Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Wb880 indicated the tech said his TSB came out yesterday (July 31). So either his tech was way off, or it is a different TSB.
I read that. I'm just not sure I believe it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 4XE
Is the play gone from the steering wheel?
At MOST I might have about 1/2 inch play more like 1/3 of an inch. It drives very similar in response to my 2017 Durango police car, and 2017 and 2018 chargers. Just got back from a quick cruse. I now can prop up my left elbow on the window sill and use only my index finger and thumb to control the rubicon. Before, I had to use my entire hand and/or both hands on the highway.

It really does drive like a normal vehicle now.

Last edited:

HighDeaf1080p

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2dr Sting Gray
"it just came out yesterday" is a great way to explain away why it wasn't performed on the last three visits about the same issue. Probably a standard story given to customers.

OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 4XE
"it just came out yesterday" is a great way to explain away why it wasn't performed on the last three visits about the same issue. Probably a standard story given to customers.
Could be. I am just relaying my experience and satisfaction now. I had this problem from day one back in April when I bought it. This was my 3rd time to the dealer about the steering and second on the speedometer. I really feel that things were fixed this time.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Could be. I am just relaying my experience and satisfaction now. I had this problem from day one back in April when I bought it. This was my 3rd time to the dealer about the steering and second on the speedometer. I really feel that things were fixed this time.
I feel the same way about my Jeep now. My steering issue was BAD and after the reconfiguration, it is completely resolved. I have only the slightest bit of play in the steering now which in my experience is normal for a vehicle equipped with a front solid axle.

Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
can anyone else confirm this TSB solved their issue?

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

HighDeaf1080p

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2dr Sting Gray
Wb880 and xtrooper, this us is great news. I couldn't be happier for you guys, and all of us. Sorry to the guys who ended up giving up and trading their Jeep before a fix came along.

Whether this is two different TSBs or the same one, at least people will start getting results as we move forward. I was a little concerned about my order but I'm not now...I know if mine shows up with a steering issue (either one) that I will get it resolved eventually.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Guys... it doesn't matter when the TSB was issued. The TSB is only advice to the dealerships to do something. This update could have been done weeks or months ago. I had mine done back in June and it's driven better ever since. Just go to your dealership and tell them your PCM needs to be reflashed.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Guys... it doesn't matter when the TSB was issued. The TSB is only advice to the dealerships to do something. This update could have been done weeks or months ago. I had mine done back in June and it's driven better ever since. Just go to your dealership and tell them your PCM needs to be reflashed.
A TSB number is more helpful. Some of us don't have access to decent service departments. Example #5034 - When considering to wait for a 2019 vs 2018 JL, in February 2018 I went to the service department and asked for the senior Advisor and asked him if there was any major problems with the 2018s or if I should wait for 2019. He said "2019 Wranglers are already out". I said no, the 2019 Cherokees are already out, the Wranglers are either JL or JK 2018. He began to tell me that he has been working for Jeep for 10+ years and he knows what he is talking about. When I asked him to show me, we walked to the lot and he said "see, the one's with the slanted grilles are 2019s". I walked him over to the sticker and said no, those are 2018 JLs. He said "oh".

So saying the PCM needs to be reflashed might go way over his head, so I want the TSB number (either the new TSB number or to confirm the old one is the new one) to make it idiot proof. Making an appointment at the dealership is over 30 days out so I need to make the visit count.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If a TSB isn’t assigned to your VIN most of the time it won’t get done. Not all techs are proactive when you bring your Jeep in. You have is actual settings from the flash from the OP, take those numbers to your dealership and ask them to replicate them see if it fixes it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
A TSB number is more helpful. Some of us don't have access to decent service departments. Example #5034 - When considering to wait for a 2019 vs 2018 JL, in February 2018 I went to the service department and asked for the senior Advisor and asked him if there was any major problems with the 2018s or if I should wait for 2019. He said "2019 Wranglers are already out". I said no, the 2019 Cherokees are already out, the Wranglers are either JL or JK 2018. He began to tell me that he has been working for Jeep for 10+ years and he knows what he is talking about. When I asked him to show me, we walked to the lot and he said "see, the one's with the slanted grilles are 2019s". I walked him over to the sticker and said no, those are 2018 JLs. He said "oh".

So saying the PCM needs to be reflashed might go way over his head, so I want the TSB number (either the new TSB number or to confirm the old one is the new one) to make it idiot proof. Making an appointment at the dealership is over 30 days out so I need to make the visit count.
Does anyone have a link to the TSB, I am taking my JLU in on the 6th of Aug and would like to have a copy of it in hand @JeepCares Jasmine can you make sure my Case worker is advised of this

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If a TSB isn’t assigned to your VIN most of the time it won’t get done. Not all techs are proactive when you bring your Jeep in. You have is actual settings from the flash from the OP, take those numbers to your dealership and ask them to replicate them see if it fixes it.
Yes, we know that if the TSB isn't assigned to our VIN number that most techs kick the can down the road. That's why we are trying to get the TSB number that WB880 had performed on his vehicle so we can insist they perform the fix. Most of us have no idea how to get the settings from the flash without specific instructions, tools, equipment, etc. and if we ask the tech to do it, they have a blank stare.

Check out this great reply from Tharris about the incompetent dealerships: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...y-how-much-is-normal.12526/page-2#post-311286 This is why we have to tell them exactly what to do. Most dealerships say "it is a Jeep thing" and it ISN'T!!!! I've test driven other exact models that don't have this steering problem.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Not likely. Stories don't result in resolution. This sounds like the software fix many have been waiting / hoping for.

p.s. I doubt the TSB number matters. My guess is that "central systems" has been updated and any reflash will load the revised software. Reflashes on the JL are from Mopar, not local from the dealer. In other words it wouldn't matter which dealer you went to or what TSB number you gave them. The dealer will link to the mother computer and it will download what it's been programmed to download (based on your VIN number).
Sponsored