Sponsored

New JLU owner... Not too Happy

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Yep, it begins. Let me try to stop this before it begins. A auto manufacturer produces hundreds of thousands if not more of each vehicles yearly. Yes, everyone has issues, recalls, things to work out that may affect some people. Find one manufacturer who has never delt with a recall, issue, whatever. .
As an R&D Engineer for 30 some years I can tell you the start of every production run of a complex product gets a ton of processes streamlined out in first couple of months.

Every time I pop in to manufacturing (I dont work at jeep, the stuff I design costs alot more than a car), I find some odd thing going on cause someone did not understand something, and was doing something not needed based on some other product or some such. In some cases it boggles my mind.

That said, I am really glad the 2 door is not available yet, despite knowing what I know, its temping to want it now. I will order in a couple of months while they earn their stripes on the new model :O
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
It's pretty normal with Jeeps, so don't sweat it. They'll get it fixed. Heck, my 2012 JK spent months in the shop with head issues. I think I drove it a total of 21 days the first 6 months I owned it. They will get it worked out, just be patient, it's normal!

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I had a similar experience in 2003 when I bought one of the very early Porsche Cayenne's. It had a half dozen issues in the first 6 months, they were all execution issues versus design issues, but after 6 months it was flawless and I drove that vehicle for 9+ years. I never once drove that car, after it was sorted out, when I didn't appreciate the engineering behind it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Your JLU comes with the Jeep Wave program. It includes a dedicated number to call if it have questions or issues.

I have heard this program is a little more responsive to issues. While it sounds like your dealer is doing the right thing you may want to call and start a case with them in case things don't improve.

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/care/jeep-wave/sign-in.html

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Ah the downside of being the first one to have the new toy. It sucks and I feel for you but people have to kind of expect this, donā€™t they. They shouldnā€™t have to and car manufacturers should have all the bugs worked out but letā€™s face it when the mass production starts, things happen. This is the whole reason we are waiting a bit. Donā€™t need to be the first, need to be the happiest.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Ah the downside of being the first one to have the new toy. It sucks and I feel for you but people have to kind of expect this, donā€™t they. They shouldnā€™t have to and car manufacturers should have all the bugs worked out but letā€™s face it when the mass production starts, things happen. This is the whole reason we are waiting a bit. Donā€™t need to be the first, need to be the happiest.
Good luck if you think waiting insures trouble-free. I have 2 friends who just bought new JKs and have had worse problems. Just a bump in the road. And if you like Jeeps, you learn to enjoy the obstacles. Enjoy your wait. I am enjoying working on mods for my ā€œnew toyā€. Happiest and first.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The one guy i know online who actually works in the factory is still working the JK line and said a lot of other veterans are too. So if you want the pros to build your Wrangler you have to wait until they shut down the JK line. I'm guessing they will move the guys with seniority over to the JL line and lay off the freshers while they re-tool for the JT.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Good luck if you think waiting insures trouble-free. I have 2 friends who just bought new JKs and have had worse problems. Just a bump in the road. And if you like Jeeps, you learn to enjoy the obstacles. Enjoy your wait. I am enjoying working on mods for my ā€œnew toyā€. Happiest and first.
Did I say it would insure trouble free, nope. Is it very common that any new model has more problems with the first units than the later units, yep. I need to wait for some live samples to make it to the dealership to see the colors live anyway. Yes I like Jeeps and no I do not need to deal with ā€œobstaclesā€ on a $53k vehicle, you can enjoy those. My GC is trouble free, no obstacles. Enjoy being first, you are cool.

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
IMO, the only two brands that practically guarantee a tank are Honda & Toyota. And even that isn't a lock; we had a Honda with a transmission failure.

But to call out FCA as if it's an exception rather than the rule might be overstating the case. Both MB & BMW are notorious for defects, many of which require incredibly expensive fixes. When my wife decided to exchange her Lexus for an MB, we did so under a lease with the knowledge that we could flip it back if it got out of control.

It's like a big bell curve, with Toy/Hon on one side, and the other occupied by Range Rover, Jag, FIAT (500), Porsche, and others. FCA, Ford, GM, Mazda, et al all sit in the middle within the same general quality range. Some might have problems, while others may prove to be performers.

But if you really want to complain, try getting an MB or BMW. I cannot tell you how many people we know who have constant problems, are either getting their cars towed from their homes, or are driving dealer loaners.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Leticia29; thanks for being one of the early purchasers of a brand new redesigned automobile. Anything that is manufactured is built by imperfect human beings; sometimes resulting in imperfect products. The fact a warranty exists is for this very reason. Iā€™ve owned my share of new cars, Mercedes, Audi, VW, MINI, Jeep, all with early problems, except surprisingly; the MINI. The problems youā€™re experiencing are minor and will be corrected.

Somebody has to be the initial owner of a new redesigned product. Thanks for being this person with the agony and frustration to help flesh out any problems for all of us new purchasers yet to come.

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
Personally, I don't mind having new car issues, but absolutely hate having to deal with the dealership for anything. We're talking a $50K vehicle here, lots of other manufactures force their dealers to have available loaners, especially in this situation. Jeep's really bad at tracking down intermittent issues.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Personally, I don't mind having new car issues, but absolutely hate having to deal with the dealership for anything. We're talking a $50K vehicle here, lots of other manufactures force their dealers to have available loaners, especially in this situation. Jeep's really bad at tracking down intermittent issues.
Iā€™ve had more problems with inept dealers and poor workmanship from technicians then I can count on both hands. I always know exactly what is wrong with my vehicle when bringing it in for service or warranty work; the problem was many times the service technicians were clueless even after you tell them what the problem is. That just goes back to the imperfect human being who think they know what the problem is, but really donā€™t.

OP
OP

Leticia29

First Name
Leticia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Did they say how/why the wires were cut?

Did they say how/why there was no freon?
No they never did tell me that. But come Monday when I take it back I'll be asking a lot more questions and getting all records they have of it going in to the shop.

OP
OP

Leticia29

First Name
Leticia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Leticia, I think I know how you feel. I'm waiting for a Hella Jella Jeep during my mid-life crises (that's what the family says). I bought three brand new Mercedes S Classes in my live. All were in the very early production stage. My latest one (W222) I got delivered and I could not even start it! The keyless start did not work. I mean, it' a Mercedes. A S Class. Brand new and you cannot even start it? So I left the dealer without car and pretty angry. I sat down and wrote a much more angry email to the technical board member of Daimler. You won't believe, but it helped. I got respone from his secretary and they directly contacted the dealer, worked it out and gave me (after asking me what they can do as a small compensation for my troubles) a roof rack for free. So this can happen, especially in early stage production, where the quality test's need improvement. It's also important that the manufacturer get this feedback. Otherwise they cannot improve.

I was realy angry, but now I must say that this things can happen and it's just important, how they handle it.....

I hope you get it fixed soon and contact FCA directly....
Thank you, yes I definitely will be contacting FCA.
Sponsored