Sponsored

Help me not get ripped off please! Regearing advice needed!!

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Do you guys think this project with both the regear and pulsar together equal a noticeable increase in lower end torque?
Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Shops will charge you whatever they can get away with for gearing, because theyve learned people with money are buying jeeps. They want their cut of that new jeep with lift wheel and tires you rolled in with.

jeep shopping around. Anything over $2k is too much. $3600 is something i couldnt have even been polite about.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
jeep shopping around. Anything over $2k is too much. $3600 is something i couldnt have even been polite about.
Another thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is that sometimes a high quote is from a shop that is giving you the "I don't really want to do that" price.

I had a vehicle with a weird, troublesome water pump. I called one of the big shops, and got a quote that was off the charts. I called around and found a small shop willing to undertake the work at a good price. He stood behind his work, but it took him three tries. That's probably why the first shop quoted me so high. They were really saying nope, we'd really rather not have to deal with that nightmare again.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Another thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is that sometimes a high quote is from a shop that is giving you the "I don't really want to do that" price.

I had a vehicle with a weird, troublesome water pump. I called one of the big shops, and got a quote that was off the charts. I called around and found a small shop willing to undertake the work at a good price. He stood behind his work, but it took him three tries. That's probably why the first shop quoted me so high. They were really saying nope, we'd really rather not have to deal with that nightmare again.
There is always the fuck that job, but hey if you are willing to pay enough I will work on it price.

I asked a welding shop if they would weld up a 20lbs propane tank bracket to the frame of my small camper. They came back with a price of $450. They already had the camper there doing some work to it. I just figured they were like.... I don't want to do this and run the liability of it coming off going down the HWY so if you really want us to build it, you will PAY for it. I passed.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I don't want to do this and run the liability of it coming off going down the HWY so if you really want us to build it, you will PAY for it. I passed.
Yup. I'll do it, but if you make me do it, I'm going to make you pay through the nose!

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
-Are there certain brands of gears I should avoid or are their “tried and true” brand names?

Dana Spicer (OEM) gears and Yukon gears are the only options I will go with, Revolution used to be good but heard some negatives recently, avoid all others (G2, nitro, etc.)

Unfortunately, most shops only do one brand of gears, so your final choice of gear brand really just depends on your shop choice.

- Is this regear process something that can seriously screwed up? How do you select a shop to trust? Both shops have good Google reviews and one shop has been recommended on this board

Yes, it can be totally screwed up. This is a task requires absolute patience and years of experience, setting backlash and pinion depth are critical for the longevity of your gears. Don't forget proper break-in especially the first 50 miles.

Gears are the only mods on my Jeep I outsourced, I did other 999 modes but left this one to professionals.

- Both shops also said I would need to reprogram the CPU after the regear and I could consider a Flashcal to get additional power. Thoughts there? Worth it or do these “muck up” a system.

Yes, you do need somewhat a programmer. Otherwise, your speedometer will be off, your shift point will be off. You will lose the benefits of regearing pretty much.

The go to rate of regearing used to be $1,000 per axle, however the recent inflation has seen the price around my area to about $2,200-2,300.

By the way, if you don't know how to install drive shaft, axle shaft, brake rotor, steering knuckle, even tie rod, but you do want to upgrade any of the above, you can talk to most the nice shop to charge you minimum to put on these parts. They need to be removed and reinstalled for regearing anyway, so may as well just put on new parts.

WTX Diesel

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Sport
I charge 2k for a regear with dana spicer parts which are oem. Also can program the computer for $75 with my laptop

were In Texas though. I’d suggest 4.88 too

brett
Where in Texas are you? I'm needing regear for 2020 JLU diesel

rustyshakelford1

Where in Texas are you? I'm needing regear for 2020 JLU diesel
Were outside of Navasota. I requested to discontinue being a site sponsor and they immediately locked me out of my original profile I have had for years well before the business. Unfortunately I cannot respond to any messages or posts now hence why I had to create a new profile. I’m not doing much with Jeeps lately as I’m making a significant career shift but I still try to do one or two Jeeps a month. More than happy to talk Jeeps, give advice or help out. My website is b n L jeep shop dot com which has my contact info

brett

WTX Diesel

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Sport
Were outside of Navasota. I requested to discontinue being a site sponsor and they immediately locked me out of my original profile I have had for years well before the business. Unfortunately I cannot respond to any messages or posts now hence why I had to create a new profile. I’m not doing much with Jeeps lately as I’m making a significant career shift but I still try to do one or two Jeeps a month. More than happy to talk Jeeps, give advice or help out. My website is b n L jeep shop dot com which has my contact info

brett
Thanks man
Sponsored