Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why this never occurred to me before... I was playing with the gearing calculator putting in different sizes and ratios. I have a JLUR with 4.10 gears and 37s. I'm looking to go to 4.88 or 5.13, probably 5.13. I just realized that the overall ratio of my current 8th gear with 4.10 is the same as the overall ratio of 7th gear with 5.13. So if you have a rubi and aren't changing tires, you're new 8th gear will be the same as your current 7th gear on the interstate. Which is already where the jeep spends most of its time at highway speed.

Maybe this is common knowledge. It blew my mind. I drove 30 miles or so yesterday on the highway doing 79 mph in 7th. Its flat in Iowa so my jeep shifts into 8th more than others. But even if it gets into 8th, any acceleration or hill goes back to 7th. So really no difference other than way less shifting.
upload_2020-5-8_14-2-24.png
Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Hereā€™s the procedure. Did the shop adjust your gear ratio in the computer? The 6 speed really requires some extra steps everyonce in a while. Might be worth the try, be sure to disconnect both batteries.

Youā€™re not going to hurt anything with driving it!

Jeep Wrangler JL Need some advice with regearing upload_2020-5-8_14-2-24
So, I got an adapter and bypass for the Jeep. I used the jscan to reprogram the Jeep for the 4.88 gears. But, the cruise control is still not working, the serv 4wd, abs etc. lights are still on. I tried to clear any error codes using the scanner.
has anyone else had this happen? The 4.88 is set I double checked it. Wondering if itā€™ll just take a bit to reset?
i did take it on the freeway and ran it at 70mph in 6th for a while.

I went the scanner route so I could reset the tpms threshold value, and that was successful.

just wanted to see how the dummy light issue was resolved with others.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
So, I got an adapter and bypass for the Jeep. I used the jscan to reprogram the Jeep for the 4.88 gears. But, the cruise control is still not working, the serv 4wd, abs etc. lights are still on. I tried to clear any error codes using the scanner.
has anyone else had this happen? The 4.88 is set I double checked it. Wondering if itā€™ll just take a bit to reset?
i did take it on the freeway and ran it at 70mph in 6th for a while.

I went the scanner route so I could reset the tpms threshold value, and that was successful.

just wanted to see how the dummy light issue was resolved with others.
Did you disconnect both batteries?

Brett

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Did you disconnect both batteries?

Brett
I did. But I think it didnā€™t get a chance to fully discharge. It seemed like it was fully drained but the spark when I reconnected it makes me think it wasnā€™t.
I have an appointment with the dealer in the morning. But after reading comments from others Iā€™m not confident theyā€™ll help.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I did. But I think it didnā€™t get a chance to fully discharge. It seemed like it was fully drained but the spark when I reconnected it makes me think it wasnā€™t.
I have an appointment with the dealer in the morning. But after reading comments from others Iā€™m not confident theyā€™ll help.
The aux battery is harder to disconnect unless you know which wire to remove. When you think itā€™s disconnected, open the door to the Jeep and see if thereā€™s any power what so ever in there. If there is, unhook the other wire on the battery harness. Iā€™d have to grab and Jeep and take a pic of which wire it is. Iā€™d guess it still had power and thatā€™s whatā€™s causing your issues. Nothing needs to discharge as a capacitor or anything wouldnā€™t be causing the issue

Brett

Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
The aux battery is harder to disconnect unless you know which wire to remove. When you think itā€™s disconnected, open the door to the Jeep and see if thereā€™s any power what so ever in there. If there is, unhook the other wire on the battery harness. Iā€™d have to grab and Jeep and take a pic of which wire it is. Iā€™d guess it still had power and thatā€™s whatā€™s causing your issues. Nothing needs to discharge as a capacitor or anything wouldnā€™t be causing the issue

Brett
All the lights are off. I canā€™t turn on the dome lights or anything else manually. I disconnected the negative from the battery and then took off the 3 other black cables that were attached to it. They are separated, but the one still sparks when I go to reattach it. I read another thread that the sparking is normal, others have had it too, itā€™s definitely disconnected.
I only left it disconnected for about 10 minutes lasttime, Iā€™ll give it a few hours tonight and then give up and take it to the dealer tomorrow if I canā€™t get it to work,
thanks brett!

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I read through most of the thread and canā€™t help but wonder.

If a 35ā€ tire is ā€œmeasuredā€ by the consumer as 33.x, Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s with the tire bearing the weight of the Jeep.

I mean, if you donā€™t lift that tire off the ground, it isnā€™t round...isnā€™t round what manufacturers measurements are based on?

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

#asking4AFriend
Sponsored