Sponsored

Need to recalibrate/flash computer after regearing?

OP
OP

WildCatguy

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
You should have bought a Rubicon, or maybe your dealer will give you a fair trade out.
Just changing gears so I can get my 6th gear back on the highway.
Sponsored

MartyP

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2door
You don't need a flash or programmer to recal if you have a MT. I have a 2019 JL/MT and was getting ESS errors on the dash after I swapped the stock axles (3:45) for Ribicon axles (4:10). I followed the attached procedure (can't remember which post I got this from, sorry) and the Jeep reprogrammed itself! Basically, disconnect the negative terminal on both batteries, wait 30 sec or so, then reconnect. Drive the Jeep at a constant speed in 6th gear (50-55 mph) and hold it there for at least 30 seconds. That's it. Worked for me.

recal.JPG

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Just changing gears so I can get my 6th gear back on the highway.
I still have 8 on flat highway, otherwise 7 is still strong using 275/65/18s on a sport pentstar 6. The tires are light XL load rating Nitto Terra grapplers. After these wear out going to 265/65/18s to get my ride back! my daily driver.

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr Sport S
You don't need a flash or programmer to recal if you have a MT. I have a 2019 JL/MT and was getting ESS errors on the dash after I swapped the stock axles (3:45) for Ribicon axles (4:10). I followed the attached procedure (can't remember which post I got this from, sorry) and the Jeep reprogrammed itself! Basically, disconnect the negative terminal on both batteries, wait 30 sec or so, then reconnect. Drive the Jeep at a constant speed in 6th gear (50-55 mph) and hold it there for at least 30 seconds. That's it. Worked for me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need to recalibrate/flash computer after regearing? recal.JPG
Do I have to disconnect the aux battery at its terminal or just at the main battery? Looks like both are ran to the main battery connection

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
You may not need to program anything with a manual. Buddy has a JK and went to 4.xx gears and the speed sensor on the JK is on a front wheel, not the transmission. So there's no need to reprogram on the JK at least. I wouldn't be surprised if JL is the same.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Jeep Wrangler JL Need to recalibrate/flash computer after regearing? recal.JPG
That procedure isn’t going to properly adjust your speedometer for the new gears. You definitely need a flash/programmer.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That procedure isn’t going to properly adjust your speedometer for the new gears. You definitely need a flash/programmer.
Pretty sure the speed sensor on the JK/JL is not tied to the transmission or driveshaft. It's on one of the wheels, hence no speedometer issues with new gears. If it's a manual, then there's no transmission issues either.
Sponsored