Sponsored

Next upgrades?

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Hi all, I have a 2020 JLU sahara. I mostly drive it as a daily driver, but with some fairly mild fire roads on camping weekends. I'm looking to get into some slightly more challenging off road adventures, but nothing too difficult, I'm not looking to do the rubicon, for example. Looking for suggestions on my next upgrade, things that improve either use: both the daily driver use as well as off roading. I also have two small kids, so things that make it better with them are welcome as well.

Installed so far:

Windshield Protection film kit (from grab-gard.com)
Partial PPF (stek) along the hood and sides
Rough country 3.5" lift
Cheap seat back covers from amazon (the kids like to kick the seats)

Any suggestions for expanding my ability to carry camping gear? Do people like doing a roof rack and strapping different stuff onto it, versus a cargo box? I have a hard top.
Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Recovery and Safety readiness kit.
First Aid
Fire Extinguisher
GMRS Radio
Tire deflator
Winch
Tow Strap
Tree Strap
Soft Shackle
Snatch Block
Gloves
Basic Tool kit
maps
GPS

OP
OP

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Thanks. Regarding GPS, what do you think about an iPad or phone based system? I know in the sailing world, those work pretty well, even for long offshore passages. And it seems the offroading environment would be even more ideal for those, since you're not "navigating" from a wet/salty cockpit.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Thanks. Regarding GPS, what do you think about an iPad or phone based system? I know in the sailing world, those work pretty well, even for long offshore passages. And it seems the offroading environment would be even more ideal for those, since you're not "navigating" from a wet/salty cockpit.
I have both a Garmin GPS and use Android apps. Android GPS apps are far easier to use and work very well for navigation. I assume Apple apps are about the same. The Garmin GPS has far better safety features, satellite SOS and 3rd party tracking via satellite. There's also search & rescue insurance available through their satellite service subscription. So they kind of serve two different purposes and are good backups to each other.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Basic self rescue and basic survival gear (food, water, fire started, space blankets etc) for you AND those with you. Check for threads on these subjects and you’ll find a lot of good info. For carrying a roof rack will work ok.
Sponsored