Sponsored

My Steering Issues Have Been Fixed!

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 4XE
I dropped my JL Rubicon off this morning to my local dealer to fix my wandering speedometer issues.

They have known about my steering issues since I bought it new in April. Wandering on the road, and dead spot of about an inch in each direction from dead center (basically all the issues everyone has been talking about).

The Lead Tech working on my JL today found a new TSB that came out last night and applied the update to mine.

He explained it to me that the hydro-assist was turned down from 0 to -8 in my Rubicon.

I got in and immediately noticed that the steering was a little more difficult to turn, but not bad. I would say if is was 100% before it might me 150% now.

My dead spot is GONE, and it drives straight! Feels like any other SUV or truck that I have driven.

I do not have a TSB number, and it is not listed on my paperwork.

I wanted to let everyone know if you are having the steering issues to get it to your local dealer and have them apply/flash the steering update.
Sponsored

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
Bump for more info on the tsb.

OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is all I have from today. It is job 3

IMG_3682.JPG

Also here was my speedometer issue. It would randomly jump one mph every drive cycle. It would randomly reset after awhile, but it made the speedometer completely unreliable.

IMG_3452.JPG

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I KNOW a bunch of people will pile on but this is great news and we need to know!! :like:

Also, I had the same speedometer issue but it resolved itself after about 1500 miles. Thought my vision was off!!!

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can you call tomorrow and get the TSB#, and post it?
I'm on the phone now on hold 6:05pm PT with JL support at 866-362-2146 trying to get the TSB #. You might want to call and ask as well, but tell them it doesn't show up in a VIN search thus must be new or hasn't been sent out yet.

Update: They insisted then can only look up TSB# s by VIN. Ugh.

Last edited:
OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told it came out yesterday. Mine just happened to be at the dealer at the right time to get it applied. The change in steering was so dramatic that I had the call the service advisor on the way home and tell him the good news.

I cannot call the dealer until Saturday I am on 14hr days the next 2 days and out of cell range.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was told it came out yesterday. Mine just happened to be at the dealer at the right time to get it applied. The change in steering was so dramatic that I had the call the service advisor on the way home and tell him the good news.

I cannot call the dealer until Saturday I am on 14hr days the next 2 days and out of cell range.
How about Jeep Chat? They should be able to look up your VIN number and give you the TSB number. https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just tried calling. The system is not updated yet. They told me to call the dealer tomorrow:(

Sponsored

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
A "vehicle reconfiguration" is the procedure described in TSB # 08-092-18 which was released on July 7th and which solved my steering problem when my dealer re-flashed my Jeep on July 11th. The reconfiguration includes updating the electro-hydraulic power steering (EHPS) calibrations. I believe the TSB remedy performed on your Jeep was likely this same TSB and not a brand-new one. In any case, I'm glad to read that your steering issue has been resolved. It's great having a vehicle that actually responds to your steering inputs!

NUMBER: 0809218
GROUP: 08 Electrical
DATE: July 7, 2018

SUBJECT:
Low Steering Assist at Highway Speeds
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves using wiTECH 2 to perform a Restore Vehicle Configuration routine. The reconfiguration will update the ElectroHydraulic
Power Steering (EHPS) calibrations.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A "vehicle reconfiguration" is the procedure described in TSB # 08-092-18 which was released on July 7th and which solved my steering problem when my dealer re-flashed my Jeep on July 11th. The reconfiguration includes updating the electro-hydraulic power steering (EHPS) calibrations. I believe the TSB remedy performed on your Jeep was likely this same TSB and not a brand-new one. In any case, I'm glad to read that your steering issue has been resolved. It's great having a vehicle that actually responds to your steering inputs!

NUMBER: 0809218
GROUP: 08 Electrical
DATE: July 7, 2018

SUBJECT:
Low Steering Assist at Highway Speeds
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves using wiTECH 2 to perform a Restore Vehicle Configuration routine. The reconfiguration will update the ElectroHydraulic
Power Steering (EHPS) calibrations.
Wb880 indicated the tech said his TSB came out yesterday (July 31). So either his tech was way off, or it is a different TSB.

D-Mo

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I am having the same steering issues. Also, my odometer randomly shows 999999 for a while upon startup until I drive it for a while and, on a couple of occasions, my radio volume goes up and down while listening to the FM radio. Anyone having these issues or have suggestions/ideas?

OP
OP

wb880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The tech did say it just came out. It could be the same tsb but not sure. I know my steering feels different at all speeds and not just highway speeds.