No death wobble until AFTER V41

h20boy1965

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I've had the wandering issue since day one (2018 JLU Sport S). Had it in multiple times, with no fix. Won't bore you with all the ugly details. Other than the wandering, I wasn't experiencing any of the 'death wobble' issues. Until I brought it in for the V41. On the way home, I noticed a momentary back and forth vibration in the steering wheel when hitting bumps that weren't perpendicular to direction of travel. It started becoming more pronounced over time, to the point where this morning I experienced my first full on death wobble. Not a fun experience.

Anyone else have this issue after V41?
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Installed right or wrong I call this "Recall" BS.. They are going after the wrong things to try & appease folks with steering issues and you are not the first to report such conditions. This is why I will not let them touch my ride as I am not having any issues.

Hopefully your fix is it was installed wrong .. Please let us know.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
What does V41 change?

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless, those that have steering issues under warranty have no other avenue.

It’s chase the problem and spend a bunch of your money OR let them chase the problem and spend a bunch of their money.

I’ll take the latter.

Again, if you’re already in this boat might as well. Nothing to lose.

Taking mine back in tomorrow actually and having them replace the track bar, steering box (and tension spring), (1) sport bar speaker, oil change, (5) tire rotation and adjust the drag link (which wasn’t done during the v41).

Blah..

EDIT:
I will say, my v41 was installed correctly (except for not adjusting the drag link to bring the steering wheel back to center) and it did tighten it up a little and reduce the dead space. Still some dead space though.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Going by recent forum posts, a lot of people have encountered fresh DW after the V41 recall because the new damper has been installed upside down which prevents it from operating as it should. Check your orientation label!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sorry to hear that OP :(
My V41 was installed correctly, steering was just fine prior but seems even tighter now, so for me it was a good swap :)

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'd also add that if you experienced DW with an incorrectly installed V41 damper, insist on it being replaced rather than simply put back in the right way as it's almost certainly been damaged by the DW event.

Sponsored

OP
OP
h20boy1965

h20boy1965

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll check tonight and report back. I have an appointment on Monday to take it back in. It's mindnumbingly frustrating talking to my service guy and listening to him pretend he's never heard of the issues I'm describing. It's only after I inform him of a Star Case (S1819000003) or recall that he 'remembers hearing something about that.' Brutal.

OP
OP
h20boy1965

h20boy1965

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll also add that the V41 helped tremendously. I can one finger drive on the freeway now, like a normal vehicle.
I would check the part to make sure it was installed correctly.
Can't even imagine what that would be like.