Sponsored

New Rubicon Inspection?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23917
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5

Deleted member 23917

I ordered a 2019 Rubicon on Sept. 26 and just received a call that it is now here. Really surprised it came so fast as I ordered the Sky power top. Here is my question:
Do you guys recommend a full inspection on a hoist before paying? Or just a quick inspection and then take care of any issues through the warranty?
I am also wondering if there is a decal somewhere in the jeep that lists all the option codes?
Thanks for your feedback!
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a 2019 Rubicon on Sept. 26 and just received a call that it is now here. Really surprised it came so fast as I ordered the Sky power top. Here is my question:
Do you guys recommend a full inspection on a hoist before paying? Or just a quick inspection and then take care of any issues through the warranty?
I am also wondering if there is a decal somewhere in the jeep that lists all the option codes?
Have you been able to receive your VIN yet? Not sure how it works through ordering but at any rate if you do have your VIN you can plug it into the Jeep website and it will give you what your loadout or build encompasses.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
There is no option sticker on the Jeep that I’ve ever found. You’ll have your window sticker, and online you should be able to get your build sheet. Think mine was about 8or9 pages.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23917

There is no option sticker on the Jeep that I’ve ever found. You’ll have your window sticker, and online you should be able to get your build sheet. Think mine was about 8or9 pages.
Thanks Everyone, Bill and Morton, How did you get your build sheet online. I have searched all over the Jeep website and also the internet and can't find any place where I can access.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
You are the one buying and driving it, how much you inspect it is your choice. Just keep in mind, are you a mechanic or do you think you are? What are you looking for/expecting? Are you looking for superficial things? Do you plan on taking the bumpers off? What about the wheels? What kind of electrical tests are you going to run? If the fuses aren't fully seated, are you going to decline purchase, or just press them down? How much of an inspection do you typically do when you buy a car?

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
What are you worried about. That is what the warranty is for. Is this your first new car?? The window sticker will have the options that you ordered. Pretty easy to see if they all are there.

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
The chances of your dealership letting you into the shop to inspect the Jeep on a lift is almost nill. Liabilities and all...most just won't do it. What my dealership done though was the next best thing. They set my '18 JL Rubicon in one of their cleaning bays and let me go at it. I took the checklist and verified everything I could. I even rolled under the Jeep (on their clean floor) and checked things underneath. In my case, the only issue I found was the Passenger side Rubicon sticker on the hood was crooked...noticeably. They put in for a replacement sticker while I was signing the paperwork and replaced it free of cost as soon as the sticker came in. I even got a loaner car while they had my Jeep. Hope this helps.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
At the very least, take it up to 50+ MPH and see how much slop is in the steering wheel left and right before the jeep responds. Make sure you're comfortable with the slop or we'll be seeing you in the loose steering discussion thread soon. :)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Tell them to put it on the life to inspect the suspected welds that have not lived up to daily driving. If anything looks not on par then I'd have them address it immediately before taking delivery.

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
I just know what I ordered and made sure it was there. You don't remember what options you added? there isn't that many. Ive never put a car on lift and did my own inspection before delivery didn't do it this time. That seems a bit extreme. I walked around it made sure no scratches or dents in paint and the leather was nice. Cut them the check and enjoy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23917

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions.
As for the questions.........
My only worry was the frame welds (I should have clarified that) I inspected on the hoist and all appeared fine. Up here in Canada, most dealers are OK with taking you in the shop. I have gone in and looked with them every time they say I need something replaced underneath when having cars serviced.
As for easily remembering all the options, I ordered every option and there are quite a few (in my opinion)
Most are obvious but it is easy to miss something that is not easily visible. I am just thinking about so many other things.
I was able to get the build sheet before pickup so problem solved.
I am new to Jeep but other manufacturers make errors and omissions on special orders all the time.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
The chances of your dealership letting you into the shop to inspect the Jeep on a lift is almost nill. Liabilities and all...most just won't do it. What my dealership done though was the next best thing. They set my '18 JL Rubicon in one of their cleaning bays and let me go at it. I took the checklist and verified everything I could. I even rolled under the Jeep (on their clean floor) and checked things underneath. In my case, the only issue I found was the Passenger side Rubicon sticker on the hood was crooked...noticeably. They put in for a replacement sticker while I was signing the paperwork and replaced it free of cost as soon as the sticker came in. I even got a loaner car while they had my Jeep. Hope this helps.
I had mine on a lift before I signed the papers. The dealer gave me no trouble whatsoever. Even had the shop dudes with their flashlights under lighting so I can view the welds, track bar, etc.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Here's a pre-purchase JL check list I posted on another thread ... I thought it would be of use to those flying in and driving a long distance home from Superior Jeep, AR. I sent Kim this check list 4 days prior to purchase. Kim had her people go through this list ... so when I arrived, we went through it quickly. Good luck!

Here a list of items prepping for the purchase of the Jeep JL JWXXXXXX, Hardtop Rubicon JL.

High Level Check List:

A. Payment: Pls verify check from Credit Union Arrived at Superior Jeep on xx/xx/xxxx (this would be 5 days prior to purchase date).

B. Insurance: XYZ Insurance will cover the Jeep starting on purchase date of JL. I'll bring proof of insurance ... insurance card. Any questions call XYZ Insurance at xxx.xxx.xxxx.

C. Flight Info: Delta xxxx, From Altanta (ATL), GA to Little Rock, AR (LIT). Arrive LIT: 11:25am. I'll call you when I arrive?

D. Tread Lightly Cover Letter: I’ll bring the Tread Lightly Cover letter with me to give to you when I arrive.

E. Like to check the Jeep for alignment (drives straight) and to put the Jeep up on the lift and check for leaks. Here's my detail check list:

Detail Check List:

1. Verify Jeep drives straight with steering wheel centered (straight up and down).

2. Place Jeep on lift and look underneath for fluid leaks (oil pan, transmission pan, transfer case, both front and rear differentials), weld joints, any damage underneath and location of where the jack goes underneath JL in order to change a tire.

3. Two sets of fob keys

4. Jeep mini ratchet set/Torx (for hardtop/windshield/doors)

5. Lug nut key (for spare) and the lock nut on the spare.

6. Freedom top storage bag for hard top pieces.

7. Jeep hitch receiver rubber insert.

8. Towing Pkg: small baggie with tubing and splices.

9. Cold Weather Group option: removable AC cord that is part of the block heater kit (under the hood?).

10. Rear Cargo cubby rubber mat

11. Rubber mats inside center console

12. Rear mounting connector for rear windshield wiper tubing and rear electrical connector. This mounting connector is used to secure the rear windshield washer hose and electronics wiring when the hard top is removed.

13. Verify all options paid for are included in JL.

14. Pair Phone and go over how to use JL’s Navigation on 8.4” screen.

15. Locate where jack is … (incase one has to change a tire during delivery).

16. Test start/stop. Test start/stop so the slightest reduction of brake pressure will cause the engine to re-start during a normal start/stop/start sequence. Replace brake switch if necessary. If necessary or upon request of owner, turn off start/stop function by deactivating driver side hood switch (there are 2 vertical spring switches, side by side under the hood, near the front driver side. Deactivate the driver side one.)

17. Check Air Conditioning and Heat.
Sponsored