Sponsored

Never had regen - occasionally get full fan speeds - normal?

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I've seen a ton of posts on here about weird regen cycles. I've had my diesel for 15 months now, and have never had a regen cycle. However, around once a week, I'll notice that my fan speeds crank up to max (loud enough to hear at highway speeds). They will stay like this for ~5 minutes, then go back to normal.

My Jeep has 23,500 miles, and I usually drive 15-25 miles at a time, at typical city speeds. The fan thing seems to happen after about 5 minutes of driving (never later than 10 minutes, and never before engine comes up to temp).

Any ideas if this is abnormal?
Sponsored

OP
OP
00 Trans Ram

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
You’ve had a minimum of 29 regen cycles
OK, so how would I know? Is it that "fans at full speed" thing?

I've never gotten any messages pop up or been told to continue driving.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer

Unless you are interrupting regens and the Jeep not having opportunities to reduce the soot, active regens go unnoticed and no messages will be displayed.
Only if you are monitoring them through an OBD2 monitor, you wouldn't know if a regen occured.
Which is good, but I wish there was a display.

Sponsored

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Get a ScanGuage. I love mine. It tells me when a regen starts so I can be sure to let it finish - or ensure I get it low enough so that I can plan for the next drive.

00B8958B-FD68-4900-AA9E-D5575FB72071.jpeg

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've had my diesel for 15 months now, and have never had a regen cycle.
What are you basing this on? Scangauge or seat-of-the-pants? I don't hear, smell, or sense anything during the active regen process. I do notice turbo temperature running higher, but you'd still need an aftermarket gauge to determine that. The "regen on" is the only surefire way to know for sure.

Buy a Scangauge. They're inexpensive and easy to install.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I like the info from a ScanGage but have no interest in more clutter floating inside. Wish Jeep would just show it on the screen. It would be a simple software update.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I like the info from a ScanGage but have no interest in more clutter floating inside. Wish Jeep would just show it on the screen. It would be a simple software update.
Agreed, should have been a built in feature to display at least turbo temps and regen state.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep should definitely have diesel monitoring metrics available from the factory. If you mount the Scangauge cleanly it is less visually intrusive than you'd think. I've tucked mine up against the driver's side A-pillar. It's securely mounted with cables easily routed under the dash. It's much smaller than it appears in the attached close-up photo. I'd give up my tachometer before my Scangauge.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mounting-scangauge.59069/

Jeep Wrangler JL Never had regen - occasionally get full fan speeds - normal? IMG_0359

Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Jeep should definitely have diesel monitoring metrics available from the factory. If you mount the Scangauge cleanly it is less visually intrusive than you'd think. I've tucked mine up against the driver's side A-pillar. It's securely mounted with cables easily routed under the dash. It's much smaller than it appears in the attached close-up photo. I'd give up my tachometer before my Scangauge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Never had regen - occasionally get full fan speeds - normal? IMG_0359
I don't hate any of these or the tool itself. The best thing about Wranglers is that we all like different things. I happen to like the dash 100% untouched by other stuff, and we are in violent agreement about the need for a diesel gauge page.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

IMG_0359.jpg
Regarding dash — I just walked out and took this real quick for anyone interested in how much space it takes up (whether the OP buys one or not, I realized that all pics are close ups).

Unrelated, this forum is really a major pain in the ass on a mobile device.

Jeep Wrangler JL Never had regen - occasionally get full fan speeds - normal? 96EFF393-FE27-4B28-8ABC-AA41DD8686F7

Last edited:

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
In my X5d, you need to be driving for a certain amount of time @ >55mph for it to regen. With my Bluetooth obd tool I can force a regen while on the highway as well.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation