303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You can also change the settings to show a little number down by D to highlight what gear you are in.

There is another MPG page that shows your average MPG since the trip computer was last reset.
Can you please explain how to get the gear you are in to display?
Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Old school is more accurate.

But over the last 7000 miles my computer and my manual calculations have gotten closer, to the point they are within about 0.5-0.7 mpg apart
Old school is dead-on accurate IF you fill the tank to the same level both times. Thatā€™s a big IF with JL. I donā€™t think you can trust clickoff, especially with different pumps.
Iā€™m good with the onscreen number.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Doing 75-80 from OKC to Santa Fe and back. I will say on the way back the wind was blowing and it felt like the hand of God was pushing her down the road :)

20190421_145837.jpg
Well, they are as much of bricks in the back as they are in the front. Itā€™s like a large sail that caught all the wind. You literally floated back home. Lol

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
One thing to realize about the discrepancy between the manual math and the computer average is that the computer will get to a point where old data is purged. So the computer is only displaying the average for the past X Miles/time period... It seems like it doesn't even last a full gas tank.
I use one of the trip odometers and reset the mpg with every fill-up. It is fairly accurate that way - within 1/2 to 1 mpg of hand calculations.

Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Old school is dead-on accurate IF you fill the tank to the same level both times. Thatā€™s a big IF with JL. I donā€™t think you can trust clickoff, especially with different pumps.
Iā€™m good with the onscreen number.
I have a favorite station where I get 80-90% of my gas. It has a downslope at the pump, so I'm thinking that the most gas possible is getting into the tank before whatever condition it is that triggers the pumps to cut off (since the filler neck is at the very rear). I also then give it one more squeeze, and that always adds pretty damn near 0.2 gal without spilling.

I'm old school in figuring mpg. The computer averages about 0.5 mpg higher than the manual calculation, and that difference fluctuates.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I have a favorite station where I get 80-90% of my gas. It has a downslope at the pump, so I'm thinking that the most gas possible is gettying into the tank before whatever condition it is that triggers the pumps to cut off (since the filler neck is at the very rear). I also then give it one more squeeze, and that always adds pretty damn near 0.2 gal without spilling.

I'm old school in figuring mpg. The cumputer averages about 0.5 mpg higher than the manual calculation, and that difference fluctuates.
How could I presume to argue about such things with a man whose screen name is ā€œliquidsā€? Sounds like you have a squared-away system. But just randomly filling up to clickoff at one station, and then at another, could lead to significant error, given the JLā€™s fickle nature regarding receiving fuel, I reckon.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About 9k miles on mine now (3.6 manual) and I average about 22.5-23 mpg in summer and 20-20.5 in winter. Mix of city and suburban driving. (I drive smoothly, but few cars pass me.) Whoever said that keeping the rpms between about 1500 and 2000 was best for mileage was right.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How could I presume to argue about such things with a man whose screen name is ā€œliquidsā€? Sounds like you have a squared-away system. But just randomly filling up to clickoff at one station, and then at another, could lead to significant error, given the JLā€™s fickle nature regarding receiving fuel, I reckon.
Agreed. That probably why I like that gas station.

AKLiving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
After a 2,600 mile trip I can say my computer MPG was always over reported. It varies by the tank which accounts for variation in the amount of gas I could get in at different stations with different pumps. But when calculating the entire trip average the computer was still over ā€˜estimating.ā€™ After as many tanks as I filled the variables in full shutoff would have cancelled out except for the very last tank. I can also verify that my computer average was not tracking lifetime average. It wasnā€™t clear how far back the computation goes but. I still got about 20mpg for a stock JLUR 3.6 auto. Over 60mph and the mpg drops quickly (most of the time I drove closer to 65-70). This was compared to out stock LJ 4.0 6-man getting 14-16mpg with a 19gallon thank that never could get completely full. The JLU is taller, wider, heavier, and has bigger tires. Iā€™m very happy.

Sponsored

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Just did 200 miles on 35" BFG KO2's with an average speed of 70mph and a 20-ish mph head wind. Got an average of 12.2 mpg.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I use one of the trip odometers and reset the mpg with every fill-up. It is fairly accurate that way - within 1/2 to 1 mpg of hand calculations.
Thats what I did the first few fill ups. I determined it is Reasonably accurate and I just go by the computer now. :)
Sponsored