 14 months and they've been sidestepping the issue every time I've taken it in. Could FCA have come up with a fix, and they're doing them 'as required.' It is literally like night and day.

Pamelajt

First Name
Pam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU
Maybe they adjusted the steering gear in your steering box, I doubt the V41 would do much regarding that excess play that you were experiencing but ???
The steering gears are not adjustable on the JL’s according to that “star bulletin”. If they are damaged the whole steering box will need replacing. Mines in the shop right now for the second time this week. I brought it in Monday because I experienced death wobble at about 70 miles an hour and it scared the hell out of me. Had no idea what had happened until I took to the inter-webs. I watched a ton of videos left the dealership service department a very urgent message and didn’t wait for them to call me back took it up there and said these are all the things that I want checked and fixed I listed pretty much everything in the whole front end. They treated me as a dumb girl and only change the Steering stabilizer to the new and improved part. Picked it up the same day ask them repeatedly did you check all the bushings did you check all the tie rod ends did you shake around anything that moves do I have play in my wheel still? He said “Oh yes everything‘s fine there was no damage“. went over a bridge the next day at 70 miles an hour death wobbled again. Immediately called and it’s been in the shop since Tuesday and they’re finally just now ordering and changing out the track bar because they received the new bulletin on the track bar. Which was available to them at least a month ago. I have 24,000 miles on my 2018 JLU. Didn’t have any issues til after they put the first steering stabilizer dampener wtf on there. I have to drive it from Arkansas to Colorado on Monday and I sure hope it’s fixed because I’m pretty sure they haven’t checked anything else besides the freaking track bar.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pamelajt

First Name
Pam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU
When you go back, casually remind them that you asked them to check that the first time.
Oh I’ve called every morning at 8 am for an update with new questions... I’m not a mechanic but I was married to one for 10 years. I called yesterday to ask if they had looked at the track bar and he said oh the last we had that the SS didn’t fix ended up being the track bar so he’s checking that right now... today he said they ordered the track bar late yesterday and are expecting it today. So then I mentioned the last time they had it for some other minor things that were broken (key fob wouldn’t lock or unlock one of the doors) y’all gave me another wrangler and I noticed that the steering in that one was way tighter than mine so I think this has all stemmed from my looser steering please check the gears. We’ll see. I get the feeling he’s making the jack off motion to his buddies while on the phone with me. It’s just gonna be a thorn in their side til it’s fixed. I’m not playin. I think I may request to see all my old parts and have a look see while it’s up in the air and shake some shit around for myself. I’m over this.

Last edited:

NYknowledge

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
I've had the wandering issue since day one (2018 JLU Sport S). Had it in multiple times, with no fix. Won't bore you with all the ugly details. Other than the wandering, I wasn't experiencing any of the 'death wobble' issues. Until I brought it in for the V41. On the way home, I noticed a momentary back and forth vibration in the steering wheel when hitting bumps that weren't perpendicular to direction of travel. It started becoming more pronounced over time, to the point where this morning I experienced my first full on death wobble. Not a fun experience.

Anyone else have this issue after V41?
Well i recently took my 2018 Wrangler with 10,000 miles in for service and i was told there was a steering damper recall. They replace my damper and the following day i was driving and while switching lanes on the highway doing about 55mph i hit a small bump and had the scare of my life when the steering wheel began shaking violently. I thought it was i=over for me because speeding up or slowing down didn't improve the wobble. My Jeep was perfectly fine and i never had any steering issues until they replaced my damper. i feel that replacement should not be performed unless a customer complains about the issue. I wish i could have my original damper back. Also my Jeep now pulls to the right for some strange reason.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Update.

recap 2017 recall. Dealer said they’d call when part was in. Called and I flew back from Canada. No part. Would be in next day. NO part....and day after, not. It was a week later. Couldn’t get a service booked as switchboard was very busy. Couldn’t get a Rubi to test drive as they’re too scarce.
So not my favourite dealer!

so I went in a couple of days ago, having booked it in three weeks earlier. Would you believe the guy at jeep reception had no record of my booking....and had the wrong jeep .... 2 jeeps ago from 2013. However, he did get the phone records, and listened to the recording of my booking. Unusual to do that, but honest. He went out back and came to tell me they had the part, have a coffee while they do it. Wow.

so beforehand, I’d removed the skid pan at the front myself - no need, but it made the damper easy to see and access. As recommended here, I’d scratched the oem in two places, and added a big blob of yellow paint.
The damper they put on was shiny new, and the mopar stickers all pointed the right way!
Result!
I’ve been at 75mph a few times in the past day or so. I never had the DW before the recall and I don’t now. Phew.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well i recently took my 2018 Wrangler with 10,000 miles in for service and i was told there was a steering damper recall. They replace my damper and the following day i was driving and while switching lanes on the highway doing about 55mph i hit a small bump and had the scare of my life when the steering wheel began shaking violently. I thought it was i=over for me because speeding up or slowing down didn't improve the wobble. My Jeep was perfectly fine and i never had any steering issues until they replaced my damper. i feel that replacement should not be performed unless a customer complains about the issue. I wish i could have my original damper back. Also my Jeep now pulls to the right for some strange reason.
Hi Rob,

Did you check to see if it had been installed upside down? They have to be the right way up to work.

NYknowledge

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Hi Rob,

Did you check to see if it had been installed upside down? They have to be the right way up to work.
Well I'm not really sure if it was installed correctly. I would assume that the "professionals" that installed it would know how to and would have put it in correctly. Thanks for the insite , i will check with the service department to see if it was indeed install the correct way
Sponsored