99mhz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks I'll give this a try tonight. I took the whole negative terminal off, but both grounds still tied together, and still had power in the dash!
@gts and @rustyshakelford thanks for the help. Disconnecting full power did it. I disconnected the two negative leads on the main battery and separated them. for good measure I put a multi-meter on the battery + and fender ground and watched as some large capacitor discharged. I waited till it got down to about 1/2 volt then reconnected everything.
Took it down the highway and did the 6th gear relearn procedure, and the ESS errors are gone! Woot! I'm going to find a dirt road in the morning to test if that solved my "service 4x4 system" issue too :fingerscrossed:
Sponsored

aklino

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
@gts and @rustyshakelford thanks for the help. Disconnecting full power did it. I disconnected the two negative leads on the main battery and separated them. for good measure I put a multi-meter on the battery + and fender ground and watched as some large capacitor discharged. I waited till it got down to about 1/2 volt then reconnected everything.
Took it down the highway and did the 6th gear relearn procedure, and the ESS errors are gone! Woot! I'm going to find a dirt road in the morning to test if that solved my "service 4x4 system" issue too :fingerscrossed:
I had this issue too. I thought it was an issue with my Superchips Flashcal F5. Had 4.88's installed and still running on 35's with a 6-speed manual. Superchips had me try resetting the DTC's, which did nothing. I tried simply disconnecting the negative terminal from the main battery (trying to shortcut) -- problem persisted. Disconnected both the the negative and positive terminals, and separated all the cables going to the negative terminal, and then turned on the headlights and stood on the brake pedal for 3 minutes to drain the capacitor. Hooked it all back up, and I'm back in business! Fun fact, the Flashcal had lost the 4.88 setting in the gear ratio. I had to re-add that, but no issues otherwise.

99mhz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had this issue too. I thought it was an issue with my Superchips Flashcal F5. Had 4.88's installed and still running on 35's with a 6-speed manual. Superchips had me try resetting the DTC's, which did nothing. I tried simply disconnecting the negative terminal from the main battery (trying to shortcut) -- problem persisted. Disconnected both the the negative and positive terminals, and separated all the cables going to the negative terminal, and then turned on the headlights and stood on the brake pedal for 3 minutes to drain the capacitor. Hooked it all back up, and I'm back in business! Fun fact, the Flashcal had lost the 4.88 setting in the gear ratio. I had to re-add that, but no issues otherwise.
If there is ever a next time i'll do the headlight thing :like:. Probably would have saved me a bunch of time!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Did this today as well. Worked great. For the 3.6 folks youā€™ll need a 10mm and 15mm. Disconnect the negative from the battery and also seperate the large negative wire on the bundle, thatā€™s what the 15mm is for. I let mine sit for a hour or two while I swapped my steering stabilizer and adjusted some other steering stuff.

Brett

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to add my thanks to Sharkbite22.
I regeared to 4.56s, and got the dreaded ā€œESS not working/service stop/start systemā€ flag, every time after initial start up and I went over 25 MPH. My rear camera stopped working too.

I was at a loss until I stumbled onto this thread. I followed the procedure outlined and itā€™s fixed, many thanks!

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

I didn't see a follow up, did this solve the service 4x4 issue too? I'm going to try this today after my 4:56 regear. I'm having the same issue.

99mhz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't see a follow up, did this solve the service 4x4 issue too? I'm going to try this today after my 4:56 regear. I'm having the same issue.
Hi @TMJL2018 It did go away after the reset. hope it worked in your case too!

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

Hi @TMJL2018 It did go away after the reset. hope it worked in your case too!
Thanks! I ended up setting them with the tazer and wanted to correct my tire size. Runs and performs so much better now.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to say thank you to all of you that contributed to this thread. My Jeep has spent a total of three weeks over three separate trips to the dealer since November on this issue. They replaced batteries, IBS sensor, starter relay, worked with FCA, etc and never figured it out.

I followed what you guys posted here and all is good! 4.88ā€™s and 37ā€™s. Wish I would thought about the top gear relearn being the issue. I have a tazer and have followed their relearn process several times and never thought about that not taking when I did it.

Thanks again

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Did you do the drive in for a while in 6th gear part too, or just the disconnect, lights and stand on brake drain the capacitor part?

Did this today as well. Worked great. For the 3.6 folks youā€™ll need a 10mm and 15mm. Disconnect the negative from the battery and also seperate the large negative wire on the bundle, thatā€™s what the 15mm is for. I let mine sit for a hour or two while I swapped my steering stabilizer and adjusted some other steering stuff.

Brett
Thank you!! Iā€™ll be trying this today :).

I just got my 6-speed regeared and am having the ESS error too. Thank you all for sharing what you did and how it worked! Much appreciated!

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
So, I just tried to reset my system after the regear. I have the serv4wd, no cruise control, intermittent back up camera, abs light and no ess. I was off roading on Thursday and am not sure if I was in true 4wd or not. No light lit for 4H or 4Lo but I did have 4wd as it crawled along. Not as well as I expected, maybe that is more than just a light? Maybe the 4wd really isnā€™t fully functioning?

hereā€™s what I did today:
I bought the bypass cable and icar scan adapter, downloaded and bought the license for the jscan app.
i successfully reprogrammed the gears to 4.88, and reset the ecu.
I closed it all out, and even went and did the 6th gear 20+ seconds of driving.
Came home turned it off, and then restarted it very optimistically.
all the lights and problems are still there. :(

so, tonight I disconnected the negative terminal, and separated and disconnected all 3 black cables attached to it (13mm socket, btw, not 15mm as Iā€™d read ;) ). since it was 10pm, I chose the faster draining method mentioned and turned on the lights and stepped on the brake pedal for 3 minutes. I reconnected everything (sparked a little at one point which concernEd me but it was fine-now Iā€™m wondering if this meant it wasnā€™t fully drained?) and went for a drive to do the 6th gear part (did 65 in 6th gear for a minute or so). Back home, restarted. All the lights are still lit :(.

I connected the jscan again and the gears were still correct at 4.88, so they didnā€™t reset which I think is good. I reset the ecu again, and cleared any codes (none showed in the reader but I hit the trash can as per jscanā€™s recommendation to clear codes even if they donā€™t show up).
i disconnected it and started it again and all the lights are still there. I think the check engine light is now lit, but canā€™t be 100% sure, canā€™t recall if it stayed on when started,

any suggestions? Iā€™m new to this (can you tell ;)) so any advice is welcome. should I try to fully disconnect the battery? That seems like itā€™ll have more problems (reset the radio etc).
Maybe the brake and headlight trick didnā€™t drain the capacitor enough? (Leaning toward this)
Maybe I need to just drive it a while and itā€™ll figure itself out? (Iā€™d like this to be the solution!)
maybe my car is just not cooperative?

Those who did the reset, did your lights and problems go away immediately? While driving? Or on restarting it?

Iā€™d appreciate any help. Thanks!

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In my situation, when I was having the issues, the ESS/CC dash light was not on at initial startup when I would turn the car on. Those lights would come on every time I shifted beyond 4th gear and would stay on for the remainder of the drive. Then when Iā€™d start it again the lights werenā€™t on.

When I did the neg cable removal and later started the car, the dash lights did not turn on, and they have not come back. Appears the top gear relearn worked.

I never had service 4wd light though. I programmed for 4.88ā€™s and 37ā€™s long before doing the neg cable removal.